snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 03 September 2012, 02:15 AM

Icon220 Girl talk

Taking the liberty of starting a new girl talk thread, because I can't find the old one (apologies if it is still out there and I'm just being incompetent) and I need advice. So, it's a ways ahead, but I'm planning on dressing up as Merida (from Brave) for Halloween. The dress is fine, no problems, but I need help with the hair. I'm not wearing a wig--I have hip-length red hair, so I should be able to make this work. The thing, though, is that while it's naturally wavy, it's not very curly. And I'm a complete idiot when it comes to doing stuff with my hair. Really, I wash it and condition it, let it dry overnight, and then brush it the next morning and put it in a bun or braid it, and I really don't know about more stuff to do with it. A while ago a friend showed me how to do pin curls (you get your hair wet, then roll it up and pin them up and then let them dry) and I tried them today. Not only was my hair still damp after 9 hours, but while it was definitely more curly, it wasn't anything near Merida (picture of the results).

I'd like to get more of an effect, if possible, but I'm not sure how to. Part of the problem, I think, is that my hair is just so long that the weight pulls the curls out. I'm pretty sure there must be styling products that would help with that, but I honestly have no idea what they would be (really, I'm an idiot about these things). And do you think I would have more luck with a curling iron or something else? I like the pin curls because I don't need anything other than bobby pins and there's no heat to worry about damage, but I'm willing to try something else if it'll work better. Obviously I'm not going to have hair exactly like an animated figure's, but something closer would be great, if anyone has any suggestions for how I might do that.
Old 03 September 2012, 02:38 AM

I think what you want are spiral curls. I found some how-tos and videos on getting spiral curls, some of them specifically aimed at long hair.

BTW, your hair is gorgeous! ETA: And a lot like my daughter's. . . she got the hair I always wanted.

I just splurged and bought this bag. Starting in December I expect to be commuting by bus, so I wanted something sturdy and easily cleaned for carrying my work laptop plus lunch & miscellany. That one seems to be good quality, the design is funky enough not to bore me but simple/classic enough that I won't get tired of it, and I think I got a good deal on it.

Last edited by Lainie; 03 September 2012 at 02:44 AM.
Old 03 September 2012, 02:58 AM

Oooh, spiral curls. That was the key word I was missing. Thanks!

My hair is generally less curly and more frizzy than that shot. It's a bit of the same thing in our family--Mom has perfectly straight blond hair and always wanted hair with more body. Although since I moved to more humid climes than Colorado, I've often enough wished that my hair had less.

Nice bag! I may have to send that to my mom too. She's commuting by bus these days, and her inexpensive boring bag died recently, so she was looking for a replacement. That's way more interesting than my plain black leather laptop bag (which I don't use regularly, but it's still nice to have).
Old 03 September 2012, 03:00 AM

Back when I had very, very long hair and wanted it to be very, very curly, I'd set it on pipe cleaners.

You want it to be not terribly wet--just damp--or else it won't properly dry. But otherwise use them like rollers. Set your hair in the evening, a few hours before bed, then sleep on them.

If you want curly hair but not quite so tight, use foam rollers. This is what I do now, when I want to curl my hair (although it's now about shoulder length).
Old 03 September 2012, 03:36 AM

Using very small sections will yield more, tighter curls, and help it dry faster. Styling gel applied to the hair before curling might help the curls hold.

And once it's curled, don't brush it.

ETA: I believe there are hair products designed specifically to help wavy/frizzy hair form more defined curls, but I'm not personally familiar with them.
Old 03 September 2012, 04:53 AM

These might help with the curls and styling products:

http://www.ehow.com/video_8098300_sp...long-hair.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG__omOLaKM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8FcE557EsA

You can probably find more videos if you look at the suggested ones from those.
If you want more of the volume, I think a small amount of backcombing might help? Not enough to make it frizzy but enough to give volume, especially near the roots maybe...
Old 03 September 2012, 08:47 AM

What if, after curling it, you hold the top layer out of the way, and brush out/backcomb the underneath (still maybe not to the ends) so that it goes dandelion, lay the neat top section of spirals over the pouffy bit, and spray lacquer over the whole thing?

It'd be a pig to untangle at the end of the day, but that should get you the big Disney hair?
Old 03 September 2012, 11:44 AM

When my sister needed tons of bouncy curls for Irish dancing she slept in foam rollers.

My oldest daughter wants to be Merida too.
Old 03 September 2012, 10:07 PM

Lately I've been looking for a pair of shoes that I'm pretty certain may not exist: a retro Mary Jane style with a very low heel, something that's cute but not too dressy and not chunky-looking or frumpy. Something that I could comfortably walk around in for several hours. And my budget is only $30.

I can find lots of shoes that fit one or two of these criteria, but I don't think the shoe in my mind actually exists.
Old 03 September 2012, 10:29 PM

Cervus, Payless has some low-heeled Mary Janes for under $30. I don't know what the quality is like.

