snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Closed Thread

Old 20 April 2017, 02:14 AM

The bean is name after the organ. I don't think there is certainty as to how the organ was named.
Old 20 April 2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
I don't think there is certainty as to how the organ was named.
In looking that up (and it does indeed appear to be uncertain) I came across this fascinating bit of information, though I haven't checked it:

Quote:
the terms for testicle and kidney were often interchangeable in Germanic
Old 23 April 2017, 02:53 AM

Mouse

Just for fun, I thought I'd start a discussion related to The Purge franchise. We can talk about all the many, many issues with that franchise until the end of time. If the whole thing was played off as a dark satire, it would be more enjoyable, but the people involved take it deathly serious and seem to believe it is something that could actually happen.

But I always thought the worst part of this franchise, is how disturbingly unimaginative the movies are. On a night when all crime is legal, everyone goes straight to murder, even though there is so many more hijinks to be had. Just for once, I want a short film or something where a character takes advantage of the Purge to break some of those silly laws every state has on book. Like have someone be like, "I'm tying a giraffe to a telephone pole. Who's gonna stop me?"

Anyway, thought I'd turn this question over to the Snopes-verse: if something like The Purge existed, which laws would you use the hours to break? Again, try to be more original than rape or murder.

Me, I'm wondering if I could lie like hell on my taxes, claim I have like a million dependent, so I can weasel out of paying as many taxes as possible. If I file them during the Purge, I'm covered legally, aren't I?
Old 23 April 2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Anyway, thought I'd turn this question over to the Snopes-verse: if something like The Purge existed, which laws would you use the hours to break? Again, try to be more original than rape or murder.
Some of the more ridiculous anti-sex laws come to mind. Oral sex on the state house steps! Take that, law-makers!!! Nya-ha-ha- ooooh.
Old 23 April 2017, 07:36 PM

Mattress tags. 'Nuff said.
Old 24 April 2017, 03:30 PM

DMCA violations...

Possibly pirating copies of the Purge movies.

Old 24 April 2017, 06:33 PM

I'd dump toxic waste on the lawns of rich asshats.
Old 24 April 2017, 07:53 PM

Unfortunately, Beachlife!, it wouldn't stay there; it would wind up in the general groundwater.

-- hmm. I'd be tempted to steal a pile of money from somebody who's got multiple such piles. But there would probably be lines of people waiting to do so, and the overly-rich would be poor themselves by the time I could get there. Plus which, I don't suppose that's very original.

Break all the outdoor lights in the county, so I could come closer to seeing the stars properly at night?
Old 24 April 2017, 08:25 PM

Go into restaurants where families are eating dinner together but everyone is eyeball-deep in their phones, throw the phones on the ground and bash them to pieces.
Old 24 April 2017, 08:34 PM

That would suck, if it turned out they were (for example) playing a game together, or working together to notify others of urgent family news.
Old 25 April 2017, 02:27 AM

Mouse

I'm with Lainie. I'd rather be next to a table full of people playing around with their phones, than a table full of noisy a-holes. The phone people are just being themselves and they aren't harming anyone else.

Though I am totally on board with Thorny Locust's idea. Light Pollution sucks! Though would you have to pretty much crash the power grid in order to do so? Yeah, I know, all Crime is legal, but I like to know the scope of a crime before I commit it.
Old 25 April 2017, 04:01 AM

I love being with my family together for lunch or whatever and everyone's using their phone. We're enjoying each other's company and also doing our own thing. What could be better?

