snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 01 October 2012, 10:02 PM

I'm grumpy.

I mentioned in another thread that I'm home sick today. This is extra annoying because I have a half marathon next Sunday and I'm feeling generally cruddy. I'm not that sick - stuffed-up/runny nose, fatigued, etc - so I have no doubt I'll be fine in a couple days, but right now my mind just doesn't want to deal with the thought of running hard in six days. I just want to sit on the couch, eat ice cream and mope a bit. Part of the problem is that I was already tapering this week when I got sick, so I've gone from doing 50+ kilometers weekly to only doing a couple light runs, and thanks to getting hit with the snot monster yesterday, I had to skip one of my planned runs. That means I'm already feeling a bit lazy, and now the cold is making me feel even more slug-like. I'm really struggling to keep my eating in check right now and I'm feeling the effects.

I know I'll be full of energy and ready to go on Sunday, especially since the race is in a gorgeous location and I'm really looking forward to it, but right now I just want it to be over and done with. I had an aggressive time goal that I may or may not reach, and right now I don't care. I just want to cross the finish line. I'm pretty sure this is just a pre-race funk and that as soon as I get on the plane it'll hit and I'll be excited again, but ugh... I'm just not feeling it today. I wish it was three weeks ago when I felt like I could leap over buildings if I wanted to.

It doesn't help that I have some things I want to try to finally drop my last 5-10 pounds as soon as I'm done with this race. It'll involve some experimenting with my diet, which I didn't want to do while I was at the heaviest part of my training, and I'm eager to get started.

Ah well... enough whining. I still have five and a half days to look after myself, eat healthy, and rest up like I'm supposed to this week.
Old 01 October 2012, 10:22 PM

Does anyone have tips for pretending office junkfood doesn't exist? I'm perfectly happy not buying junkfood, and I don't miss it if it's not available - but it's so hard to resist the near-constant offerings of chocolate, biscuits and cakes...
Old 01 October 2012, 11:29 PM

Well, according to the anti-drug posters, just say no. Supposedly works equally well for sex according to Sarah Palin.
Old 01 October 2012, 11:46 PM

Gum, maybe?
Old 01 October 2012, 11:50 PM

My strategy is to look up the WW points/calories. And then ask myself if it is worth it. I find that a lot of the snacking on stuff I did at work was just because it was there. Also I keep fruit at my desk. Not the same, I know. But there will also be other cakes and biscuits. Having said that, I would have a really hard time keeping my paws off of chocolate Hobnobs were they routinely around.
Old 02 October 2012, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
Gum, maybe?
The gum trick ends up doing the opposite for me. I don't know if it has to do with swallowing more saliva than usual or not, but I end up feeling hungry after I throw out a piece of thoroughly-chewed gum--usually to the point of hunger pains.
Old 08 October 2012, 05:02 AM

Cheer

Earlier in the thread, I posted about the Zombie Run 5k that I was planning to do on the 28th October as my 3rd official 5k race. I decided that this wasn't really a great goal, because of the concept of the race. Instead, I went for the PBS 5k which was yesterday (if Mitt won't fund PBS, don't worry, I'm willing to help you out, Big Bird ). It was 3 weeks before my planned race, but I set myself the same goal of 25 minutes.
I hit my goal! I officially timed 24:51, a pace of 8:01/mile, 30 seconds per mile quicker than my previous best race 8 weeks ago! I was slightly disappointed not to break 8 minute miles, but the course was like a roller coaster. I started fading in the 3rd mile and a couple of times was on the brink of walking. I forced myself to keep going though, and a final push to the finish line got me in just under target. I'm still really happy with my progress since I started running about 4 months ago.

I've also signed up for my next goal. I'm doing the Saint and Sinners half-marathon in Boulder City on 27th October. At the aid stations there are saints' tables with water/gatorade, etc, and sinners' tables with donuts and cookies!
It's just 3 weeks away, but over the last couple of weeks I've been combining half marathon training into my 5k schedule. It's a big jump, but I think I'll be ok. The course is mostly downhill (see link below), and the organizers claim it's good for a first time half-marathoner. I'm not publicly aiming for a time (although, I have a secret one in my head for training purposes), I'm mostly just wanting to finish without walking.

http://saintsandsinnershalf.com/inde...half-marathon/
Old 08 October 2012, 07:15 AM

Congrats stalker! That's a fantastic time! Good luck with your first half. I find the hardest part is not burning through the reserves in the beginning, because it's so easy to get caught up in the crowd.