The first couple have pretty high heels, but the rest are low.
Old 03 September 2012, 10:36 PM

I actually tried on a few of those flats at Payless today. Most weren't comfortable, and the one pair that was (with the side bow) wasn't really the look I wanted. I realize that "cute" and "plain" or "frumpy" are completely subjective, but if I can't find anything else I can go with something like that. I just wish I could find a shoe that was both comfortable and cute.
Old 03 September 2012, 10:38 PM

Cervus, I have been looking for a pair of imaginary shoes too! About 7 years ago I bought a pair of shoes in a sale at Office. They are the perfect height for me, including a thick sole (I wouldn't call it a platform because it's only about half an inch thick, but it means that although the heel is about 2.5 inches they are fabbily comfortable to walk in all day) and a stack-effect heel (which is also a nice comfy upside-down V shape, although not with a stiletto point). They are black leather, with a double ankle strap. The veneer on the heel has now peeled to the extent that they aren't "smart" enough for work any more, and I do miss them. I don't like really high heels because I am already nearly 6 foot tall, but a bit of heel makes me feel office-y, smart and efficient (for some reason).

I got a great bag in Primark in the summer, which I used all during our camping holiday, and which is now my "everything" bag (contains baby wipes, a couple of nappies, wallet, keys, phone, pencils and paper (children, for the distraction of), copy of The Gruffalo, 3 snack-size boxes of raisins, notebook, diary, plastic bag (you never know), more baby wipes (ditto)...

There's a picture of one here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PRIMARK-WE...-/221062339239

I love prints.
Old 03 September 2012, 10:41 PM

Me too, Embra.

I have a cute pair of Mary Janes that I find very comfy -- they feel like Dearfoams slippers, but with arch support -- but they're dressier than I think you'd like, Cervus. Sadly, the sole's starting to peel away from the toe on one of them; I need to see if I can fix that or get it fixed.
Old 03 September 2012, 11:39 PM

Cervus, if you find those mythical shoes, let me know. I love shoes but I have so many foot problems--a bad ankle from RA, bunions, Morton's neuroma, and a tendency to blister easily--that it is difficult to find any that are both comfortable enough for a day's worth of standing and walking and affordable on a graduate student budget.

I teach college students so I often wear dressy/professional clothes, and even when I'm not teaching I prefer to wear skirts and dresses, but it's difficult to find low heels and wedges in my price and comfort range. It's all tall and/or skinny heels that I can't walk in or ballet flats.
Old 03 September 2012, 11:46 PM

I have very picky feet, so the majority of my shoes have lots of arch and heel support, thick soles, foam inserts, and are kind of thick and chunky-looking. Some of them look like orthopedic shoes, which are great for walking, but don't really go with flirty dresses. I can't really wear "dressy" shoes, the least of which is because I sweat and blister easily.
Old 04 September 2012, 12:10 AM

I could get away with wearing any kind of shoe when I was young -- or so I thought. I'm paying for that now. Better to wear something with some support and cushioning to begin with.
Old 04 September 2012, 07:20 PM

Back on the subject of curls, I have very loose full curls, but I had a hair stylist use this particular hair product on me and it turned my usually full and lose curls into tight spirals. It was seriously bizarre and I couldn't believe it was my own hair when I saw myself in a mirror afterwards because I'd never seen my curls look like that. Since your hair isn't naturally very curly, you may need to start off with doing some sort of pinning to get the curls started, but this hair product might help to keep the curls in place.
Old 04 September 2012, 07:48 PM

I've got another Halloween hair question. I've been looking at wavy dark brown hair extensions for my costume. I'm going to be Snow White from Once Upon a Time. (As a bandit if you're familiar with the show.) It will have to be something I can do myself. Is there a term I can use to find this or a particular brand. There is a lot of fake hair out here!

Fortunately the actress also has short hair and they use extensions. The look I want appears to optimize having the real bangs swept back over where the fake hair attaches. It doesn't have to look perfect.
Old 04 September 2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I just splurged and bought this bag. Starting in December I expect to be commuting by bus, so I wanted something sturdy and easily cleaned for carrying my work laptop plus lunch & miscellany. That one seems to be good quality, the design is funky enough not to bore me but simple/classic enough that I won't get tired of it, and I think I got a good deal on it.
Love the bag Lainie! Wonder if I could find one similar but smaller for an iPad.

In my experience, I cannot carry a laptop over my shoulder for any considerable length of time as it makes my shoulder hurt and throws my back out of whack. The backpack I use makes me look like a student, but my back is much happier.
Old 04 September 2012, 08:35 PM

I stopped by my favorite resale place Sunday and snagged two very cute sweaters and a nice long, warm but wool-free scarf in shades of purple (can't wear wool near my face).

LB, here's the brand's selection of iPAD/laptop sleeves. They don't have the black damask, but they have the other two prints my bag comes in, plus some other cute prints. If the prices look steep, you might try googling the design you like -- I paid about 30% less for my bag than the Kailo site lists it at.

Last edited by Lainie; 04 September 2012 at 08:41 PM.