snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 27 January 2015, 12:50 AM

Icon09

As mentioned in a stupid questions thread, I did eventually bite the bullet and make an appointment to get a women's exam. My slightly TMI question is, what if when the day rolls around, I'm on the rag? Do I need to call and reschedule or something? Not sure how these exams usually go. Usually my cycle is wrapped up by this time of the month, but last month, it didn't roll around till towards the end, so I'm wondering if it's going to play out the same way this month and what I should do if it does?
Old 27 January 2015, 12:53 AM

No, you just warn them and they'll do it anyway. At least, they always have for me.
Old 27 January 2015, 05:59 AM

I had a gyno tell me once it's a lot harder to get a proper PAP smear when you're menstruating, but she did it anyway. You could call the office and ask whether they'd prefer you come in anyway or postpone; they might have an opening a week later so they could bump you back.
Old 27 January 2015, 07:32 AM

It also depends. I went for a normally scheduled appointment, but I happened to start bleeding 5 days earlier, between normal periods. Maybe the pap smear wasn't as valid, but she was still able to do a intrauterine ultrasound and find the 2 cysts that were the source of the bleeding. (One has since disappeared, the other one is significantly smaller.)
Old 27 January 2015, 03:09 PM

Glasses

As I said, my hair is a lot like Cervus'. When I was in high school, and didn't braid my to-conventional-eyes long hair, it took me 20 minutes every morning just to get the snarls out, and nothing I ever found (then or since) has stopped it from tangling. My earrings get tangled in my hair, even now. My hair is naturally wavy, though, and looks like I just unbraided it even if it were never braided (assuming it's long enough).

I'm currently in the process of growing it out again, although probably not as long as it used to be.

Seaboe
Old 27 January 2015, 03:16 PM

I never found anything that stopped DD's hair from tangling, either. The products I mentioned above helped un-tangle it.
Old 27 January 2015, 03:34 PM

Glasses

I used ultra cheap conditioner as a detangler, and combed it through in the shower (something hair authorities tell you never to do). Can't use that now, though, because it will strip the color from my hair (since the color is blue). Never seemed to damage the regular hair dye I once used.

Seaboe
Old 27 January 2015, 04:08 PM

I think I mentioned it earlier, but I keep a spray bottle of white vinegar to use as a detangler, and I find it works just as well as any other product. (So it might not work at all for you, but if it does work, that's one less product you have to buy.) Most people recommend apple cider vinegar for use on hair, but I hate the smell of it. I don't mind the smell of white vinegar, and the smell goes away within a few minutes.
Old 27 January 2015, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
I used ultra cheap conditioner as a detangler, and combed it through in the shower (something hair authorities tell you never to do).
Really? I've never heard that. I've heard that you shouldn't brush wet hair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
I think I mentioned it earlier, but I keep a spray bottle of white vinegar to use as a detangler, and I find it works just as well as any other product.
I wonder why vinegar works any better than water (which is what my daughter usually uses these days). Then again, I don't know why any other product works, either.

Another thing that made a huge difference with DD's hair, which is curly, was not brushing it. Ever. It took my throwing away probably half a dozen brushes because she was stubborn about it when she was 12 or so, but eventually she realized that a comb and a little patience got the snarls out better and didn't make her hair wildly frizzy.

ETA: Just remembered that what finally convinced her to stop brushing it was a hairdresser's saying exactly what I'd been telling her for a year.
Old 27 January 2015, 08:15 PM

Glasses

You're not supposed to comb or brush your hair in the shower because it stretches it out and causes split ends. IME, however, spending half your morning prep time detangling your hair causes even more split ends.

I suspect vinegar would also strip the dye from my hair. Right now, my hair isn't even shoulder length yet, but when it gets long enough, I might try the vinegar.

My hair couldn't be called frizzy by any stretch of the imagination; it's just not straight. It's also very shiny, because the scales lay down so tightly against the shaft (which means a curly perm is never going to happen).

I attended a talk many years ago about using hair pieces, and the instructor mentioned that one way to tell artificial hair from real hair was that the artificial hair was shiny. I put the end of my braid against one of the artificial hair pieces and joked "Well, what do you know? My hair's fake" because it was just as shiny.

Seaboe
Old 27 January 2015, 08:47 PM

My hair's naturally very shiny.

I have heard that you shouldn't brush wet hair because you'll stretch it. I have never heard the same thing about combing it (ETA: although I have heard you should only comb wet hair with a very wide-toothed comb). And I don't understand why the rule would be "not in the shower" rather than "not when your hair is wet."
Old 07 February 2015, 03:47 AM

Thanks for the earlier link! I was able to jump off from there and find most of what I needed, including some amazing pieces that manage to look darn sexy even at my very plus size. I've already ordered a pair of standard issue thigh high stockings (on sale even!) that fit like a dream, but I came across these lace ups while searching around and I loved the style:

Link to amazon - product page for lace up stockings

The look would totally match the elbow gloves and corset I ordered, but for the life of me I can't find that type in plus size/queen size/anything bigger than one size fits most. It seems like the lacing would lend itself well, too, given that you can loosen or tighten it to a perfect plus size fit.

