snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 13 August 2017, 02:51 PM

Another vote for cups*. I switched this cycle from tampons and it's so much easier. I'm not familiar with menstrual sponges but after a quick search, I'd have some concerns...
1) I have a sea sponge for exfoliation. It's quite rough. I can't imagine putting it inside me. Ow.
2) They're supposedly reusable. How do they get sterilized between cycles? One site talks about using a tea tree oil/vinegar solution, which even if dilute, sounds irritating to sensitive tissues.
3) How does it get cleaned during the cycle? Again, site says you just rinse it with water and reinsert, but I feel like it would get quite smelly and gross after a day or so.
4) Leaks. I feel like it would leak. I don't think it could hold enough liquid to make it worthwhile. And public washrooms might be tricky. The cup I can dump out in a stall and reinsert. But I don't know about carrying a bloody sponge to the sink to rinse.

* There's a crap ton of cups on the market and they don't all suit every woman's anatomy. I lucked out with the Diva because supposedly it's one of the longer ones and (TMI warning) I apparently have a high cervix and a long vagina as my gyno told me at my last pap. Other women find them uncomfortable and need a shorter cup.
Old 13 August 2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Capacitrix View Post
It's only in reference to the MeLuna cups, which are shown as colored and the colors for outside the U.S. are no necessarily medical grade :

I see no reason any menstrual cup should need color or be made of any thing other than medical-grade silicone.
I'm sorry, I guess I didn't (maybe still don't) follow. Did you mean "why would US regulations require the use of color" or "why would a manufacturer use color?" I was reading your comment the first way and pointing out that doesn't seem to be the situation. If you meant the latter, I imagine it's because clear silicone cups tend to get stained over time, and color would make it less noticeable. Not necessarily a good reason, but I imagine that's the reason.
Old 14 August 2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
I'm sorry, I guess I didn't (maybe still don't) follow. Did you mean "why would US regulations require the use of color" or "why would a manufacturer use color?" I was reading your comment the first way and pointing out that doesn't seem to be the situation. If you meant the latter, I imagine it's because clear silicone cups tend to get stained over time, and color would make it less noticeable. Not necessarily a good reason, but I imagine that's the reason.
The later. Why use color when it doesn't need it? In my experience the cup losing its rigidity (therefore making a good seal) and the amount of staining seem to be good indications of when the cup should be replaced.
Old 18 August 2017, 02:32 AM

MMV; mine seem to get stained after just a few months. I've started soaking them in hydrogen peroxide every so often, which some say you shouldn't do, others say is fine. The stains bother me and the soaking doesn't seem to hurt it. I can see why a manufacturer would opt for color.
Old 25 August 2017, 09:07 PM

Default A Re-enactment of a Wealthy Woman Getting Dressed in 18th-Century England

Just going to leave this video here - a friend linked it on Facebook and some found it interesting. (I will stay out of the discussion, if any, as my personal reactions would he a total hijack - anyone dying of curiosity can always PM.)

http://www.slate.com/articles/video/...and_video.html
Old 11 September 2017, 11:28 AM

Mild period-related TMI (and whining) ahead:

My ovaries have such bad timing, it almost feels malicious. Last month, my period started on day one of an outdoor festival. This morning, I'm getting ready for my first day at a new job and bam! I've never had a super-regular cycle. The rule seems to be "Whenever is least convenient for you!"

I'm just feeling annoyed today, and this didn't seem like an appropriate topic for a Facebook rant, so y'all get to read it instead. Lucky you!
Old 11 September 2017, 05:31 PM

Veruca, I get it. Back before I had my Mirena and still got my period, it always seemed to know when I was traveling. It's almost as though it could sense me purchasing airline tickets or making road trip plans, and then it would bide its time...
Old 12 September 2017, 12:41 AM

Mouse

It's one of the reasons the Intelligent Design idea is BS. Nearly any designer, however dumb, could come up with a better way of accomplishing whatever the menstrual cycle is supposed to accomplish.
Old 12 September 2017, 06:18 PM

TMI

TMI

TMI

TMI

TMI

Period before fibroid removal:

Length - 10 days
Clots - innumerable
Underpants needing scrubbed - 8
Trousers needing scrubbed - 3

Period after fibroid removal:

Length - 6 days
Clots - 3
Underpants needing scrubbed - 1
Trousers needing scrubbed - 0

Old 12 September 2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
Just going to leave this video here - a friend linked it on Facebook and some found it interesting. (I will stay out of the discussion, if any, as my personal reactions would he a total hijack - anyone dying of curiosity can always PM.)

http://www.slate.com/articles/video/...and_video.html
LOL E.Q. I've worn an 18th century ensemble with nearly all those layers. I didn't have maids though, had to do it all myself. The stays were surprisingly comfortable as it took the load off of my shoulders.
Old 13 September 2017, 12:41 AM

Pinecone- AWESOME!!!!

