snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 29 May 2016, 03:51 PM

Default Letters you wish you could send

Since the old thread is closed......

D,

I get a little tired of your lame excuses of, "Oh, I'm so horrible about remembering to call people to hang out." Especially when this excuse only ever seems to apply to me (you certainly have no trouble calling J, or M, or anybody else you know.)

But you certainly have no problems remembering to call me when you need somebody to watch your dog for you. Hope you weren't too terribly shocked that the answer was no, but 1.) I'm tired of feeling like you only remember me when you need something, 2.) It was a bit last minute, and 3.) Next weekend is my birthday weekend, and I am going to spoil and pamper myself at an all-day trip to the spa and then be out most of that same night. I really don't want to worry about getting back to the house to let a dog out.

Regards,
She Who Apparently Only Exists When You Need Her

Sister,

I'm about to slap your rolly eyes out of your head. Let's get something straight--you're living a pretty sweet life in one of the most desirable cities in the U.S. on the cheap right now. So if I ask you to pull the grass/weeds from the rock beds/mulch beds around the house, then you can damn well do it cheerfully, instead of acting like a petulant teenager--which is really pretty embarrassing since you're 37 years old. You should be *offering* to help out and make my life easier, not sitting around waiting to be asked and then copping an attitude when you are. You think I'm being unfair, then by all means, move out and get your own place. Good luck finding anything in Denver half as nice as what you've got now, with all the amenities and conveniences, without paying 4 times as much for it. Or you could go back to St. Louis, by all means. Tell me how much you'll like living with dad back at the old house (and I know for a fact he'll put your ass to work around the house.) Or try and crash with your friends--and let me know how long they'll put up with your entitled little ass.

Irritated,
Older Sister
(Who actually did say some of this to her)
Old 30 May 2016, 01:59 AM

Dear online job search e-mailers,
Your e-mails correctly note that I could be interested in attorney jobs. So why would you repeatedly list jobs for train conductors, otolaryngologists and massage therapists, among other totally irrelevant positions for which I have shown no interest, aptitude or licensure!?!?!?!
Old 30 May 2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
Your e-mails correctly note that I could be interested in attorney jobs. So why would you repeatedly list jobs for train conductors, otolaryngologists and massage therapists, among other totally irrelevant positions for which I have shown no interest, aptitude or licensure!?!?!?!
Dear ATNM,

Come on... who WOULDN'T want to be a train conductor?

Choo CHOO!!! Allllllllll aboard!

Old 30 May 2016, 12:56 PM

Yeah, how do you know you won't like those jobs unless you try them out.
Old 30 May 2016, 04:43 PM

Okay, I'll confess I really thought about that one. I took the deposition of a train conductor, and it sounded like a pretty nice gig, but it takes a long period of time before you actually get to be the conductor.
Old 31 May 2016, 12:22 PM

Jaded

Quote:
When I was looking for work, I got of insurance and realtor jobs sent my way.
Old 31 May 2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
but it takes a long period of time before you actually get to be the conductor.
Do you start as a semi-conductor?
Old 31 May 2016, 02:14 PM

I'm sure such a job takes a lot of training. What does it take to engineer such a thing? Other than getting off your caboose and making tracks, of course.
Old 31 May 2016, 03:00 PM

Teacher

Well as long as (g)you stay on the right track and can carry the freight, you'll be fine. You just have to pull, man.
Old 01 June 2016, 11:55 AM

Icon05

Dear local weekend talk show I listen to* and conservatives in general: where in President Obama's speech at Hiroshima did he apologize for the A-Bomb? All I heard was a reference to that event and the desire for a nuclear free world. Perhaps you were at the Libertarian Party convention and got NFBSK'd-faced?

Confused listener

*provided I wake up early enough to hear at least part of the show.
Old 01 June 2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
Dear local weekend talk show I listen to* and conservatives in general: where in President Obama's speech at Hiroshima did he apologize for the A-Bomb? All I heard was a reference to that event and the desire for a nuclear free world. Perhaps you were at the Libertarian Party convention and got NFBSK'd-faced?
Here's a handy link in case anyone comes across this on social media

http://www.snopes.com/obama-apology-hiroshima/
Old 01 June 2016, 02:16 PM

Anything less than saying "HAH! We bombed you, you deserved it, and we will do it again!" counts as an apology. Why does Obama hate America?
Old 01 June 2016, 02:30 PM

Icon13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
Anything less than saying "HAH! We bombed you, you deserved it, and we will do it again!" counts as an apology. Why does Obama hate America?
Ah! Got it! So I just look at everything through a dogmatic lens and to hell with really thinking about a particular issue. OK. Sorry, I outgrew that attitude a long time ago.
Old 04 June 2016, 12:06 PM

Whalephant

Dear Purchasing Department,

What we order does not get paid out of your personal bank account. Just order the things.

Sincerely,
tired of having to scrounge up supplies
Old 04 June 2016, 08:51 PM

Dear universe:

Ever since we started large animal services in March, I feel like Dr N is getting all the appointments and I'm getting all the emergencies. What gives? Seriously, two colics, a septic foal and a down cow? While Dr N gets to float teeth and give needles. Not cool!

Dr Keket, who'd like to get more than 4 hours of sleep tonight...
Old 05 June 2016, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Not quite the same thing but the last time I was studying I was on the books for on call casual work. You know when some calls in sick and they need someone quickly. Because I was studying I only said I was available on the days I wasn't in class. But I would regularly get calls while I was actually in class asking if I was available. One of the woman also on the books said that at times they just got desperate, but heck I was available on the particular day I would have said.

It was usually mindless processing work on the outskirts of the city and I don't drive so difficult to get to so I wasn't exactly keen on it but it meant I would pay the bills. But getting these calls just added to the whole annoyance of being in this situation.
Old 05 June 2016, 10:05 AM

Yeah those job placement agencies/services usually don't care what you've said, they just want someone to fill the position so they'll call whoever they've got on their books.

The last time I was placed in a job it was described to me as a data entry position with some phone duties, turns out the job was almost completely phone duties with a tiny amount of data entry. Tricked again! I've done a whooooole bunch of temp phone agency jobs in my past and I'm well and truly over them (and I'd let the agency know that in no uncertain terms) so I was not impressed.
Old 05 June 2016, 04:04 PM

Dasla,
I can understand their calling you in that situation - classes might be cancelled for that day, or you may have forgotten to update your availability. A little annoyance to answer, and if you want work, it always hurts a little to pass something up, but they are at least giving you the chance in case you are available
Old 08 June 2016, 12:56 AM

Icon02

Dear everybody who needs to hear this,

Next time, we are coordinating this move differently. Because right now, I, aka the girl whose anxieties have anxieties, am being forced to be a pillar of strength and calm for my brother who is really upset by all this. It's exhausting and nd I keep trying to think of an accurate metaphor for all this. I'd say it's like asking Boris Yeltsin to stay sober, but that feels insensitive. Maybe like Barney Gumble? He's a fictional character so it's okay for me to use him.

In short, NFBSK you, moving!

Signed,

A Stressed-Out Rodent
Old 08 June 2016, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post

In short, NFBSK you, moving!

Signed,

A Stressed-Out Rodent
I feel your pain.

Between my birth, and 10 years old, my mom raised me alone. We were forced to move quite a bit, and led a fairly nomadic lifestyle. I don't blame her at all for it, she had no choice, and was doing the best she could. But because of that, I grew to absolutely and completely detest moving.

I still do.

When we decided to make an offer on our current house, I looked at DW, and asked "Are you absolutely sure? Because if we buy it, we're going to be here a loooooong time." That was 18 years ago this month.