snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Fun House

Old 16 July 2015, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondi View Post
I'm not sure us Americans easily grasp the kind of British humor in The Holy Grail as well as people across the pond.
I hear people say that a lot, and I think it's an overgeneralization. "Some of us Americans" would be more accurate.
Old 16 July 2015, 01:56 PM

Of the two, The Princess Bride. No reasoning, it just is for us.
Old 16 July 2015, 02:12 PM

I believe Princess Bride is the superior film in terms of acting, scripting, anddirecting, and is overall an excellent movie.

That being said, I'll choose to watch Holy Grail 9 times out of 10. It's just funnier.
Old 16 July 2015, 02:34 PM

Glasses

Holy Grail, and I agree with Crius, the Skipper.

Seaboe
Old 16 July 2015, 02:43 PM

Baseball Question 4

I'll postpone my Gilligan's Island question for a bit given that a question about the show has already been bandied about.

I'm enjoying the responses!

Today's question, from across the pond: Which is the better neighbourhood for you to live in, Coronation Street or EastEnders?
Old 16 July 2015, 03:28 PM

Oh unquestionably Coronation Street! You just need to watch your back and try not to get Tracy Barlow mad at you .
Old 16 July 2015, 03:38 PM

See, I'd think EastEnders. You wouldn't get that judgey feeling from your neighbors and no matter what you did, it wouldn't hold a candle to what has gone on in the past.

I mean, a stranger has been seen visiting when your husband is away? How does that compare to a murderer burying his latest victim under a tree planted in memory of his previous victim?
Old 17 July 2015, 10:40 AM

Baseball Question 5

I am leaving in about 2 hours for a long drive to the Maritimes. So, I'll post my question a bit early...and because it is the weekend, it will be a bigger question

Name your top three good performances by an actor/actress in what you would consider a terrible movie.

My selections:

Janet Jones in Police Academy 5. This was my first time being able to see Wayne Gretzky's wife on film (and know it was her). Despite the film being terrible, her performance (and those of some of the others) was actually quite good.

Patrick Swayze in Skatetown, U.S.A. I've always liked musical films. This was not Saturday Night Fever on roller skates as I had hoped. But Patrick Swayze was actually kinda good in the film. And, I suspect, he went on to superstardom despite this film bears out that others thought he was good too.

George Clooney in Combat High. My brother always liked the movies with pranking and hilarity at school. He and I rented this one and were prepared for a hilarious romp through the dust free halls of Bunker Hill Academy (we rented Taps the weekend before). However, the camp and goofiness got to us. However, George Clooney shone through with the straight guy routine. He was intense yet human, and his performance is about the only memorable thing I can recall from the film.
Old 17 July 2015, 02:07 PM

Liam Neeson as Qui Gon Jinn in The Phantom Menace. That movie wasted so much potential with him and Darth Maul because they wanted to go too kid friendly. Yes, the original trilogy was meant for kids, but it never got as stupid as this one did.

Raul Julia as M Bison in Street Fighter. Horrible movie, but Julia was entertaining. He was completely over the top, but it seemed like he was trying desperately to save the thing.

Sam Elliot as Wade Garret in Road House. Elliot is always entertaining, and while I watched Road House several times as a teen, it was never a good movie.
Old 17 July 2015, 08:56 PM

I have low and particular tastes, and I'm rather uncritical in my enjoyment of the movies that fall into my favored category. That said:

Chuck Norris in Silent Rage. Somewhat obscure Norris martial arts flick, but I was not only really into the premise of an unkillable (but not unbeatable) foe, I also thought Norris really pulled off his role, more so than usual.

Tom Arnold in True Lies. It was like the man and the role were made for each other! He was perfect! But this probably doesn't count, because True Lies was awesome.

Annabeth Gish in Steel. Awful movie - even for me - but she was really good, especially as a wheelchair-bound character.
Old 17 July 2015, 10:28 PM

I could come up with at least 3 from Master of Disguise -- the cast included James Brolin, Edie McClurg, Harold Gould and Brent Spiner. I can only assume they were doing Dana Carvey a favor.
Old 19 July 2015, 12:21 AM

Master of Disguise is a good choice.

The movie that immediately came to mind was the dreadful Thomas and the Magic Railroad with Peter Fonda, Alec Baldwin, and Mara Wilson. The movie is definitely on my ‘worst ever’ short list but even their performances aren’t that great. Wilson is great with the awful script and Alec Balwdin shows a glimmer of his later comedy brilliance through nonsensical lines but Peter Fonda has a look on his face like “get me out of this train wreck” the whole time.
Old 20 July 2015, 11:59 AM

Cate Blancett in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls. Despite being in the worst of the Indiana Jones movies, I think she played a splendid villainess.

Stanley Tucci in The Lovely Bones. A convoluted movie for sure, but Tucci's performance as the predator/killer is down right creepy.

Betty White in Lake Placid. She is hilarious in that film.
Old 20 July 2015, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondi View Post
(even the name, Monty Python, is an euphemism that I didn't immediately pick up until The Full Monty came out).
Not according to the Pythons themselves; it was just a nonsense pairing of words that they thought sounded silly.
Old 20 July 2015, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crius of CoH View Post
I

Tom Arnold in True Lies. It was like the man and the role were made for each other! He was perfect! But this probably doesn't count, because True Lies was awesome.
Absolutely second this one. I couldn't believe how good he was in that film.
Old 20 July 2015, 09:45 PM

I would definitely say Holy Grail for the previous question, but I don't watch enough (rubbish) films to have an opinion for the current one...
Old 21 July 2015, 12:10 AM

Mouse

Farrah Fawcett in the tv mini-series of Small Sacrifices. It was a great book by Ann Rule, but as a mini-series...it's leaden and overstuffed and moves at a glacial pace. But when Farrah Fawcett (playing Diane Downs, a woman who shot her kids in an attempt to win back her married lover) is onscreen...wow...Diane Downs is basically a caricature of a part Farrah was known for playing--the oversexed blonde--yet at the same time, Farrah does such a good job of adding layers to this part, where even as she's being all giggly and flirty, you can see the darkness lurking below the surface. Whenever Farrah's onscreen, it's almost worth watching.
Old 21 July 2015, 07:46 AM

Throw Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
More quotable film: Holy Grail or Princess Bride?
Hands down, Monty Python and the Holy Grail although The Princess Bride is an excellent movie. Grail was my introduction to Python since the series did not premier on our PBS station (KCET) until a few months later. My friends and I became fanatics who bought their books and records. So, long before the Internet I've been quoting them whereas I've never quoted Bride.

Brian
Old 21 July 2015, 10:57 PM

Baseball Question 6

Apologies for taking a few days away. I'm very busy with a work issue, so I needed to sort some stuff out. I know, priorities. In this case, snopes.com comes second.

Given all that I've seen of Donald Trump in the news this week, I decided to put a rich person question out there.

Who is wealthier: Richie Rich, Scrooge McDuck or Mr Lodge?
Old 21 July 2015, 11:05 PM

Scrooge McDuck. The Rich's have a lot, but they spend much of it on robot maids and the like.