snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 20 June 2012, 10:00 PM

Icon19 Exercise and weight control

Thought it might be worth restarting this as there's been a few questions lately, and also I cannot resist a little LAM!

I just ran a 5k (despite jetlag - only got back from Alaska Tuesday morning)
and not only ran non stop the whole 3.1 miles (which I have never managed before, even when training)
in 32 mins, but did it without any specific training (one random run about last week, before that a mile over a month ago)
just a bunch of hiking, 5 -aside football games and weight lifting.

Am I awesome? Yes I am
Old 20 June 2012, 10:56 PM

Nice one, compass! Yes, you are awesome
I'm in a similar situation. Yesterday I signed up for my first real 5k for this coming Saturday. So far in my life, I've only twice completed a 5k running non-stop: once the weekend before last (32 mins), and once last weekend (29.5 mins). I tried again yesterday, set off too quickly (first mile in about 8:30), and didn't manage it without walking. I still did 31.5 minutes though.
For the real 5k, I am running with a girl who usually runs about 30 mins for her 5k, so hopefully she can pace me.

Last edited by stalker; 20 June 2012 at 11:03 PM.
Old 01 July 2012, 07:29 AM

Australia

Goal. 30 kilos lost in 13 and a half months (66 pounds).

Well done me.

Dropbear
Old 01 July 2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropbear View Post
Goal.
Well done you.
Old 01 July 2012, 01:54 PM

I am starting the Couch to 5K program. I signed up with Sparkpeople to track everything, and this time I did not sign up with weight loss as my goal, but simply improving my fitness and health. Focusing on weight loss has never worked for me.

I am inspired by Ernestine Shepherd, who says she started her fitness program when she was just a bit younger than I am now. I don't expect to do any serious bodybuilding or look good in a bikini at 75, but I think I can at least get off the blood pressure meds and hold off the inevitable diabetes(in the genes).

I also want to do Pooch to 5K with my Blue Heeler, as I am sure she will love it. It's going to be hard on my little dog, though. He cries as if his heart is broken whenever I take her somewhere and leave him behind. He is a little overweight(a pound, the vet says, which is a lot when you only weigh 15 pounds total), so I think maybe I will take her out in the morning, and then take him alone in the evening for a walk.

Well done compass, stalker and Dropbear! I hope to post some accomplishments on here in the future.

Last edited by wanderwoman; 01 July 2012 at 02:00 PM. Reason: To add links to everything
Old 01 July 2012, 02:27 PM

I need to get started. I need to drop some pounds, and like wanderwoman I'm facing the genetic diabetes sword of Damocles. I'm older now, I think, than any of my three siblings were when they were diagnosed -- the youngest may have been about my age.

ETA: It would help if it weren't approaching 100 degrees. Of course I can walk on a treadmill, etc., but I know myself well enough to know that the exercise I'm most likely to get is walking (and maybe biking, once I get the bike up and running) outside.
Old 01 July 2012, 03:04 PM

I noticed about a month ago that my weight was starting to creep up after a couple heavy eating vacations (there's nothing like a week of wedding stuff in a remote location to do that to you) and raising my calorie intake before and immediately after my half marathon. We're only talking five pounds average, but it was enough that I was starting to feel it.

Last month I cut my fitness back to normal-ish levels (basically halved my running) and tightened up my eating a lot. The five pounds came off quickly and I made it back down to my previous maintenance weight. It was kind of nice to know that I can do that, since this is the first time I've actively tried to lose while still technically in a healthy BMI range. I'm going to keep up with what I've been doing for the rest of July to see if I can drop a little bit more (it's that stubborn belly that just won't go away) and get to an ideal running weight for me.

I have a second HM in October, and then I start training for my first full marathon for next spring. That's going to make the nutrition planning interesting

It's weird - I spent years unable to move my weight in either direction, no matter how hard I tried. I'd clean up my diet and start exercising, or I'd have a month of eating like a garbage disposal and not moving from my chair, but I'd stay at exactly the same spot. Honestly, with how bad my eating habits were in the couple years before I lost weight, I probably should have been a lot more than 50 pounds overweight.

When I set out to lose last time, I expected it to work about as well as it had in the past. Somehow, something just clicked - I'm not talking about mentally (although it did there too), but for some reason the normal process just started working in my body. I think it's related to sleep and blood sugar, since those were the two outside factors I had under better control by that point. Three years ago, I never would have believed that I'd be the type of person who could plug some numbers into a calculator, figure out how much to eat and to burn per week, and then lose weight exactly on schedule by sticking to those numbers.
Old 01 July 2012, 03:11 PM

Down 70 pounds in 18 months--gone from size 20 jeans down to 10s and 12. I was diagnosed with 'prediabetes'--like being told you are a little bit pregnant, I think--and have been low-carbing since the dx.

I am working out, too--I have a 24 foot circular pool out back, and I use it as a treadmill. I walk in circles til I get a good whirlpool going, and then I walk against it. Last summer, I only walked--this summer, I am swimming both with and against the current. I aim for at least 20 minutes of hard breathing, but I usually do half an hour, and gentler swimming for 30 or 40 minutes more. I also garden, and if the weather prohibits both of those, I plug the iPod in and rock on with the housework.

