snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 14 March 2016, 02:02 AM

Mouse What did you learn today?

Okay, wasn't sure which section to put this thread in. If it should be more in rantidote, feel free to move it, O Great and Merciful Snopes.

Anyway, personal habit of mine is that I try to, every day, learn at least one new thing. Doesn't have to be anything major like nuclear physics or anything, just one new thing. And yes it can be something silly like you learned not to tug on Superman's cape or spit into the wind.

Like today, I learned that possums are marsupials. I had assumed that marsupials were only found in Australia. Now I know better.
Old 14 March 2016, 02:39 AM

Well, I was feeling like an underachiever after having read the OP - because of course one should learn at least one new thing every day - but I then went to do some bathroom reading. And there it was: I learned that one of the dorms at MIT has had as a mascot a carton of milk. Yes, the same carton for over twenty years. They long ago gave up on refrigerating it, and it was placed in a plastic jar after it started seeping - or eating- through the carton.
Old 14 March 2016, 02:47 AM

I fall down a bit on weekdays, but most days at my job I learn a thing or two. It's not always things I want to know, mind you ("you do WHAT? um, I mean, that's not the textbook way to . . . ")
Old 14 March 2016, 03:01 AM

Today I learned that it is not just that No. 5 plastic can't be recycled in my area, but it can't be recycled at all. Except that I just Googled it and I apparently learned something that isn't true.
Old 14 March 2016, 03:43 AM

I recently moved into a new area (four months about now), and I decided to do a little exploring across the major road east of my housing development. I'd figured the housing development there was probably *nicer* condos/townhouses/single family homes, but not *too* much more upscale than where I am.

Wow. Was I ever wrong. They were all 'single family' homes....that were easily worth millions of dollars (I found a website where I could check this out.) Huge houses on acres of land. It was like a whole different world. I admit I was a lot flabbergasted--I hadn't expected that.

So that's what I learned today--that to the immediate east of me, there are apparently mega-millionaires.
Old 14 March 2016, 04:13 AM

Today I learned that my vivofit will automatically update the time now, without being synced with the computer - the mobile app will do it now.

Yesterday I learned that to obtain optimal performance from a beauty cream, one should wait 20 minutes before applying the next one. (I still applied mine one after the other.)

Avril - No. 5 plastic was one of the first they accepted here, so yeah, it isn't true.

Last edited by Latiam; 14 March 2016 at 04:40 AM.
Old 14 March 2016, 05:04 AM

No snarkiness intended, but the thread title reminded me of an early '60s folk song by Tom Paxton: "What Did You Learn In School Today". This song pointed out a lot of the hypocracy of the thinking at that time.

BW
Old 14 March 2016, 08:30 AM

I learned that I wasn't the only one who remembered Tom Paxton from this thread title. I had forgotten most of the lyrics but I learned they're still relevant.
Old 14 March 2016, 11:05 AM

Baseball

I have learned that my Canadian accent, when speaking Dutch, makes some innocuous words become very close to swear words.

I'm kinda ashamed as I don't speak like that in English, but apparently, in Dutch, I have a potty mouth.
Old 14 March 2016, 12:57 PM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Like today, I learned that possums are marsupials. I had assumed that marsupials were only found in Australia. Now I know better.
Not only that but there are dozens of different species of opossums in South and Central America, many of which are much prettier than the US opossum.
Old 14 March 2016, 01:06 PM

Hey, GM, that's not saying much - like being more humble than Donald Trump.
Old 14 March 2016, 03:25 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdalene View Post
So that's what I learned today--that to the immediate east of me, there are apparently mega-millionaires.
Or else almost bankrupt people in debt up to their eyebrows.

Yesterday I learned that 250,000 people were without power while my lights only flickered--more proof that location matters.

I also learned that the progression of colors in a Jayne hat (from top to bottom) is yellow, orange, red.

Seaboe
Old 14 March 2016, 04:03 PM

I learned that I should have brought a jacket to work today. Sure, we had 70+ degree weather most of last week, but it IS still March. Lovely, warm days are not a guarantee...

<-- Me, dramatically freezing to death... oh, woe! *faint*
Old 14 March 2016, 04:34 PM

Yesterday I learned that I should not start watching Tim Minchin videos on Youtube if I intend to get to bed on time.

Oh wait, that doesn't count; I already knew that. I also already knew that knowing that doesn't always stop me.

Some things I actually did learn yesterday:

There is apparently a major basketball championship contest going on over the next couple of weeks. (Yes, I am aware that much of the population of the USA has known this for some time.)

The tractor with the broken choke will not start at 49ºF, though it started fine when temperature was in the 60's.

I can now buy a lightning detector, designed to clip on a belt, that indicates distance to the strikes, for just under $40. -- I probably ought to do that, as I can't hear approaching thunder well over either the tractor or the rototiller (and through the hearing protectors I wear while using either one of them.)
Old 14 March 2016, 07:19 PM

Glasses

Is this a working lightning detector? Then yes, it seems a reasonable investment.

This morning I learned that the peak wind in Seattle in yesterday's storm was 57 MPH. Woah. No wonder so many people lost power.

Seaboe
Old 14 March 2016, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Is this a working lightning detector?
It's listed in a serious tool catalog (Leonard's) and copy says it's a good way to keep crew working outdoors safe.

So it had better work. If it doesn't, believe me, I'll expect my money back.

-- that is, I don't expect I'll be able to check whether it says '12 miles' when the strike's actually 8 miles or 14 miles away. But I do expect to be able to tell, at least some of the time, whether it says the strikes are moving closer to me when they aren't, or whether it says the storm's 14 miles away when it's clearly right on top of me, or whether it fails to detect at all a thunderstorm that's obviously within its range.
Old 14 March 2016, 08:10 PM

Glasses

Today is Albert Einstein's birthday. (1879)

I think it is oddly appropriate that he was born on Pi Day.
Old 14 March 2016, 08:46 PM

My daughter, who is very excited about Pi Day, not in small part because it is also celebrated as pie day, also thought it was neat that Albert Einstein's birthday is Pi Day.*

I pointed out that Pi Day was not really a thing until quite recently (I think?), though of course pi has been a thing for, well forever, and known as a thing for several millennia. I thought but did not mention that where he was from, Pi Day would need to be July 22 anyway.

* I also learned that today is his b-day today.
Old 14 March 2016, 09:41 PM

I learned that my cats are actually tiny pigs with fur given how much they've eaten this month...and that I need to find a way to feed them for the rest of the month.
Old 14 March 2016, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post

I'm kinda ashamed as I don't speak like that in English, but apparently, in Dutch, I have a potty mouth.
You dirty birdie!