snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Closed Thread

Old 19 January 2016, 01:32 AM

Default Odd thing you saw today

This additional decoration someone added to their trash bin:

Although it's not too surprising considering the house it was in front of also has an E.T. lawn ornament.
Old 21 January 2016, 09:43 AM

Cowboy

From the closed thread:
Quote:
Someone was selling strawberries at the farmers market in January. According to the sign on their booth they were grown in Ventura County, which is pretty far south, but I still doubt they were in season even there. I assume they must have been grown in a greenhouse.
I live in Ventura County and, yea, it's too early for strawberries. For example, we have an annual strawberry festival but it doesn't take place until May. However, I've seen greenhouses in some of the farms south of the 101 (the unincorporated part of Camarillo) so I'm sure you're right that they were grown in a greenhouse.

Brian
Old 21 January 2016, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Although it's not too surprising considering the house it was in front of also has an E.T. lawn ornament.
Oh. I thought at first you were referring to the "City of Folsom" emblem.
Old 21 January 2016, 04:38 PM

This morning, before sunrise, I saw a car on the freeway without its lights on. If he had driven from his home canton, as indicated on his license plate, he had been driving > 30 minutes without lights.

Even if he had just come from Luzern, he would have been driving > 10 minutes without lights.
Old 21 January 2016, 05:55 PM

It's okay his lights weren't on. His eyes were still closed.
Old 21 January 2016, 09:27 PM

On the drive north from home to our university this afternoon, I saw a dead deer off to the side of the road (not uncommon). However, lying next to it, head resting on paws, obviously alive but looking grief-stricken, was a German Shepherd. I called 911, and the lady seemed a bit puzzled but said she would alert Animal Control to gather up the dog before it could wander into the highway and be hit by a car.

I kind of want to follow up and see if they got the dog. However, the county shelter is no-kill, so the pup would be in no danger, and I have the rotten feeling that if they caught the dog, I found out about it, and it was ownerless, I'd find myself in possession of a German Shepherd.
Old 22 January 2016, 12:04 PM

Baseball

Less something I saw, and more something I heard.

I was driving around today in my issued vehicle. Good radio stations are hard to come by around here, so when I found one (87.6 on the FM dial for those interested and can tell me where it is, 'cause I have no clue) I keep it locked. Now, with the mountains, the signal is not always clear, and sometimes there is overplay where I am simultaneously receiving the signal for two stations on the same frequency.

Usually it is annoying, but while driving around the south of the Sea of Galilee this afternoon, I heard both stations and it was very cool. One was playing classical/baroque/orchestral/chamber music and the other was playing '80s and '90s pop/rock music. In the background was the orchestral music and overlaid was the song from the late '80s or early '90s. They were in time and the calming tones of the orchestra gave an awesome element of depth to the typically plastic pop song.

Problem is, I don't know the name of either song. The pop one was definitely a popular song 25-ish years ago and I would recognise it in an instant (kinda like the Aerosmith song Crying, but it wasn't that song). The orchestral music has very little chance of ever being recognised by me (it was kinda like Pachelbel's Canon, but it definitely was not that. But similar in tone and pace).

I really enjoyed that two minute experience.
Old 22 January 2016, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad from Georgia View Post
I have the rotten feeling that if they caught the dog, I found out about it, and it was ownerless, I'd find myself in possession of a German Shepherd.
Worse things have happened. Some of them are quite good dogs.

-- I wonder whether the dog was in a car that hit the deer, the car stopped and the dog wound up outside it, and the driver then left the scene, possibly without realizing that the dog wasn't in the car? In that case, the dog's grief stricken look would probably have to do not with the deer, but with having been deserted.
Old 22 January 2016, 09:27 PM

Animal control picked up the dog. She was OK and chipped--she was about a mile away from her home and was reunited with her family this morning. The deer, a young doe, was dead.

Yeah, I had to call and find out.
Old 22 January 2016, 09:33 PM

Dog

You came this close ][ to having another dog.

And I'll bet there is a wee bit inside of you saying 'aw, shucks!'
Old 22 January 2016, 11:16 PM

You're right, Mack. Our Jasmine was a Shepherd/Husky mix, loyal, loving, and protective. Sweet, sweet dog and I still miss her.
Old 23 January 2016, 07:47 AM

Whalephant

My dad and I went to the zoo today and were sitting and looking at the giraffes when three keepers passed by with a tamandua on a leash. It was happily walking on the fence railing.

