snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 04 September 2012, 08:06 PM

I've got an iPad case I like, but wanted an appropriate-sized purse to put it in. My normal purse is too small, and the messenger bag I have is too big and informal for a business-type application.
Old 04 September 2012, 08:08 PM

Gotcha. I recommend ebags, they have a great selection and good prices.
Old 04 September 2012, 09:10 PM

Thanks for the link, Lainie. There were some I really liked, but most of the more formal ones had a flap the went over the top, but no zipper to keep the main pocket closed underneath. I understand ease of access, but if you're keeping a tablet in there, why wouldn't you want a zipper to keep that pocket closed to protect against thing falling out or being spilled into it?
Old 05 September 2012, 01:41 PM

Were you looking at iPad totes specifically? I was thinking that since you have a sleeve for it, maybe you could just use a regular tote/big handbag. That might give you more selection to choose from.
Old 06 September 2012, 01:00 AM

So now I'm looking for a lunch bag to coordinate with my new tote. I'm considering two:

Black-and-white polka dot
Pink and black paisley

Here's the tote again

Any thoughts?
Old 06 September 2012, 02:25 AM

I love the paisley, I think it'd match pretty well, and it'd be fun to pick up the pink lining.

Thanks for the great suggestions re hair, everyone. That gives me a lot of options to try, which is great.
Old 06 September 2012, 02:43 AM

I think the polka dots coordinate better with the bag.
Old 08 September 2012, 02:32 AM

The laptop bag came today. It's just as cute as it looked online, and it came with a bonus matching clutch that snaps into it.

And I ordered the polka dot lunch bag. The paisley was cute but I decided to stick to something simpler.

Then I found this. But so far I've been able to restrain myself.
Old 11 September 2012, 09:39 PM

The lunch bag came. The dots are not white, they are gray. I am a bit put out.
Old 12 September 2012, 10:00 PM

My period has started. For the first time in months. I was really, really hoping I was done. Bad cramps and backache, fatigue, general misery. Ugh. I'd be at the ob-gyn begging for a hysterectomy if I had decent insurance and paid sick time.
Old 14 September 2012, 02:52 AM

I have tried the boyfriend jeans look twice now in different forms (one with a tee & the other more dressy) & I've decided it's a no go. I look sloppy, not like a cute girl wearing her SOs jeans.
Old 14 September 2012, 03:03 AM

Oversized, baggy jeans really don't look good on anyone.
Old 14 September 2012, 03:10 AM

Yep. It's like I said to my friend the other day regarding a piece of thrift store clothing : 'There are about 5 people in the world who can pull that off. You aren't one of them'.

Fortunately the jeans are from the thrift store so I'm only out $2 & I have the perfect jeans for yard work & stuff.
Old 15 September 2012, 01:47 AM

Jeans have become a dicey proposition for me. There isn't really any style that suits both my look and my body shape. I guess I need to lose weight, but it seems stupid to lose weight just to wear a certain kind of clothes.
Old 15 September 2012, 08:02 AM

I like "boyfriend" cut jeans for the very reason that they don't actually look like what would happen if I did wear Mr E's jeans. They fit me properly round the hips, and then have wide legs, which I like. In my current shape, straight-leg jeans tend to emphasise that my legs look a bit like carrots (well, they're not orange but you get the idea).

Actual boy jeans are much to bulky round the hips and waist, and too tight in the thigh.
Old 15 September 2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
Oversized, baggy jeans really don't look good on anyone.
I agree, but boyfriend jeans done right aren't oversized and baggy (see Embra's post). Which doesn't mean they're flattering to everyone, of course, but I have seen them look good on people, and not just size-0 models.
Old 15 September 2012, 02:39 PM

I admit, I had to look up "boyfriend jeans" for this thread, because I wasn't entirely sure what they were, but the image results I got tended to be very unappealing on the people wearing them.
Old 15 September 2012, 02:50 PM

I see them done wrong a lot more than I see them done right.

There was a mom at one of my daughters' extracurriculars who rocked them. It probably didn't hurt that she was flat-out gorgeous.
Old 15 September 2012, 10:38 PM

Speaking of jeans, I just bought my first pair in quite a few years. I don't know exactly why, at a relatively young age (elementary or middle school) I found them uncomfortable and decided I didn't want to wear them, and so I just started wearing pants instead. And then I was used to not wearing jeans, and shopping for them seemed way too complicated, especially since I hardly even knew what all the different styles meant. But I was thinking recently that everyone wears jeans, and there has to be a reason, and most of my pairs of pants are getting old and a bit saggy and stuff, so I'd need to go shopping anyway. Since I'm just in grad school, I can wear jeans all the time, if I want, so I thought I'd get a pair and see. Tried on most of the jeans at Kohl's today, felt like, but I did manage to find a pair that avoided either baggy or skin-tight. So I'll see how those work out.
Old 16 September 2012, 03:31 PM

I can understand finding jeans uncomfortable, especially if they don't fit well. When I was in elementary school, I didn't wear them often, because the heavy fabric tended to irritate my skin.

In The Accidental Tourist (the novel, not the movie) there's a passage discussing why the protagonist finds jeans the least comfortable option for travel: heavy, rough fabric, thick seams, rivets.

Jeans have gotten far more comfortable over the years, I think: the fabric is softer and more forgiving/stretchier, and there's a wider selection of fits. Even so, my work trouser are just as comfortable as my jeans, probably because comfort is one of my criteria for buying trousers.

The others are flattering fit, appropriate color to coordinate with my wardrobe, and a compound factor relating to cat hair: do they attract or repel it? how clearly does it show up when present? how easily is it removed?