Recently we have agreed to watch the same show we all love during dinner. Coming from various backgrounds, countries, and being spread over more than 40 years, it's amazing we can find anything we all love. Now we've seen pretty much all 150 episodes and we are rewatching the ones we like best and I keep thinking, sometimes it's OK to just read your own book, play your own game, knit your sweater, or whatever. Yes, watching the same show together or having a family conversation are also good fun but it doesn't have to be every time.
Old 25 April 2017, 05:01 AM

Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Break all the outdoor lights in the county, so I could come closer to seeing the stars properly at night?
Easier to make your way to the coast, steal a yacht, and sail far, far over the horizon, into the dark Atlantic night. Lose yourself in the stars, if you will, but take a care not to get lost at sea. Night falls early in the summer months.
Old 25 April 2017, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
take a care not to get lost at sea. Night falls early in the summer months.
So she'll just have to learn how to use a sextant.
Old 25 April 2017, 10:12 AM

Baseball

I'll say this, one of the only good things about my deployment to Kabul was that the city had almost no light at night. So, I was able to see stars like I had never had before.

This was the time when Mars was making that "close approach" to earth, and I saw it getting brighter and brighter as time passed on.

I am a surveyor, and despite the fact that I was working in the HQ there, a talk with some of my former survey colleagues got me to borrow some survey instrumentation. 30x magnification is not the best, but given the visibility, I was super impressed. Even saw a couple of Jupiter's moons (or at least thought I could).
Old 25 April 2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
That would suck, if it turned out they were (for example) playing a game together, or working together to notify others of urgent family news.
It also would suck if the Purge were a real thing I imagine plenty other innocents would get swept up in the fray!

edited to remove unnecssary explanation.

Last edited by mbravo; 25 April 2017 at 12:25 PM.
Old 25 April 2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
Easier to make your way to the coast, steal a yacht, and sail far, far over the horizon, into the dark Atlantic night. Lose yourself in the stars, if you will, but take a care not to get lost at sea. Night falls early in the summer months.
But I'd need to learn how to sail a yacht. While I haven't done it, at least not on purpose, I'm pretty sure I know how to break a light.

-- that does sound like fun, though. But doesn't night fall late in the summer months, not early?
Old 25 April 2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
Now we've seen pretty much all 150 episodes and we are rewatching the ones we like best and I keep thinking, sometimes it's OK to just read your own book, play your own game, knit your sweater, or whatever. Yes, watching the same show together or having a family conversation are also good fun but it doesn't have to be every time.
I grew up long before smartphones and my family and I certainly spent lots of time entertaining ourselves independently. Even when Mom and my brothers and I were all in the living room (Dad liked to read in his bedroom at night), we weren't necessarily all doing the same thing.
Old 25 April 2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I grew up long before smartphones and my family and I certainly spent lots of time entertaining ourselves independently. Even when Mom and my brothers and I were all in the living room (Dad liked to read in his bedroom at night), we weren't necessarily all doing the same thing.
I'd be surprised if there were many families who expected everyone to do the same thing all the time! What my family did expect was that if we sat down to a family meal together none of us were allowed to read a book while we were eating. I made the same rule with my kids (although I had to expand that rule to include handheld video games).

In these days of smartphones I can guarantee that few things will get me angrier than someone constantly checking and/or outright using their phone when they are supposedly spending time with me. If we're all doing our own thing, knock yourself out, if you're having dinner with me in my house or doing any kind of shared activity and you'd actually rather focus on whatever you can do on your phone? Go away and use your phone then. You've made your choice and it's not me. I can live with that, just don't waste my time.

Last edited by Sue; 25 April 2017 at 02:38 PM.
Old 25 April 2017, 02:52 PM

That's fine, if those are your rules for your meals.

My objection is to the idea of assuming that a group of strangers who are using smartphones at the table are ignoring each other or being rude. An observer has no way of knowing that.

Maybe they're playing a game together. Maybe they've been hanging out together all day and are just taking a few minutes to catch up on emails. Maybe they're planning their next outing. We don't know. And even if we did, it's none of our business.

ETA: In fact, I remember a meal with my brothers, during my mother's long decline. It was a family meeting to figure out how we were going to bring her home for whatever time she had left. There were times during that meal when D was texting with his wife about childcare arrangements, and J and I were researching hospice care resources. We weren't ignoring each other or being rude, we were just managing our lives -- and at a very difficult time.
Closed Thread