I ran my second official HM today, and I'm really pleased. I managed to knock 3.5 minutes off my PR and come in 37 seconds over the two hour mark. Since I still wasn't 100% after being sick earlier this week, I'll take that. It was my first out of town race, and I really enjoyed that aspect of it. I found that the benefit from running at sea level (my home city is fairly high altitude) probably balanced out the hillier costal course. The best part was that my entire family was there to watch me run and played leapfrog over the course so I saw them several times. It gave me a huge extra boost.

Now I have three months to get myself into proper marathon training shape, because 42k is going to be a whole new ballgame.
Old 08 October 2012, 02:55 PM

Great job, stalker and quink! I'm impressed.

I don't know that I am ever going to be able to run a 5k in less than 45 minutes. Running at even 5 miles per hour gets me to my max heart rate pretty quick and I have to slow down before I have a cardiac incident. I've been running for a year, and I still have to walk for most of my workout. Maybe I'm not pushing myself hard enough.

8 miles per hour isn't even in the realm of possibility. At 6 miles per hour on the treadmill I feel like my feet are going to fly out from under me.
Old 09 October 2012, 01:32 AM

Thanks kit_n_caboodle, and thanks and congrats to you too, quink! Especially given your post on October 1st! Well done!! I'll be very happy if I get close to the 2 hour mark for my half marathon.

kit_n_caboodle, have you been following a training plan? I've done a beginners 6 week 5k plan, followed by an intermediates 8 week 5k plan. I'm now on to the last 3 weeks of a 6 week half-marathon plan. They mix up speed intervals, easy, tempo, and long runs. Without that, I don't think I'd have seen anything like the improvements. A friend sent me a calculator for what paces I should've been running particular training runs:

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/index...sage/calculate

Enter a distance you can run, and the time you run it in, and it should tell you your training paces (none of the other fields seem to do anything). They'll likely look pretty slow. When I was running, I was unsure whether it was even helping at all (3 of my 4 runs per week in the first training plan felt like they weren't even worth doing!). It really helped though.

Also, have you done a test for your max heart rate? I haven't specifically done one, but the max for my age from most of the formulas is around 184. If I believed this, I'd struggle to run any pace! For my 5k at the weekend (and my previous one too), I averaged 180 over the whole race. I know that 184 isn't my max because I've seen 196 on my heart rate monitor on some early training runs.
If I take 196 as my max, that gives me a 91.8% average effort for the 5k, which is within the bounds that people usually think a 5k should be run at.

I can't do that pace on a treadmill either! I really don't enjoy treadmill running, and agree that it feels dangerous at anything above 6 mph. Now that I have a GPS watch for pacing, I hope to never have to use one again.
Old 09 October 2012, 01:57 AM

Okay, I'm going to have to spend some time on that calculator to figure out what it's telling me! Lots of numbers... Thanks. If I can improve my time I will be much happier. When I am running, I push at the top of my zone, trying to get better. I haven't been following a plan, and I guess I just thought I'd get better as I kept at it but I haven't.

I did a max heart rate test that I found on the Internet (run as hard as you can at intervals, and when your heartrate stops going up, whatever it's at, that's your max) and determined that my max heart rate is a little higher than the basic 220 minus your age. It feels fairly right to me. For days after I did the test, I could still feel it in my lungs! But it's still just 178.

I don't run outside much. With winter coming, I likely won't start now either.
Old 09 October 2012, 02:47 AM

Yeah, those figures can be a bit overwhelming! Thankfully, most of the numbers can be ignored! They make a bit more sense when put with a training plan.
This was the original one that I did (I thought it was beginner, but it's actually intermediate):

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/racing...hedule/72.html

The figures to look out for are:
"Easy Runs" - Anywhere it says "Easy" on the plan
"Tempo Runs" or "Tempo Intervals" (They're very similar times) - Anywhere it says "Brisk" on the plan
"Recovery Jogs" - Anywhere it says "Recovery" on the plan

Most plans will have similar wording for the different types.

That's a shame about the outside running! Here in Vegas, I'm thinking that I'll be fine running through the whole winter. It's actually the summer that was a struggle (80+ degrees by 7am most days!). I'm hoping to reap the rewards when it cools down though.

ETA: When I started, I was also running to my max and thinking I'd improve that way. A friend told me that it wasn't a great way to improve. He said it generally tires you out too much to recover properly. You develop better at threshold runs (just enough to be a bit of effort, but not enough to fully tire you out), short quick intervals with recoveries to get your body used to speed, and easy ones to help with recovery.