I feel great, no trouble at all sticking to the low carb food. I did discover, to my dismay, that watermelon is one of the things that I need to NOT have in the house. It tastes too good when you are hot and dry, and it really has too much natural sugar to be good for me.
Old 12 August 2012, 02:44 PM

Police

Yesterday I ran my second real 5k. The Police and Fire Department run here in Vegas.

I ran the first one at the end of June, with my friend as a pacer, in 29:30. Since then, I've been on a 6 week 5k intermediate training plan (posting all my training runs to runkeeper and sharing with Twitter and Facebook. Probably pissing most of my friends off, but getting support and encouragement from a lot of them too It's been really helpful for motivation!). I've also purchased a Timex Ironman GPS training watch, so now use that as a pacer instead of my friends.

I'd set a goal for yesterday's run of 27:00, and I totally exceeded my expectations! Finished 30th overall, 4th in my age group, in 26:24. That's averaging 8:31 per mile, which is the same pace that killed me after 1 mile before I started my real training!

I'm now setting my sights on the Zombie Run in Las Vegas on 28th October. My goal for that will probably be 25 minutes, although, throughout the race there are Zombies trying to infect you, so it may not really be a possibility!

/LAM
Old 12 August 2012, 03:24 PM

My plan post-partum was to try to get back to my pre pregnancy numbers at the gym and then start weight lifting. I came out ahead in weight but tone is nonexistent.

With all the stress related to my father's illness I'd stopped going to the gym. I made it twice last week and that significantly helped my mood. My priorities when I go to the gym are my core and legs. I started doing intervals on the elliptical and that made a big difference.

The gym was really crowded last Monday. I wonder if people have been inspired by the Olympics.
Old 12 August 2012, 03:44 PM

I've been restricting my intake of carbs and fats and trying to get some exercise in every day. Having a dog who wants to drag me for at least a 2 mile walk at Full Dog Speed every day (and who acts pitiful all day if we can't go for some reason) is helping with that! I'm also trying to get in some yoga and/or strength work each day, and maybe some extra cardio if I feel up to it. I haven't noticed a difference in myself yet, but it hasn't even been a week.

I have noticed that the dog's strength has improved a lot. He was really weak and had very poor muscle tone in his hind legs when we adopted him, but now he can pull on a leash with the best of them and his legs seem a lot stronger. So at least the walks are helping him!
Old 12 August 2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minstrel View Post
Having a dog who wants to drag me for at least a 2 mile walk at Full Dog Speed every day (and who acts pitiful all day if we can't go for some reason) is helping with that!
Throw in some stops for sniffing and getting pets from passersby and you've got interval training.

ETA: I bought a pedometer. I'm hoping that tracking my miles on dedicated walks, and my steps during the day, will help motivate me.

Last edited by Lainie; 12 August 2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old 13 August 2012, 01:55 PM

He's a dog and a personal trainer!
Old 13 August 2012, 02:08 PM

Ooo, and the pulling is resistance work!
Old 17 August 2012, 05:28 AM

Back on WW tomorrow. And tonight I started an upper body regime.

ETA: I am going to try to approach this from an "I am going to be so awesome" rather than "I really suck for letting myself go" standpoint. Maybe that will help.
Old 17 August 2012, 12:27 PM

I'm getting inconsistent results from my pedometer.

A couple of nights ago I walked my usual route, and the pedometer showed 0.8 miles. This sounded about right based on what I'd gotten from MapMyWalk.

Last night I walked the same route, but added a loop around our apartment's dog park, hoping to crack a mile. The pedometer showed .78 miles.

Same starting and ending points both times. Is this a problem with my stride, or do I have a crappy pedometer?
Old 17 August 2012, 01:45 PM

Cheer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurquoiseGirl View Post
ETA: I am going to try to approach this from an "I am going to be so awesome" rather than "I really suck for letting myself go" standpoint. Maybe that will help.
You are awesome! You're going to be awesome-er!
Old 17 August 2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I'm getting inconsistent results from my pedometer.

A couple of nights ago I walked my usual route, and the pedometer showed 0.8 miles. This sounded about right based on what I'd gotten from MapMyWalk.

Last night I walked the same route, but added a loop around our apartment's dog park, hoping to crack a mile. The pedometer showed .78 miles.

Same starting and ending points both times. Is this a problem with my stride, or do I have a crappy pedometer?
I have experienced similar things. I think some of this is pedometer dependent. I noticed stuff like my pedometer gives different readings depending on what pants I am wearing or where I have it placed on said pants. Or what shoes I am wearing. Also pavement/sidewalk sometimes registers differently from grass or dirt.

It is very discouraging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spam & Cookies-mmm View Post
You are awesome! You're going to be awesome-er!
Thank you! You just totally made my day!
Old 17 August 2012, 02:18 PM

I wear the same pants and shoes and put the pedometer in the same place every time. And since it's the same route, there aren't any differences in the walking surface, either.

It's a $10 pedometer. Maybe I'm getting what I pay for. Maybe I should just use it a work to measure steps, and use MapMyWalk or my car's trip odometer to plot my walks.
Old 17 August 2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Maybe I'm getting what I pay for.
Noo! That's against my religion!