snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 23 March 2016, 06:43 PM

Poppyseed hamentashchen, mmmmmmm . . .

[ETA: now that's at the top of the page, which makes it look like something I just learned today. Not so.

I did just learn today that the woman I bought several frozen farm-partially-outdoors-raised chickens from last fall has some more that she wants to sell me. She has succeeded in doing so, though I still have to get over there and pick them up.]
Old 23 March 2016, 06:45 PM

Hamentaschen sound delicious. But I still want cherry blintzes.
Old 23 March 2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
We do like to eat well!

possibly in part due to historical -- and in some cases still living -- memories of deprivation. That I suspect is also where the "Eat, eat!" social impulse comes from: eat while you've got the chance; today, at least, there's plenty of food, but who knows about tomorrow?

-- Many of the traditional foods are things that used to be cheap; though often, the world having shifted, they aren't any longer (lox, especially, comes to mind here.)
"They tried to kill us, they failed, let's eat!"
Old 29 March 2016, 07:42 PM

Yesterday, I learned that there is a company that makes caskets for miscarried fetuses.
Old 30 March 2016, 04:25 AM

Mouse

Today, I learned that many foods have more potassium than bananas. I was led to believe that bananas were loaded with them; now I'm like, "How many lies have I been believing all these years?" Turns out one of these foods that has more potassium is watermelon, which makes me happy though. Watermelon is just awesome, filled with so many wonderful memories, and since it's still only stocked in summer, it may be the one fruit that modern agriculture hasn't rendered completely tasteless, in their efforts to make us enjoy all fruits/vegetables all year round.
Old 30 March 2016, 02:14 PM

Glasses

I hate to break it to you, Mouse, but you can get watermelon year around. On the other hand, it can be tasteless in the summer, too, so there's that.

smittykins, that's interesting information; I hope it's not also bad news for a loved one.

I learned that even 35 year old Superfund cases never die, they just go dormant, and that remembering details of that old case impresses people out of all proportion to the accomplishment.

Seaboe
Old 30 March 2016, 02:19 PM

Last night I learned that Mod Podge has never changed its logo in 40 years, and that it produces a much wider range of products than I realized.
Old 30 March 2016, 02:24 PM

Watermelon flavor, IME, varies considerably between varieties.

Try some Blacktail Mountain, if you can find it; which, unless you grow your own, may not be easy. A farmers' market might have some, however. (It's a small "icebox" type, red flesh, yes it does have seeds.)

And did you know that ripe peppers have more vitamin C than oranges?

-- Thing I learned today: that a high percentage of google search results for ripe peppers and vitamin c include incorrect, or at least partially correct, information. Most of them say that red sweet peppers are riper than yellow ones: in other words, that sweet peppers start off green, then turn yellow, then turn red. This is true of a few varieties; but many varieties go straight from green to red with no yellow stage, and some varieties go from green to yellow and the yellow is the full ripe color; they have no red stage. So both yellow and red sweet peppers found in the market may be equally ripe. Some orange peppers are also fully ripe.

(As far as I know, purple peppers are never fully ripe. A few varieties have a purple color stage; but all the ones I can find turn red or orangy-red when fully ripe.)

I'll have to make sure my signage and spiel at market are clear. I've noticed that reds often sell better than yellows; it hadn't occured to me that some of the customers may think the yellows aren't ripe yet.
Old 30 March 2016, 04:49 PM

Today I learned that if I accidentally cover the white balance on the overhead scanner the scans come out like Xerox copies, but the scanner still scans.
Old 30 March 2016, 08:06 PM

The icon for the calendar app on my phone is not just a static icon of a generic "calendar day." It shows the current date and day.
Old 01 August 2017, 02:48 AM

Today I learned, on Cracked, that rock n roll was invented* by a woman in the 1930's. (Third one down. Warning for language: it is Cracked, after all.)

(I don't know the date of this clip, but apparently she first recorded the song in 1938.)

Possibly this isn't new info to others here; but it was to me. I'm still discovering large holes in my education. Probably I'll keep right on doing it.

*yes, I know. It wasn't invented by any one person out of thin air. But still.
Old 01 August 2017, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Watermelon flavor, IME, varies considerably between varieties.

Try some Blacktail Mountain, if you can find it; which, unless you grow your own, may not be easy. A farmers' market might have some, however. (It's a small "icebox" type, red flesh, yes it does have seeds.)
I'll look for those. I prefer seeded melons myself. I happen to think they have more taste.

The local mega-marts here no longer carries the seeded varieties, sadly.
("Sorry, you were about the only one buying them anymore.")

Being a pepper addict, both hot and sweet, I did know that about peppers.
Old 01 August 2017, 03:45 AM

Icon106

Quote:
Today I learned, on Cracked, that rock n roll was invented* by a woman in the 1930's.

*yes, I know. It wasn't invented by any one person out of thin air. But still.
Indeed. Consider, for instance, the unassumingly titled I Believe I'll Dust My Broom by Robert Johnson (1936).
Old 01 August 2017, 05:44 PM

Well it was actually last week, but I learned who invented the windshield wiper.

Today I learned, thanks to ASL's post in another thread, that members of the military actually have to purchase their campaign medals and such.
Old 01 August 2017, 07:02 PM

I learned today that the school board here accepts children into junior kindergarten if they will turn 4 by the end of December of the year they are enrolling. So 3 yr olds are now attending school full days? I also learned that apparently I am the only person I know who thinks this is problematic to say the least.
Old 01 August 2017, 07:07 PM

That is very bizarre, Sue, and I have to agree with the problematic part. I imagine they do it so that parents can have a free place for the kids to go while the parents worked. My kids were really just not ready for school at that age, so luckily my wife was able to stay home with them, and they were able to start school at an age that worked better for them.
Old 01 August 2017, 08:20 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I learned today that the school board here accepts children into junior kindergarten if they will turn 4 by the end of December of the year they are enrolling. So 3 yr olds are now attending school full days? I also learned that apparently I am the only person I know who thinks this is problematic to say the least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
That is very bizarre, Sue, and I have to agree with the problematic part. I imagine they do it so that parents can have a free place for the kids to go while the parents worked. My kids were really just not ready for school at that age, so luckily my wife was able to stay home with them, and they were able to start school at an age that worked better for them.
This is the answer to the fact that people don't want to pay for subsidised day care. So, the education system takes it on.
Old 01 August 2017, 08:36 PM

Canada

Yep, but the powers that be have managed to do a kick ass promotion of this to the point where I've got younger friends who are convinced that all day kindergarten is the key to success for their kids and any issues that are raised are handwaved away as being much ado about nothing. Meanwhile 3 kindergarten teachers I know personally have left the profession because of the changes. But who pays attention to what the teachers themselves have to say?

Last edited by Sue; 01 August 2017 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02 August 2017, 02:08 PM

Baseball

I learned something today.

In the "Pet Inoculation" thread, I learned that I have been spelling inoculation incorrectly all my life.

Granted, it is a word I might use once every 2 years, but I'm not a young fella. I've been spelling it as innoculation with a double 'n'.

I've had a good day as I've learned something.
Old 02 August 2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
I learned something today.

In the "Pet Inoculation" thread, I learned that I have been spelling inoculation incorrectly all my life.

Granted, it is a word I might use once every 2 years, but I'm not a young fella. I've been spelling it as innoculation with a double 'n'.

I've had a good day as I've learned something.
Perhaps you were getting it confabulated* with innocuous (which does not have a red squiggly so I feel safe that I was right )

*I'm not sure if this is the exact word I want to use.