Anyone seen a pair of stockings like this that came in extended sizes? It would totally make my (Valentine's) day.
Old 07 February 2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
My hair's naturally very shiny.

I have heard that you shouldn't brush wet hair because you'll stretch it. I have never heard the same thing about combing it (ETA: although I have heard you should only comb wet hair with a very wide-toothed comb). And I don't understand why the rule would be "not in the shower" rather than "not when your hair is wet."
My hair is naturally shiny too!! Mind you I do very little fussing around with it. Min drying, no hair products, rarely have had a perm or a dye and neither of these for years. Maybe many women's hair is not shiney is because it is damaged. Just a thought.

I have also only heard the brushing thing with wet hair. I comb the conditioner though with a wide tooth comb.

Maybe "not in the shower" means "not under the shower" All I can think of
Old 09 February 2015, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallah View Post
Anyone seen a pair of stockings like this that came in extended sizes? It would totally make my (Valentine's) day.
They might actually fit. Read this review:
http://www.sockdreams.com/products/o...h-lace-up-back
Old 10 February 2015, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
I used ultra cheap conditioner as a detangler, and combed it through in the shower (something hair authorities tell you never to do). Can't use that now, though, because it will strip the color from my hair (since the color is blue). Never seemed to damage the regular hair dye I once used.

Seaboe
when my hair was blue I kept the color fresh by taking white conditioner, stirring in blue dye (I used manic panic) and applying that to my hair in the shower. I'd let it sit for 5 or so minutes, rinse it, and continue on. Minimized fading greatly.
Old 10 February 2015, 02:45 PM

My hair is depressing me lately. I tried to get a photo of it but couldn't get one "good" (bad?) enough. In the photo it looked normal, if a little messy, but in reality it's not good.

I have an anxiety hair cutting habit. Feeling bad lately has resulted in me having to cut all to the longest cut, which was round my face. It looks happier for that, at least there's no long straggly bits, but it's still got a bit of pineapple on the top (where it's cut close to my scalp but growing out) and my fringe doesn't hide the damage round the front so well, nor does anything hide to frizzy choppiness that cutting with blunt nail scissors did at the back. I'm lucky my hair is naturally curly, that helps a little.

With the choppy messy hair and the way I dress, with my height and frame, I feel like I look like a little girl. Trying to doll up a bit more to make me feel better about it but it's not so successful. Stupid though it sounds, it feels like the hair cutting has defined my personality - small, insecure, quiet. That it shows it like a beacon.

So I'm just trying now to hold my chin up and ignore it. Hair grows. Plus that's not a BAD look. It's just a look. It's fine. If I wanted to feel more grown up, I could get some cuban heeled shoes or something and put on some nice lippy. But I don't have to!

I want to grow my hair out again, though.
Old 10 February 2015, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkMcD View Post
They might actually fit. Read this review:
http://www.sockdreams.com/products/o...h-lace-up-back
Thank you for the link! I think I'm going to give them a try and get my own, longer piece of lace. I'm tempted to pick up several other pairs of socks from that place, they have the most amazing (and funky) styles.
Old 11 February 2015, 03:05 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLockeout View Post
when my hair was blue I kept the color fresh by taking white conditioner, stirring in blue dye (I used manic panic) and applying that to my hair in the shower. I'd let it sit for 5 or so minutes, rinse it, and continue on. Minimized fading greatly.
I have it done professionally and have found that if I take care to use coolish water and a minimum of shampoo, it lasts about 4 months before it really begins to fade.

As for shininess, what makes hair shiny or not shiny is how tightly the scales lay against the shaft. If you have tight scales, perms don't work as well without a lot of heat, and some colors won't take, but your hair is shiny. If you have more open scales, you can perm jeri curls and dye your hair any color easily, but your hair isn't as shiny. Or at least that's what I've been told.

Seaboe
Old 27 February 2015, 10:49 PM

Tantrum

I've had a hair disaster. My stylist was in a hurry and gave me orange highlights in my brown hair. I have ashy blond ombre ends, so the orange in the roots (which were supposed to be ashy blond, too, but didn't process long enough) looks absurd. She's my friend and has been doing my hair for more than 10 years, but she's gotten so popular it's hard to get in with her, and she can't fit me in to fix it until my next appointment in 6 weeks. She offered to refund my $, but that won't fix my clown hair.

What do I do? My hair is tricky to color, and I don't know anyone I trust not to make it worse. The blond ends mean I can't just throw a home color over everything. Any advice?

I should add that she gives me a friend discount, so I dont want to act like a jerk.
Old 28 February 2015, 02:39 PM

Ask her to recommend someone to fix it. There must be someone she trusts who can fit you in.