snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Language

Old 27 May 2007, 03:17 AM
Zakor

Your theory is interesting, and obviously very well researched. How does your fact about the metal being worked with on two separate continents (and citing two different research corpora) bear on the fact that Canadian English uses aluminium while the US uses aluminum given that the export of English from the Old World happened before the invention of our AL substance?
Old 27 May 2007, 03:21 AM

Theme Icon

The Wikipedia entry for aluminium has a whole section on spelling, with citations.
Old 27 May 2007, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakor View Post
Your theory is interesting, and obviously very well researched. How does your fact about the metal being worked with on two separate continents (and citing two different research corpora) bear on the fact that Canadian English uses aluminium while the US uses aluminum given that the export of English from the Old World happened before the invention of our AL substance?
Sorry Zakor, not, as it turned out, very well researched at all. I have to retract that theory for the reasons mentioned in my twice edited ETA and also mentioned in the Wikipedia article: Aluminium was the preferred spelling in the US until long after the process and the metal became cheap and common. Apparently Hall changed his spelling later on, as described in the Wiki.
Old 27 May 2007, 01:35 PM

Quote:
I've never heard it called "aluminium" in Canada, except by people who can't pronounce "aluminum" and stumble over it, although in that case it usually comes out "alunium".
Old 27 May 2007, 05:29 PM
Rehcsif

I've never understood the bickering and one-upmanship surrounding US vs. British pronounciations and spellings.

The simple point is, it doesn't matter how the difference became about -- whether it was a natural divergence, a corporate cover-up consiracy, or whatever. The fact is, we now have two different dialects of the word (and many other words) and having parties debate which one is the "truly correct" one is moot.

-Tim
Old 27 May 2007, 09:52 PM
Zakor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehcsif View Post
I've never understood the bickering and one-upmanship surrounding US vs. British pronounciations and spellings.

The simple point is, it doesn't matter how the difference became about -- whether it was a natural divergence, a corporate cover-up consiracy, or whatever. The fact is, we now have two different dialects of the word (and many other words) and having parties debate which one is the "truly correct" one is moot.
I'm not debating correctness (as I work in descriptive not prescriptive linguistics) ...and being a professional linguist, I have an interest in the origin. Please accept my apologies in advance.
Old 28 May 2007, 06:42 AM
Rehcsif

Quote:
I'm not debating correctness (as I work in descriptive not prescriptive linguistics) ...and being a professional linguist, I have an interest in the origin. Please accept my apologies in advance.
That wasn't directed at you or anyone else in this thread. I just see a lot of said bickering, and that seems to be the basis of the OP (if the American spelling was really a mistake all along, that just proves how superior the Brits are, right? RIGHT??)

I dabble in editing Wikipedia, and across-the-pond language varients always cause edit wars...

-Tim
Old 29 May 2007, 01:44 AM
liebeslied

You can call it "Al."

DOO doot doot doot, DOO doot doot DOOT!
Old 02 February 2012, 05:48 AM

United Kingdom Aluminum

Comment: I hear this quoted as fact a lot - the variation in spelling between
aluminium (UK) & aluminum (US) occured when the patent filled out in the
US had the name of the metal spelled incorrectly.
Old 02 February 2012, 07:15 AM

How can a chemical element, naturally occuring (though not in pure form), be patented?

Perhaps it's true that the US patent system has so low standards that you can get a patent for a rock...
Old 02 February 2012, 08:41 AM

Icon07

Oh, I had a whole bunch of references on this whole difference but can't find them!

But the important point is that both spellings were used when the word entered the language (in addition to the less-common "alumium" in some texts), before they eventually settled in their respective standardized forms. (Texts of the early 19th century usually listed both spellings before using one or the other.) The OP story is patently false.
Old 02 February 2012, 09:56 AM

I am sure we had a thread on this a couple of years ago. I think we found references that the British scientist (name?) who first discovered it spelt it in three different ways. One is now obsolete, one became the British spelling (and pronunciation) and the other the American spelling.

Sorry, to be so vague. I will have to do some research.

ETA: Just been delving and I came up with this page. I am not sure how accurate it is,. but it chimes with what I remember about the thread we had:

http://www.worldwidewords.org/articles/aluminium.htm

Quote:
Sir Humphry [Davy] made a bit of a mess of naming this new element, at first spelling it alumium (this was in 1807) then changing it to aluminum, and finally settling on aluminium in 1812.
The piece goes on to say that aluminium was used in the UK from then on (it fitted in with the spellings of other metallic elements). In the USA it appears both forms of spelling were used (with the British spelling just being the more common) until after 1900 when the American spelling seems to have taken over.

Last edited by Andrew of Ware; 02 February 2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02 February 2012, 10:11 AM

Jumping off here....

Is it "herbs" or " 'erbs" that you use to season a dish?
Old 02 February 2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew of Ware View Post
The piece goes on to say that aluminium was used in the UK from then on (it fitted in with the spellings of other metallic elements).
Platinum and Molybdenum also mess up the rule. Most of the elements ending in UM end in IUM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friends of Alfred View Post
Jumping off here....

Is it "herbs" or " 'erbs" that you use to season a dish?
Herbs. Unless you would pronounce your friend Herb's name without the "H", in whick case you may be Cockney.

How should one pronounce "Jojoba" and "Potpourri"?
Old 02 February 2012, 12:09 PM

Baseball

For me, in herb the 'h' is silent. 'erb, if you will.

For me, potpourri has a long 'o' and a silent 't'. POH-porri, if you will.

For me, jojoba is has the 'j' pronounced as an aspirated 'h'. HO-ho-ba, if you will.

Old 02 February 2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
How should one pronounce "Jojoba" and "Potpourri"?
If you're posh (or poe-shh) it approximates as hoe-hoe-ba & poe-poor-ee
From the non-posh elements I've heard joe-joe-ba & pot-pour-ee, but I try not to mix with such people too often

And dropping aitches is a sign of being terribly common and well below the salt.
Old 02 February 2012, 12:18 PM

Cowboy

Aren't they haitches then?
Old 02 February 2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
Platinum and Molybdenum also mess up the rule. Most of the elements ending in UM end in IUM.
And lanthanum.
Old 02 February 2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
Aren't they haitches then?
That would depend on how high you lift the little finger from the handle of the bone china teacup and whether your butler can afford a butler of his own
Old 02 February 2012, 01:55 PM

IME, North American English speakers pronounce "herbs" with a silent h.