snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 17 August 2012, 02:40 PM

Icon104

Yeah, mine too. I didn't even pay $10 for the $10 pedometer; I used a $5 off coupon.

ETA: Seriously, Chloe, we should get together and go shopping some time. You'd love this place.

Last edited by Lainie; 17 August 2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old 17 August 2012, 02:53 PM

Moose

About a month ago I started a low carb diet combines with a bit of exercise. It seems to be working well. I can definitely see the difference. My clothes are looser and I can see more of my lower body past my belly when I look down. For the first time in about 13 years I am under 200lb.

I want to get my self down to about 170 - 175. This was where I felt most comfortable in the past. I used to be around the 155 range when I was in my early twenties but I worked like a machine at physical labour then and had the % body fat of a greyhound.

I am looking forward to playing hockey again this winter. Those extra fifty pounds put a lot of strain and torque on your knees and hips when you have to drop into a butterfly and definitely slow you down on you lateral movement.

The only drawback is having to replace my wardrobes over the next few months. I can cinch my belt a little tighter to hide the fact that my pants are two inches too big but when it gets to four inches it will mean new clothes.
Old 17 August 2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Yeah, mine too. I didn't even pay $10 for the $10 pedometer; I used a $5 off coupon.

ETA: Seriously, Chloe, we should get together and go shopping some time. You'd love this place.
Yes, I would! 300 miles though; I'd have to get some great bargains!
Old 17 August 2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post

It's a $10 pedometer. Maybe I'm getting what I pay for. Maybe I should just use it a work to measure steps, and use MapMyWalk or my car's trip odometer to plot my walks.
I had the same problem with a $40 one once.
I eventually just counted the steps and then used the idea that 2000 steps equalled one mile. I actually should find my pedometer. That was always good incentive to get me to move.
Old 17 August 2012, 03:39 PM

If you have a smart phone, there are a lot of walking/running aps that will tell you distance, pace, elevation, calorie burn estimates, etc. I use Nike+ GPS myself, and it's always been pretty accurate for distance and mapping. It has a lot of other features I like for setting up a training program and it gives you audio feedback as you go (if you want it). I just tried a pedometer for a couple months for a work challenge, but I was never able to get it quite right.

Last edited by quink; 17 August 2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 17 August 2012, 03:44 PM

Oo, I don't know why I didn't think of an app. I do have a smartphone, and I've started carrying it when I walk anyway in case I fall or something (I'm 50, I don't bounce back up as well I used to).

I need either new walking pants with pockets, or some other way to stow my phone and keys. Carrying them in my hand gets old, and I'm nervous every time I walk by a storm sewer grate. Sometimes I tuck my keys in my waistband, but that won't work for the smart phone.
Old 17 August 2012, 03:49 PM

A friend of mine does this thing where her miles walked with her smart phone also results in a contribution to charity. I will look this up and get back to this.
Old 17 August 2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
Yes, I would! 300 miles though; I'd have to get some great bargains!
Well there's also the zoo, and German village, and lots of good ethnic restaurants, and Jeni's ice cream.
Old 17 August 2012, 03:58 PM

If you want to go all batman, check out fuelbelt for some ideas. I use a streamlined waist belt that's just big enough for my phone and keys on my short distances, and a heavy duty belt with multiple water bottles and tons of storage space for my long runs. I like the belts because they work with anything I'm wearing, pockets or not. The big one might look a little goofy, but the small belt is barely noticeable, so it's not like the old fanny packs.

Eta: an armband is a good phone solution, too.
Old 17 August 2012, 05:04 PM

I usually have pockets anyhow because I am usually walking for exercise with the dogs and so poop bags and treats are required.
Old 17 August 2012, 05:08 PM

I wear a pair of mesh capris like these to walk (and sit around the house, and sometimes run errands) -- only mine don't have pockets. [pout] Maybe it's time to buy a new pair.

ETA: Those are actually cheaper than the armband I was looking at.
Old 17 August 2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurquoiseGirl View Post
I had the same problem with a $40 one once.
I eventually just counted the steps and then used the idea that 2000 steps equalled one mile. I actually should find my pedometer. That was always good incentive to get me to move.
Rule of thumb that sort of works: 2 steps equal your height. I am 6'2" and 2 steps equal 6 feet. Therefore 1 mile equals 1760 steps. So 2000 steps per mile is probably close if you are around 5'3" plus or minus.
Old 17 August 2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
Rule of thumb that sort of works: 2 steps equal your height. I am 6'2" and 2 steps equal 6 feet. Therefore 1 mile equals 1760 steps. So 2000 steps per mile is probably close if you are around 5'3" plus or minus.
5'2". I would like to say I determined this mathematically, but it was a WAG.
Old 20 August 2012, 02:33 PM

Dog

Assuming the Metroparks trails are measured correctly, Space Dog just dragged me 3.4 miles in one hour and five minutes. *wheeze* *pant* So that's just over 19 minutes for one mile. For someone whose best time at running a mile back in the sad days of gym class was over 14 minutes, that's a pretty fast walk! I think the dog is putting me in training for power walking at the 2016 Olympics.
Old 20 August 2012, 11:58 PM

After seeing my parents for the first time in a year in May, they had a conversation with me about their concern for my weight. I've known I needed to lose some (a lot), but I couldn't make anything stick. I've even been put on the list of bariatric surgery, but that is something I do not want to do.