Last edited by stalker; 09 October 2012 at 02:53 AM.
Old 14 October 2012, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurquoiseGirl View Post
My strategy is to look up the WW points/calories. And then ask myself if it is worth it. I find that a lot of the snacking on stuff I did at work was just because it was there. Also I keep fruit at my desk. Not the same, I know. But there will also be other cakes and biscuits. Having said that, I would have a really hard time keeping my paws off of chocolate Hobnobs were they routinely around.
What I do is ask myself is it really that good that I want to consume the calories. A lot of stuff I eat just because. Now that I have changed my diet I analyze my decisions at times. An example: I was at a volunteer group where Dominoes pizza was served. I ate two small slices and was ready to go for the third when I asked myself is it really THAT good? No it's not. It's Dominoes. Now a NY style pizza at a local place is THAT good and I may indulge myself more.
Old 14 October 2012, 11:17 PM

I have the same philosophy. I love a good burger or pizza occasionally, or a really nice ice cream, so I've basically told myself that if I'm going to go for the treat, it's going to be worth it. At first it was a struggle not to mindlessly treat myself (I think you end up feeling like the child whose parent is punishing them by denying them candy), but now when I do have a typical fast food burger or a convenience store ice cream treat, it just feels flat and disappointing. For things like impulse buys in the store, I just tell myself that if I really do want the item some day, I'm perfectly capable of getting it. I don't have to get it because it's here now and looks good.

As for things like office treats, I'll plan for them if I know about them (we do birthday cake every two months on my floor, for example), but if it's just something someone has left in the kitchen I'll add it into my food tracker to see if I like it there. If I do, and if it's worth it, I'll go for it (and by entering it into my menu, I can stop myself at one). Otherwise, I wasn't planning to have it anyway, so I'm not depriving myself of anything by passing.

eta: Since my post-race diet clean-up, I'm down four pounds. That was all temporary weight anyway (I don't do carbo-loading before races, but I do up my carb and calorie intake beyond what I'd normally eat), but it's still nice to be back in my comfort zone. Now I just need to break out of that comfort zone on the other side. I'd gotten really bad at mindless snacking again, especially since my husband's in a new job that has him working evenings and I tend to get bored. It's been a bit of a struggle to stick to the plan this week, but I'm starting to get back into the right mindset and I'm not having to tell myself 'no' as often.

Last edited by quink; 14 October 2012 at 11:24 PM.
Old 15 October 2012, 12:00 AM

Does anyone here use Fitocracy to track their workouts? I started using it this summer and managed to get the "Cycle 100 km" achievement. Too cold for cycling now so I've just joined the local gym. It's run by the council [local government] so it's cheap but basic.
Old 15 October 2012, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quink View Post
As for things like office treats, I'll plan for them if I know about them (we do birthday cake every two months on my floor, for example), but if it's just something someone has left in the kitchen I'll add it into my food tracker to see if I like it there. If I do, and if it's worth it, I'll go for it (and by entering it into my menu, I can stop myself at one). Otherwise, I wasn't planning to have it anyway, so I'm not depriving myself of anything by passing.
Yup. There are several of us on WW at work. A common question when something appears in the break room is "Is it worth the points?". Someone will inevitably have figured them out and communicate it to the others. Most the time the answer is "no".

Today I was craving a burger with a buttery bun. So I went to Fuddruckers. It's planned and I didn't use all my weekly points, so it's all good. Particularly since the rest of the week's meals will likely be soup.

Also, tonight, I am moving up to 8 pound weights on my bicep curls and triceps extensions!
Old 15 October 2012, 10:06 AM

United Kingdom

I am going to be competing for Scotland in powerlifting at this http://gbpf4nations.com/ event. It's a little awkward because there are literally only about 6 women to choose from, and I'm a long way behind those who will be winning. Still. I'm going, and I'm going to have a great time, and hopefully set some new PRs.
Old 15 October 2012, 01:01 PM

Good for you! That's great!
Old 19 October 2012, 07:02 PM

I just found a great new food: Minute (Rice) Ready to Serve Multi-Grain Medley. Yummy, and it has 6 grams of fiber, 6 grams of protein, and a full days' supply of whole grains!
Old 19 October 2012, 11:53 PM

That's awesome, Compass!

I've been going to the gym now on average twice a week since May, and I love it. I have arthritic knees and a spinal problem, but I work out on weight machines and the treadmill and the cross trainer (or Ripley-iser, as I call it. "Get away from her, you bitch!") and I really enjoy it. The serotonin boost is amazing.

Last edited by Hastings; 19 October 2012 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Error in spelling