snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 14 March 2016, 11:10 PM

Today I have learned what a leaning space at a bus shelter is (see the "Little things that make you happy" thread; though I'm not sure how happy anybody in the thread is made by leaning spaces. I am happy to know what they are, though.)
Old 15 March 2016, 12:25 AM

Today I learned about the escheatment process for unclaimed funds.

Also that my trunk leaks, and that the plastic wrapping on the package of TP I had in the trunk was torn.
Old 17 March 2016, 02:09 AM

I had gone my entire life up until today without ever thinking, "hey, what's the origin of that circus clown music?" Well, I know now, aaaand that's not a title I saw coming.
Old 17 March 2016, 02:17 AM

Today I learned that chickens have an extraordinary ability to keep their heads in a fixed position when you gently - and in the spirit of scientific enquiry - give them a bouncy ride in your hand.

While keeping their heads static, they also also have an extraordinary ability to look fed up of your human nonsense.
Old 19 March 2016, 03:28 AM

Today I learned there was a Simpsons/Futurama crossover episode from 2014 that I wasn't aware of. I normally don't like crossovers, but this one wasn't bad, because there is no such thing as bad Futurama.
Old 19 March 2016, 03:42 AM

Today I learned that my 90 year old grandmother, who's been a stanch Republican since Franklin Roosevelt's administration and who's never had a kind word to say about a Clinton, is so disgusted by Donald Trump that she's going to vote for Hillary this fall if he wins the Republican nomination.
Old 19 March 2016, 06:20 AM

I learned that Out of Africa is a very long movie. But good.
I also learned why people think Robert Redford is good looking. He was.
Old 19 March 2016, 02:15 PM

That splashing Worcester Sauce all over my sushi, in a horrid assumption being the shape, colour, size, etc, was enough to become Soy Sauce bottle was not a disaster. It was pretty good actually.

And put your glasses on Mark, stop guessing.
Old 19 March 2016, 04:44 PM

TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latiam View Post
I learned that Out of Africa is a very long movie. But good.
I also learned why people think Robert Redford is good looking. He was.
He also could be a very warm and appealing actor. Too many very pretty actors are rather lame as actors or present a sense of being too full of themselves. Look up the Twilight Zone episode he starred in - he had a decent script, but more importantly, he really sold it, every word, every gesture.
Old 21 March 2016, 03:14 PM

Glasses

Yesterday I learned (or rather, re-learned) that I have the willpower of a gnat being asked not to swarm.

Seaboe
Old 22 March 2016, 06:00 PM

Its been very recently, probably from playing World of Warcraft, that I learned Strand as a term for shore or beach.

Today, it occurred to me that strand as a verb (as in 'the ship left me stranded on an island') literally just means 'left on the shore', the same way 'beached' works.
Old 22 March 2016, 09:45 PM

Baseball

I learned that today is a day of celebration for Jewish children where they get to dress up (similar to our Hallowe'en).

I saw several princesses, a Batman and a girl dressed as Spiderman, with a tutu. It has been a breath of fresh air to see children being children after today's horrible news.
Old 22 March 2016, 09:51 PM

The holiday is called Purim and it's actually Wednesday evening and Thursday. It is based on the story in the biblical Book of Esther. But yes, it is always great to see children happy!
Old 23 March 2016, 08:01 AM

Cheating a bit because I didn't just learn this today, but a few days ago--there is apparently an herbal supplement sold in Mexico consisting of mostly B vitamins and useless roots that supposedly treats anxiety, called "me vale madre," or, loosely translated, "I don't give a sh*t."

I could use some "don't give a sh*t" pills, some days.
Old 23 March 2016, 12:29 PM

Yesterday I helped a friend move house, working from 10:30am until after 9pm. Today I learned that I can't do physical stuff like that without repercussions the next morning. Me so sore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dave View Post
The holiday is called Purim and it's actually Wednesday evening and Thursday. It is based on the story in the biblical Book of Esther. But yes, it is always great to see children happy!
I'm not Jewish but I'm a big fan of Purim, the trivia company I work for occasionally gets a gig providing the Purim entertainment for a synagogue and I always look forwards to those gigs. The food is always excellent and they always insist I eat as much as I can.
Old 23 March 2016, 01:26 PM

Icon23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
I'm not Jewish but I'm a big fan of Purim, the trivia company I work for occasionally gets a gig providing the Purim entertainment for a synagogue and I always look forwards to those gigs. The food is always excellent and they always insist I eat as much as I can.
One time when I was looking for a blood drive, I found one at a Jewish Community Center. Normally the treats at the canteen afterward were packaged cookies and crackers - meh. But at the JCC, the families (well, really the women) were asked to contribute traditional Jewish goodies for the canteen. Oh my, oh, my! They must have decided it was a competition because the ladies had so many wonderful, delicious, intriguing homemade treats that this goy had never tasted before!
Old 23 March 2016, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
Cheating a bit because I didn't just learn this today, but a few days ago--there is apparently an herbal supplement sold in Mexico consisting of mostly B vitamins and useless roots that supposedly treats anxiety, called "me vale madre," or, loosely translated, "I don't give a sh*t."

I could use some "don't give a sh*t" pills, some days.
There's a pain med called Tramadol that one of my co-workers said should be called "Damn It All."
Old 23 March 2016, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
, the trivia company I work for occasionally gets a gig providing the Purim entertainment for a synagogue and I always look forwards to those gigs. The food is always excellent and they always insist I eat as much as I can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
at a Jewish Community Center[ . . . ] Oh my, oh, my! They must have decided it was a competition because the ladies had so many wonderful, delicious, intriguing homemade treats that this goy had never tasted before!
We do like to eat well!

possibly in part due to historical -- and in some cases still living -- memories of deprivation. That I suspect is also where the "Eat, eat!" social impulse comes from: eat while you've got the chance; today, at least, there's plenty of food, but who knows about tomorrow?

-- Many of the traditional foods are things that used to be cheap; though often, the world having shifted, they aren't any longer (lox, especially, comes to mind here.)
Old 23 March 2016, 05:00 PM

Now I want blintzes.
Old 23 March 2016, 05:30 PM

Icon23

Wrong holiday. Purim is all about Hamentashchen. For those not in the know:

Not quite a cookie, not quite cake, not quite pie crust. Filled with jelly, or fruit (preserves or like pie filling), or chocolate, or a sweet poppyseed concoction we call "mon", or...