Not having much money, my parents offered to help with one of the weight loss programs around here, and it's working well. Having to go in is keeping me accountable.

Since starting mid June, I'm down 35lbs so far. I was starting to get discouraged as my weight kept hovering around the 30lbs mark for 2 weeks with no movement and finally on Friday I broke through!

I need to start exercising, but since 85-90% of all my excess weight is around my stomach, most exercise is leaving me with a sore lower back. I'm hoping in another 25lbs I can start working out with no worries. Fingers crossed
Old 28 September 2012, 08:53 PM

I have no reason to think that I am gluten-intolerant, but I've been avoiding gluten and getting my carbs in the form of green leafy veggies and fruit (and the occasional alcoholic drink because I'm not a masochist) for several months now for weight loss.

I've lost 12 pounds, and I've noticed that my energy and mood seems to be much steadier. I feel great, and I don't feel like I am dieting. I've also been running four times a week (well, not lately but that's a motivation thing).

Yesterday I went out for lunch and had noodles. Today, I am grouchy as hell and I feel tired and spacey. I also put on two pounds. I haven't been eating less salt, so I don't think that's it.

Anyway, I'm taking it as validation that I should keep doing what I'm doing.
Old 01 October 2012, 02:14 AM

I really need to start exercising and eating less. I have easily gained fifty pounds since this current job (which I had started a little over three years ago). I'm someone who sweats more than average, so I get dehydrated easily. My joints have been hurting me a lot, I have been swollen, and really tired. I had learned a few days ago that I have a vitamin D deficiency. Now, I'm taking supplements, which should eventually help with the pain, swelling, and fatigue. Considering that, I would like to become more physically active again. Does anyone know of any online sources that provide lists and explanations of exercises and routines that a good for obese people who are trying to get their act together? I really need to have some set lists in writing, or else I'm going to forget and use that as an excuse to not bother trying. Also, do any of you know of ways of preventing yourself from using food as a method of comfort during anger and depression? I know that that accounts for most of my overeating.
Old 01 October 2012, 02:52 AM

Does anyone else who is working out have a kinect? Next week sometime I'm thinking about getting one of the workout games, but I always have more incentive to work out when I'm trying to win at something
Old 01 October 2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet Jello View Post
I really need to start exercising and eating less. I have easily gained fifty pounds since this current job (which I had started a little over three years ago). I'm someone who sweats more than average, so I get dehydrated easily. My joints have been hurting me a lot, I have been swollen, and really tired. I had learned a few days ago that I have a vitamin D deficiency. Now, I'm taking supplements, which should eventually help with the pain, swelling, and fatigue. Considering that, I would like to become more physically active again. Does anyone know of any online sources that provide lists and explanations of exercises and routines that a good for obese people who are trying to get their act together? I really need to have some set lists in writing, or else I'm going to forget and use that as an excuse to not bother trying. Also, do any of you know of ways of preventing yourself from using food as a method of comfort during anger and depression? I know that that accounts for most of my overeating.
First, are you cleared with a doctor to exercise?
I don't have any specific routines, mostly because for "getting your act together" anything will do, but I would say look for full-body exercises and avoid junk like biceps curls with cans of beans. So things like pushups (from the knees), squatting, step ups, picking things up from the floor (deadlift in exercise terms)- stuff you need to do in life anyway.

For the food issues, I think the only fix to to deal with the anger and depression. However as a temporary thing, might keeping a food diary help, as it holds you accountable?
Old 01 October 2012, 11:43 AM

One of my baby steps to dealing with comfort eating was to have some really good, pre-prepared foods for those times - so a ziploc of carrot sticks or a pack of plain rice crackers with some really good hummus or cheese, a ripe mango, fresh fruit ready to dip into a tiny tub of chocolate sauce. Not particularly low fat, just lowER fat, less empty calories than the packet of tim tams or crisps I'd otherwise have eaten.
I found it helpful to have something crunchy, and requiring plenty of hand to mouth motion, small pieces, eg, a bunch of grapes takes as much elbowing as a packet of biscuits, so my monkey brain thinks I'm full sooner.

Sometimes, I'd be craving crisps, and eat 16 other things trying to pacify the craving. I've learned to stop and ask myself what I really want to eat, and then serve myself a sensible amount of whatever it is.
Little rules like, never eating directly from the packet (or standing in the pantry) help, too. If I can 'logically' put a chocolate biscuit and a piece of cake on a plate, my logical mind can look at it and know that's more than enough, where I can feed my face for quite some time while reading and dipping into the cookie jar.

For me, it was important to break away from thinking in terms of 'bad' food - generally, food is neutral, in that a little bit of anything is going to do no major harm. But the moment I say 'no more cake' I get fixated on it. So I know I can have a piece of cake, if that's what I really want. But no more mindless eating.

Mileage will obviously vary.

And, typing all that out, I realize I've not been doing that at all.

Good news, I've been approached by a local weightloss/fitness company who are offering me to do their 12 session program for free, so I can recommend it to brides for pre-wedding toning. It's a couple hundred dollars worth, and if it works, I'll be delighted.
I'm planning on getting some neutral (same clothes/pose/lighting) before and after photos taken, as well as tracking weight and measurements.
Apparently it's common to lose 20+ cm total (in differnt areas added together) so ... Nothing (or plenty) to lose, right?!