snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 02 June 2013, 02:30 PM

Target's Merona brand used to include a double-layer tee -- it was mostly cotton, with just a touch of lycra, came in varying sleeve lengths and necklines, and had a double layer of fabric in the front. They have discontinued it. Anybody know where I might find a shirt like that? I liked the stretch, and the extra coverage at the front.
Old 02 June 2013, 03:22 PM

I just bought a few Ts at Target and while I didn't see what you describe the fabric seems to be thicker than what has been available the last few years.
Old 02 June 2013, 03:29 PM

Yeah, the double layer just gives some extra shaping and modesty. The only tops they have now with double fronts are v-neck tanks, which are cut low enough that I'd need a cami under them for work, which sort of undoes the point of the double layer.
Old 02 June 2013, 03:34 PM

Ann Taylor knit tops tend to have a double-layered front.

However, AT is pretty spendy compared to Target.
Old 03 June 2013, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plurabelle View Post
I shaved my head recently (it's about an inch long now and I'm keeping it that length for at least a while, it used to be very long but very high maintenance and not very pretty, whereas now it's SUPER cute) and I'm curious:

How many products do you regularly use to get ready to face the world?

Cleanliness: Toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, face wash/soap
General Prep: antiperspirant, sunscreen, lotion(at night), sometimes body powder or body spray.
Cosmetics: Lately on most days it's just lip balm (sometimes tinted balm), sometimes coverup.

I used to wear foundation and coverup on most days, but my skin has been looking a little better lately and has also been dry so if I wear foundation/coverup it looks worse than if I don't because it doesn't spread properly and collects in dry patches. Once in a while I use eyeliner, but eye makeup and any powder (face powder, blush, eyeshadow etc) bothers my sensitive skin and irritates my eyes so I usually don't wear it. Sometimes I use a lip stain, not that often. I don't know if it counts but I also use a prescription gel for acne (every other day.)
Sometimes I use hair products to add texture or a "hair sunscreen" product which keeps the color from fading as quickly, but not very often. Most days, I either just brush it or the most I do with my hair is use a straightening iron on the parts that tend to get wavy and stick out oddly.
Old 05 June 2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
My period started Saturday. For the first time in months. It's [whited for TMI] clotty, and crampy, and miserable. And I'm having hot flashes at the same time.
And here we go again, 34 days later. Aaaaargh. DO NOT WANT!
Old 05 June 2013, 11:57 PM

Toothpaste and soap are about the only products I use every day. I don't always need deodorant if I swab my pits with alcohol or if I'm not sweating. I only shampoo and condition my hair twice a week. Lotion or coconut oil is on an as-needed basis for dry skin. I don't wear makeup, and I only wear sunscreen if I'm on vacation or planning to be outside for at least an hour in summer (not likely).
Old 06 June 2013, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xia View Post
Is not that the scent changes when I put it on-- it's that the scent gives me a nasty headache when I'm exposed for a longer period, whether it's on me, in the air, in the container or whatever. So when I try something in a store sometimes it seems ok but if I bring some home I find that when I've smelled it a little longer it starts to bother me. Other times it doesn't take more than a whiff to give me a headache, like if someone walks past me wearing a really strong perfume, but sometimes a scent seems fine t first but takes longer exposure to cause a headache.
Oh, preach it sister! I have annoyed many a saleswoman by asking if I can smell the foundation, before I started even trying to find a colour match!

One thing that works really well for me is to find a really, really good quality essential oil, and make my own sprays and perfumes from that - a true rose works beautifully for me [though a cheaper blended one usually doesn't ]
Here, health food stores have tiny bottles of e.oil, a started going in and trying a drop of a tester bottle on the inside of my wrist, and wearing it for a day.
[I have a beautiful blend called 'Spring's Awakening' with rosewood, lime and jasmine, which I impulse bought, but never wear because it gives me allery symptoms, lol]

Then, a few drops of oil into an atomiser/spray bottle of cooled boiled water. Shake before using, and spray on.
Easy!