I switched birth control pills several months ago because the one I had been on for years was no longer covered by my new health insurance. It's been a mixed bag- my periods are now worse than on the old pill (though still better than on my natural cycle), but emotionally and mentally I've been feeling much better so I guess I'll take not being depressed/anxious every day and just deal with bad cramps 4 days out of the month.

Another side effect that I need to probably go to a store to properly investigate is that my chest seems like it might be returning to its natural size? In college I was a C cup but about five years ago (while on old pill) went up to a D. The past week or so I've noticed that my bras don't feel like they're fitting correctly and seem weirdly loose in a way I can't adjust for. It's another mixed bag I always felt kind of top heavy as a D cup, but I also don't have the money or the motivation to go bra shopping all over again. (Especially since it seems I finally have the perfect set of bras for all occasions).
Old 13 September 2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
It's one of the reasons the Intelligent Design idea is BS. Nearly any designer, however dumb, could come up with a better way of accomplishing whatever the menstrual cycle is supposed to accomplish.
I guess the Intelligent Designers figure that women are supposed to suffer during their periods for the same reason they are supposed to suffer during childbirth. A vengeful god .
Old 13 September 2017, 04:31 PM

I suppose it could be held forth as evidence that god is male...
Old 14 September 2017, 01:03 AM

Mouse

As for God being male, I've got one word for you: testicles. Why would he make it so that one well-placed kick is enough to have them down for the count and possibly remove them from the gene pool entirely?
Old 14 September 2017, 11:03 AM

That reminds me- in middle school or high school, some of our guy friends asked us if having period cramps felt like getting kicked in the balls. We had to explain no, not really, but for "Which sex has it worse????" purposes, they probably weren't getting kicked in the balls on a monthly basis. They acknowledged that this made it "mostly even"
Old 14 September 2017, 12:06 PM

I have (as a teenager) had cramps so painful I briefly couldn't stand.

But difficult as puberty was for me, I was always relieved that I never had to deal with inappropriate erections. At least if I "leaked" onto my clothes I could tie my jacket around my waist to hide it.
Old 14 September 2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
That reminds me- in middle school or high school, some of our guy friends asked us if having period cramps felt like getting kicked in the balls. We had to explain no, not really, but for "Which sex has it worse????" purposes, they probably weren't getting kicked in the balls on a monthly basis. They acknowledged that this made it "mostly even"
Sounds like the conversations I have had, all too often, with people basically mocking or certainly minimizing morning sickness, the gist of the argument on their part is that morning sickness is no worse than having a stomach flu or indigestion. Pointing out that even if equating it with a flu or indigestion, was accurate how many of them have had those symptoms every single day, sometimes all day, for one month, three months, nine months usually helps. But in some cases not by much.
Old 14 September 2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I have (as a teenager) had cramps so painful I briefly couldn't stand.
I sometimes had cramps so painful I couldn't read.

Luckily for me, the pill became generally available before I was out of my teens. It got rid of most of the cramps, all the wild irregularity, and reduced the flow; and, for me, had no negative side effects. (The "side effect" it was originally designed for came in handy, from time to time )
Old 14 September 2017, 02:02 PM

My mother was sympathetic to my pain, but she would never even have considered letting me go on the pill. She didn't even like it when I started using tampons.
Old 14 September 2017, 10:25 PM

Lainie- I was really lucky about that. My mom made it clear from the beginning (so age 11) that either option or both was fine for me to use. I opted for pads first figuring it was easier.

The first day of my first period I was at a friend's house. I felt some of my period leak out and figured, okay, time to change my pad!

Then 15 minutes later it happened again.... cue repeat until I ran out and was just stuck wearing my last one. (The little packet I had came with 5)

On the ride home when my mom explained that you are supposed to let it collect for a few hours and THEN change it- I think my reaction was - I decided I definitely wanted to use tampons instead

Weirdly enough it was other girls my own age giving me grief about it. I got in a few arguments where other girls (friends of mine) said it meant I was a slut, and that putting a tampon in meant I was masturbating. It was bizarre. I didn't care, because I knew I was more comfortable and they were being dumb, and luckily I had enough self esteem to at least make that choice for myself.

Some girls tried to use tampons but found them too uncomfortable which was one thing. But I felt bad for other ones who refrained from doing certain activities (going to the pool, etc) because of the internalized stigma they had against tampons. I don't know if their moms told them that (maybe their moms were just too embarassed to have those kind of talks with them I guess) or if they picked it up from somewhere else, but it was kinda sad, and there was absolutely no talking them out of it.