snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 23 August 2016, 12:39 AM

Default Little things that make you happy

I took a walk on the beach this evening. It was quiet, calm and peaceful, and there was a puppy, and a pretty sunset.
Old 23 August 2016, 12:16 PM

That my new house has an easily accessible laundry room on the main level, with a space under the stairs that is perfect for the cats' litter boxes. My old house had a generous sized laundry room, but you had to go downstairs and wind your way through the garage to get to it, so leaving the door between the house and the garage open wasn't a good idea just so the cats could get down there. This meant years of creatively hiding the litter boxes (which was easy when I was living alone--just put them in the closet of the spare bedroom, but got difficult whenever I acquired a roommate). It was a PITA. Now the cats have a permanent place for their business that'll never have to be moved all about the house.
Old 23 August 2016, 02:52 PM

Switching from coffee to tea (less acid) and I'm really a HUGE coffee fan, so this is hard. First day is today. But I'm enjoying my tea right now with a dollop of agave nectar, and it smells and tastes delicious!
Old 23 August 2016, 03:42 PM

RG, I am drinking a lot more tea now - not a full switch but particularly at home, having tea instead of coffee much of the time. One thing I appreciate about tea is the many flavors available. Another thing is that black, green and white tea have all been shown to have healthy attributes, so I will change around among those, as well as having some herbal teas. I don't particularly search for a particular symptomologic effect, but I figure that there are likely substances that the body will take up if it has a use for them.
Old 23 August 2016, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reading Girl View Post
Switching from coffee to tea (less acid) and I'm really a HUGE coffee fan, so this is hard. First day is today.
Depending on whether you also drink caffeinated sodas, and of course whether the coffee you'd been drinking was nocaf, your caffeine consumption may be dropping drastically. If you get headaches, mood problems, and/or difficulty staying awake, you may find it easier to taper off the coffee over a week or two, rather than stopping it suddenly.
Old 24 August 2016, 06:05 PM

Cheer

Thanks to the anti-viral, the shingles is clearing up. WOOT!
Old 24 August 2016, 09:52 PM

Icon23

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Depending on whether you also drink caffeinated sodas, and of course whether the coffee you'd been drinking was nocaf, your caffeine consumption may be dropping drastically. If you get headaches, mood problems, and/or difficulty staying awake, you may find it easier to taper off the coffee over a week or two, rather than stopping it suddenly.
There are a lot of variables we do not know, but the beverage the general term 'tea' is usually understood to mean is pretty hefty in caffeine itself. Of course, besides a question of what type of coffee was drunk before, there is a question of what type of tea is now being drunk - herbal, decaf, iced (because it is usually drunk in greater quantities, though not as strong), etc. Anyway, the general point is still good - watch for symptoms from the change. Another one that might be significant is that many people find coffee seems to have a moderate laxative effect, so if it was a big part of your regularity, a time for adjustment may be needed.
Old 25 August 2016, 12:58 AM

I not only found a solution to a major problem, I found a solution that can turn a profit.
Old 25 August 2016, 06:20 PM

Cheer

Made a Costco run last evening and got a parking spot right outside the door!

Dawn--and in other news, Hell freezes over--Storm
Old 26 August 2016, 01:24 PM

Whalephant

There is a praying mantis on one of our lobby doors.
https://thumbp17-bf1.mail.yahoo.com/...=85&fullscan=1
Old 26 August 2016, 07:21 PM

Listening to a 4 year old count for Hide and Seek. He's good for a while and then becomes a random number generator. One of numbers was "ten-four".
Old 26 August 2016, 10:18 PM

My almost 3 year old niece can count to eleven-teen. So cute.
Old 29 August 2016, 06:03 AM

Hey, my 4 year old son can count to "nine-invinity", which is even more than "eight-infinity"!

He's good up to about 25 or so, then he starts to stumble.
Old 29 August 2016, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aud 1 View Post
Listening to a 4 year old count for Hide and Seek. He's good for a while and then becomes a random number generator. One of numbers was "ten-four".
Is he on a two way radio.
Old 29 August 2016, 12:23 PM

Seeing my Iris kitten in the dining room window, watching me go, as I leave for work in the morning.
Old 29 August 2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
Hey, my 4 year old son can count to "nine-invinity", which is even more than "eight-infinity"!

He's good up to about 25 or so, then he starts to stumble.
My 4-year old refuses to acknowledge the existence of 15. She just goes from 14 to 16, no matter what I say. I think that its since 15 doesn't have a five in it, but some weird fif number instead.
Old 29 August 2016, 02:08 PM

Glasses

I have two things. First, congratulations Brad from Georgia. I saw this on Bill Holbrook's Fastrak page:
Quote:
The Great Bird Conspiracy on stage at Dragoncon! Major Announcement! Dragoncon will kick off with a live presentation of “Kevin & Kell: The Great Bird Conspiracy” performed by the talented Atlanta Radio Theater Company, led by Bill Ritch and adapted by Brad Strickland.
Second, I got my sunglasses back! I pays to check the lost in found in person, I guess. Saturday, I went up to check the parking lot one last time, and the lost and found at Fred Meyer. I lost them quite close to the restaurant and quite far from the Freddie's, but thought it was worth a look. They had the glasses, but I doubt a phone call would've turned them up. They hadn't looked in the case and so didn't realize they were sunglasses.

Seaboe
Old 29 August 2016, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
... lost in found ... lost and found
I was about to give a picky correction about 'lost in found' but hesitated because phonetic spelling in posts often leads to such things even when we know better. Glad I read on and saw you had it right later, confirming the first was just a typing boo-boo.
And having paused to check the facts is a LTTMMH.

LTTMMH2: Also, I needed boxes. It has previously been a challenge to get god boxes from stores, but the local Kroger let me take a bunch of nice clean empty apple boxes.
LTTMMH3: this is also the Kroger that almost always has an urn of hot coffee available. Though it did not get made yesterday - making me scared the practice was over - it was there again today. And BTW, it is as good coffee as I can get anywhere, and a lot better than the instant I have at home.

Last edited by A Turtle Named Mack; 29 August 2016 at 06:58 PM.
Old 29 August 2016, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
to get god boxes from stores
What is the rule about when you comment on another poster's typo?
Old 29 August 2016, 07:34 PM

Another reason I was reluctant to jump on it, and in fact, I had to correct 'sonfirming' as I tend to interchange s and c while typing because they both have the ssss sound. And BTW, as noted once I confirmed it was a typo rather than a misuse (like 'one in the same' - a similar and common misuse that annoys me), I merely noted that no correction was appropriate.