I really really like that I have my own 'signature scent' too.
Old 24 June 2013, 02:45 AM

I bought a few sundresses to wear this summer, and I'd like to buy more but some have spaghetti straps (like this) and I'm having trouble figuring out what to do so my bra doesn't show? I can't go braless and I find strapless bras really uncomfortable, plus if I wear one I'm always adjusting it and I feel like it's going to fall down... I tried a tank top under some but it looked bad, and it would also be hot to wear layers in 85-90 degree weather.
I also have a few strapless tops/dresses that I'm trying to figure out if I can somehow add straps or something, to cover my bra straps and so I don't feel like the top's going to fall down. I have this one and I think two similar to this style/shape: http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Royal-Bones-L...8fg~~60_35.JPG

Last edited by Xia; 24 June 2013 at 02:53 AM.
Old 24 June 2013, 03:09 AM

would it not be easier to get a strapless bra? or an underbust corset?
Old 24 June 2013, 03:46 AM

Sometimes I solve the bra strap problem by buying one that matches or coordinates with the dress, so it's not too obvious. I've even taken a fabric marker to bra straps to match a particular dress. However, a lot of sundresses seem to hang down too low in the back and they expose my bra band. What I try to look for are empire waists (for breast support), wide straps, and padding.
Old 24 June 2013, 04:24 AM

I find strapless bras really uncomfortable, the longest I've worn one was for a dance and it was bad enough, I'd hate to have to wear it all day. A corset would be even worse and hotter/more uncomfortable in the middle of summer.
I already bought the one striped sundress I linked to in my first post with the spaghetti straps, I saw a few others I liked also, and it seems like a lot of them have straps like that. If it's cooler outside I can wear a sweater or shrug over it to hide the bra straps but it's already been really hot this summer so it's probably only going to get hotter.
Old 24 June 2013, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xia View Post
I find strapless bras really uncomfortable, the longest I've worn one was for a dance and it was bad enough, I'd hate to have to wear it all day. A corset would be even worse and hotter/more uncomfortable in the middle of summer.
I already bought the one striped sundress I linked to in my first post with the spaghetti straps, I saw a few others I liked also, and it seems like a lot of them have straps like that. If it's cooler outside I can wear a sweater or shrug over it to hide the bra straps but it's already been really hot this summer so it's probably only going to get hotter.
The best dress I've ever worn was an orange one that I got four years ago when I was fifteen. I had to wear it to a school dinner.
Old 24 June 2013, 06:08 AM

I was looking to see if I could find any bras with straps that looked nice or strapless ones that looked comfortable. While searching I found a few called "bralettes" which had nice looking straps and some were shown partially visible under clothes as sort of a layering thing, is that common? I'm wondering if that would look ok under a sundress since it seems like they look a little bit more like clothes (nicer/less underwear looking) and made to be seen?

Last edited by Xia; 24 June 2013 at 06:13 AM.
Old 24 June 2013, 01:48 PM

Get some clear or decorative bra straps and use them with a convertible type bra.
Old 24 June 2013, 02:16 PM

Xia, I think the bralettes would work, but I also like the pretty/clear bra strap idea (and Cervus' use of the fabric marker is genius).

If you have a dress that's worth the expense to you, you might also consider having bra cups sewn into the bodice. That would eliminate the double-layer issue entirely.

Or, you could, with minimal sewing skills (or even with pins) make straps out of wide ribbon to to go under the spaghetti straps -- just cut the ribbon to the right length and sew/pin each end in place.

ETA: By "minimal sewing skills" I mean the ability to tack something in place.
Old 18 July 2013, 03:24 AM

Now that I work somewhere a bit more casual, I get to have a little more fun with my wardrobe. Almost my whole career I have been stuck with black or brown leather purses. I want something fun! Any suggestions on where I might look?
Old 18 July 2013, 11:39 AM

TJ Maxx and Marshall's and the like are usually good places to look for purses. I usually start at Amazon to get an idea of what styles and colors are out there, but end up at a physical store so I can see the pockets and how big they really are.
Old 18 July 2013, 11:57 AM

Computer

Nine West has some really nice purses, I got the latest from them online for $20 so that's something to check out.

In Canada Winners is a good bet to find something bright and fun, I think that's Marshalls in the US.

Currently purses seem to be my latest impulse buy, small cross body purses to be exact. I bought one for me in a metallic grey and one for my sister in orange from the nine west website.
Old 18 July 2013, 12:56 PM

Thanks for the suggestions! I forgot to mention that I live at least 3 hours from any real retail stores - I have to do this on line and cross my fingers.