snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Closed Thread

Old 31 January 2016, 06:32 AM

I passed one of those LED billboards on the highway tonight. The billboard read "A disk read error occurred. Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart."
Old 04 February 2016, 04:35 PM

I saw a Police cruiser driving down a main street, but it had an orange flag raised that said "out of service".
Old 05 February 2016, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
I passed one of those LED billboards on the highway tonight. The billboard read "A disk read error occurred. Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart."
Blue Screens of Death are always kind of funny on digital billboards.

hijack: anyone else hate that many of the digital billboards along roads are so bright at night that they hurt your eyes and destroy your night vision? Is it really* that hard to build a light sensor into the billboard so it boosts the brightness in the daytime so it is visible but dims at night so it isn't like looking into the sun?

*I suppose BSOD errors mean it really is hard enough to get the things to work correctly without adding complexity like a light sensor.

Hijack of the hijack: Hmmm, you wouldn't even need a separate light sensor. The entire LED screen would be an excellent light sensor when the power supply is turned off. It'll basically act like a giant solar array (granted with efficiency very low compared to even the normally very low solar panel efficiency). So you turn off the power to the board for say 10 milliseconds every couple minutes and measure the current generated by the display.

Hijack of the hijacked hijack: I know LEDs work as light sensors because I've used them that way. An LED and a digital voltmeter make a passable light meter system.
Old 05 February 2016, 06:35 PM

Yes, I hate that. There's one along I76 between Medina and Akron that sometimes bothers me eyes even in daylight. It's awful at night.
Old 05 February 2016, 06:40 PM

When I ride my bike to work the route I take takes me past a stand of oak trees. These trees are home to a group of acorn woodpeckers. I stopped for a few minutes to watch them this morning. I noticed what at first I assumed was just two birds fighting. As they were fighting they fell out of the tree, and what I can best describe as a "ball of woodpeckers" landed on the ground near me. It wasn't just two birds fighting -- when they hit the ground at least four or five woodpeckers emerged and flew away. It was an all out woodpecker brawl!
Old 05 February 2016, 06:46 PM

WB, that reminds me of when I was a kid and I saw two cats tangled together. I told my mother there were two cats fighting in the back yard, and she looked out the window and said "Uh, no, they aren't fighting." "Then what are they doing?" "Never mind"
Old 05 February 2016, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
WB, that reminds me of when I was a kid and I saw two cats tangled together. I told my mother there were two cats fighting in the back yard, and she looked out the window and said "Uh, no, they aren't fighting." "Then what are they doing?" "Never mind"
They were practising cat martial arts... like cat-judo, or cat-rate...

Old 05 February 2016, 08:34 PM

Which they learned in Cat-mandu.
Old 05 February 2016, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
I noticed what at first I assumed was just two birds fighting. As they were fighting they fell out of the tree, and what I can best describe as a "ball of woodpeckers" landed on the ground near me. It wasn't just two birds fighting -- when they hit the ground at least four or five woodpeckers emerged and flew away. It was an all out woodpecker brawl!
Two peckers were fighting eh?
Old 08 February 2016, 08:10 PM

A little background: Ms. BW is in Florida, being a Nanny to our youngest grandson. (I move down when our house sells) We Skype regularly.

A little while ago Sasha (our yellow lab) came into the room, heard us talking on Skype, looked up and recognized "Mom". Sasha sat down in front of screen with her ears up, then walked around behind the screen, and then back, looked at the screen again, then walked behind it. Then she gave up and began resting up before her afternoon nap.

BW
Old 09 February 2016, 12:04 AM

Any idea why so many twenty something women (whose birthdays all seem to be in the 1970s) from Australia and from various European countries all seem to have joined snopes today? I've never noticed so many new names joining at the same time before .
Old 09 February 2016, 06:27 AM

As I was leaving work this evening I stopped by the restroom. I could tell the stall next to the one I was using was unoccupied because I could see a pair of feet under the door. But you know how when there's someone in the stall next to you you can kind of hear what they're doing whether you want to or not? Well this time I couldn't. This guy was completely silent and motionless from the time time I arrived to the time I left. Honestly it kind of creeped me out. It reminded me of a Stephen King short story I read a few years ago in which a man sees the same ghostly pair of dirty sneakers under the stall door every time he visits the men's room in his workplace.

On a related note, is it odd that some many of my posts in this thread are about things that happened in the men's room at work?
Old 09 February 2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
I told my mother there were two cats fighting in the back yard, and she looked out the window and said "Uh, no, they aren't fighting." "Then what are they doing?" "Never mind"
Why do you ask, Four Woodpecker Bucket?
Old 09 February 2016, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Any idea why so many twenty something women (whose birthdays all seem to be in the 1970s) from Australia and from various European countries all seem to have joined snopes today? I've never noticed so many new names joining at the same time before .
And it is continuing today with more new registrants all with ages that don't tally with their birthdates registering from various parts of the world. Is this par for the course here and I just never noticed before?
Old 09 February 2016, 06:31 PM

My morning commute brought to a near standstill by 1/2 inch of snow.
Old 09 February 2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
My morning commute brought to a near standstill by 1/2 inch of snow.
W are having a little bit of light fluffy snow falling here and my book club tonight got cancelled by the hostess because of the dreadful weather. I'd like to excuse her by saying she's not originally from Canada but she's from Newfoundland. Trust me when I tell you a little light fluffy snow is not a weather catastrophe in Newfoundland!
Old 09 February 2016, 07:39 PM

Quote:
And it is continuing today with more new registrants all with ages that don't tally with their birthdates registering from various parts of the world. Is this par for the course here and I just never noticed before?
Maybe this belongs in stupid questions, but where are you finding this info?

I can find who's online now, and I can find the entire community list, but I can't find a list of who registered today.
Old 09 February 2016, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Trust me when I tell you a little light fluffy snow is not a weather catastrophe in Newfoundland!
Oh, I believe you!

There is no reason for 1/2 inch of snow to have wreaked the havoc it did this morning. My bus commute went from 30 minutes to 90. If the bus driver hadn't gotten off the interstate it would have been even longer.
Old 09 February 2016, 08:26 PM

It's at the bottom of the page, I guess where you would see who's online now. The reason I noticed is because last night there must have been at least 10 or so names I'd never seen before and all of the names seemed a little similar in a way but not exactly, hard to explain, mainly a combination of their first and last name sometimes with extra numbers. When I clicked on a few that's when I started to notice what seemed like a pattern especially in terms of the age given being very different from the birthdate given sometimes as much as 15 or 20 year age difference. This kept happening off an on all last evening and then I noticed it again today. Just seemed a little odd. Which is why I mentioned it here .

Here's an example of what I mean: http://message.snopes.com/member.php?u=90726
Old 10 February 2016, 12:50 PM

Icon05

Monday evening, I saw a green van--with green headlights.
Closed Thread