I didn't even know they had a tamandua.
Old 23 January 2016, 02:58 PM

I didn't even know what a tamandua was (thanks, Google; and thanks, kitap, for expanding my knowledge); and at first misread that post as "tarantula on a leash." Which would have been even odder.
Old 26 January 2016, 04:09 PM

I saw two bizarre video "ads" today on the Telegraph.co.uk site (it was the history of television article linked from today's Google doodle). I put "ads" in quotes because they didn't seem to be advertising anything - they appeared to be third-rate user-created videos, with no introduction, no credits, no overlying text, nothing. The first was of a youngish (I'd guess 12-14 years old) girl performing the Star-Spangled Banner at some public event or other. It wasn't what you'd call a good performance - thin, unsupported sound and lots of pitch issues. I clicked back on the article a bit later today to see if I got the video again, and instead got this: (Warning: mindless juvenile sexism and God-awful attempt at rapping!)

Other than the bizarre content, both these videos otherwise behaved as ads - a "Skip Ad" button popped up after a few seconds, and at the conclusion of the "ad" the Telegraph's video segment played. Weird.

ETA: Huh. The embed code that popped up in the "ad" appears to actually be the correct embed code for the TV history video. That makes it even weirder - I thought maybe there was some pay-to-share video service that might be using ad channels to promote user-submitted videos, but that doesn't even make sense now. There are just these bad videos with no credits, links, nothing.

The video I tried to share, by the way, appeared to be titled "Top 5," and was a cheesy rap list of all the attractive female celebrities the rapper would like to "Netflix and Chill with." (All I could think of was the would-be author in Throw Momma from the Train - "It's a coffee table book.")

Has anyone else seen anything like this?

Last edited by musicgeek; 26 January 2016 at 04:14 PM.
Old 26 January 2016, 05:50 PM

I was driving to work behind a company van. The company's name began with the word "Clean". The van was dirty with the road salt and silt common to winter. In the window, someone had scrawled "I hate work". The situation struck me as funny.
Old 26 January 2016, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
Less something I saw, and more something I heard.
I'm kind of hijacking the thread, because this wasn't today, and I'd been sort of saving it in case there was ever a "worst Christmas songs" thread, but it was odd at the time so I might as well add it...

The summer before last, I was sitting outside a bar by the water in Malta with a beer, waiting for a ferry across Marsamxett harbour to Sliema, when this song came on the radio:

Dominick the Donkey

It was rather incongruous, as well as being a horrible earworm which I have now inflicted on anybody else who listens to the video.
Old 27 January 2016, 12:13 AM

Along the 'odd things you heard' theme, I was getting lunch at an Egyptian restaurant and they were playing (I'm assuming) Arabic music in the background. During one song, the singer suddenly switched switched key and started belting out 'Let it go' in English, got wild applause, and then switched back to the original song. It made me wish I understood the rest of the song.
Old 27 January 2016, 03:27 PM

Lou Monte! Yeah, that's one of the more strange and obnoxious Christmas novelty songs out there. Why it would be playing during the summer I have no idea. (Monte died back in 1989, so it's not that it was a memorial tribute or anything.)
Old 28 January 2016, 09:48 PM

This is more of an odd experience I just had. I was in the men's room at work washing my hands when another guy asked me "Did that guy who just left use the middle stall?" I told him I hadn't noticed which one he'd used, and he left. I don't understand why he would want to know that. I guess maybe he was squeamish about using a toilet that someone else had just used (after he left I realized the middle stall was the only one that was vacant at that moment).
Old 29 January 2016, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
This is more of an odd experience I just had. I was in the men's room at work washing my hands when another guy asked me "Did that guy who just left use the middle stall?" I told him I hadn't noticed which one he'd used, and he left. I don't understand why he would want to know that. I guess maybe he was squeamish about using a toilet that someone else had just used (after he left I realized the middle stall was the only one that was vacant at that moment).
I once found a cell phone on the floor of a stall. Maybe someone had lost something.
Closed Thread