snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 07 August 2008, 08:20 AM
A Guy Named Goo

D'oh! Ruby Tuesday Demolition Mix-Up?

http://www.snopes.com/photos/adverti...ubytuesday.asp

Supposedly, this video shows Ruby Tuesday attempting to demolish one of their own closed restaurants in Mount Holly, OH, and instead accidentally blowing up the other restaurant, "Cheeky's", next door. If this is a fake, it's a convincing one with the open windows accidentally in the way at the beginning.

However, things start to unravel a bit if you dig deeper: Cheeky's has a website that is currently a shell of the frontpage, claiming it's closed and asking for people who witnessed the incident to come forward, and a link to the video above. But if you use Google cache or Wayback Machine, there are no hits for that URL.

Ruby Tuesday's website has replaced the frontpage with an apology to Cheeky's, that makes sure it notes the intention of blowing up the restaurant in the first place, and links to a commercial (that I just saw on TV) of a man reading the apology, sounding very somber and serious.

But if such a colossal mix-up really did happen, and so recently, where's the news coverage of it? Not a single major news source pulled up any information on the incident. So, having searched the forum (and come up empty, but if I have been chow'd, you don't need my permission to to chow me) as well as another hoax forum and come up empty, I'm tossing this to the Snopesters: very elaborate and bizarre hoax/viral ad campaign, or real incident? Maybe some Snopesters in Ohio know more about this than my searches have let on, too.
Old 07 August 2008, 08:34 AM

Here's a news article that states it's viral marketing. It would be all over the news, national and local, if this really happened. Seeing there are no references to "Cheeky's" until this in yellow pages or review sites, it's pretty obvious it's a hoax. Plus, I don't think Ruby Tuesday demoed any of their buildings for the switchover, just redecorated awnings and the interiors.
Old 07 August 2008, 08:37 AM

Australia

Not to mention that demolishing a building doesn't just involve pressing a button to make it go "BOOM". A demo crew would've needed full access to the building and I'm pretty sure the staff/manager of Cheeky's might've said something about it prior to the explosion.

I'm enjoying reading the number of people claiming "This is totally true, I saw it on teh news!". I can't wait for the point where the viral campaign is revealed and I get to laugh at them all over again.
Old 07 August 2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Not to mention that demolishing a building doesn't just involve pressing a button to make it go "BOOM". A demo crew would've needed full access to the building and I'm pretty sure the staff/manager of Cheeky's might've said something about it prior to the explosion.
Exactly. It's not just tossing a stick of dynamite in the front door and run, it takes weeks to set up a demolition. The problem isn't so much to destroy the building, it's how to do it without destroying the neighbourhood, and that requires precision application of explosives to knock out load bearing supports at the right time and in the right order.
Old 07 August 2008, 03:10 PM

Neener, Neener fake, fake, fake

I say this is marketing ploy.

1. Mount Holly is so small it's unincorpated.

2. A Google search for "Mount Holly Ohio restaurants" brings up only 10 eateries, mostly cafes, a Subway and Domino's. Not even a McDonald''s.

3. Why would a national chain like Cheeky's Bar and Grill (if it does exist) have a restaurant in such a small, out-of-the-way place?

4. The only Google reference to Cheeky's brings up a questionable Web site that asks you to e-mail them if you saw the commercial. No listing of menus or other information. Even if they closed down the Web site (just because one little restaurant was demoed?), wouldn't you be able to see options like these?

I vote fraud. Viral marketing. Whatever you want to call it.
Old 07 August 2008, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troberg View Post
Exactly. It's not just tossing a stick of dynamite in the front door and run, it takes weeks to set up a demolition. The problem isn't so much to destroy the building, it's how to do it without destroying the neighbourhood, and that requires precision application of explosives to knock out load bearing supports at the right time and in the right order.
Not to mention the permits involved and any city ordinances that have to be followed. The address would have been double, tripled, quadrupule checked waay before any explosives were brought to the building.
Old 07 August 2008, 04:49 PM

Wolf

I find it interesting that "Cheeky's" looks alot like Chilli's.
Old 07 August 2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonWolf View Post
I find it interesting that "Cheeky's" looks alot like Chilli's.
I thought the "Cheeky's" logo was meant to reference the Applebee's logo. I believe it's the same color scheme.

It would have been really funny if they'd called it Shennaniganz or Tchotchke's... but maybe too obvious.
Old 07 August 2008, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDan View Post
Here's a news article that states it's viral marketing.

Indeed it is viral marketing. The whole idea is that the demo guys "accidentally" blew up the wrong restaurant to save the Ruby Tuesday. As it has been said before, demolition is not just trying in a stick of TNT and pressing a button. Demolition is a very controlled process and requires incredible amounts of setup and the necessary setup. They are also expensive since you have to re-build. A restaurant would have to be in terrible shape (ie the building being condemned - hard that a restaurant like Ruby Tuesday to let that happen) to justify the expense of demoing and re-building. Its far cheaper to close for 2 months (usually a partial close) and remodel the interior and make it look different and re-open.

The likliehood of anybody demoing a pre-existing stucture for a remodel is incredibly rare - even more so for a franchise joint. It makes about as much sense as McDonalds leveling a former Burger King that closed down and was purchsed by the former.

Thant and the ammount of news if this were for real makes it a clear attempt to go viral.

did "who happens to work for a company that does comercial real estate and construction" dy
Old 07 August 2008, 05:27 PM

So the whole point is that Ruby Tuesday is now completely different from Chilapplefricheddarrobin's? Meh. Doubt it. How are they gonna' differentiate themselves? I know, go the Bennigan's route, have lots of onions in everything and say it makes you an Irish pub! That seems to be a winning strategy!
Old 07 August 2008, 06:02 PM

Ponder

Quote:
As it has been said before, demolition is not just trying in a stick of TNT and pressing a button. Demolition is a very controlled process and requires incredible amounts of setup and the necessary setup.
And is it typical to use explosives to demolish such a small, one-story building? I'd think they'd just use ordinary heavy equipment in this case.

- snopes
Old 07 August 2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post

The likliehood of anybody demoing a pre-existing stucture for a remodel is incredibly rare - even more so for a franchise joint. It makes about as much sense as McDonalds leveling a former Burger King that closed down and was purchsed by the former.
I have actually seen that exact thing happen, though. Down the road from me there is a Steak and Shake that got torn down. I was rather sad to see it go, since I do occasionally like their food (at least, I do if you stick enough patties on to make a decent hamburger.) I was very surprised to see that the next month they were constructing a new Steak and Shake on the same site.
Old 07 August 2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
And is it typical to use explosives to demolish such a small, one-story building? I'd think they'd just use ordinary heavy equipment in this case.

- snopes
Typically a small building like that would be demolished by heavy equipment. Its just easier to do it that way since getting the approval for explosives is probably a pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminilee View Post
I have actually seen that exact thing happen, though. Down the road from me there is a Steak and Shake that got torn down. I was rather sad to see it go, since I do occasionally like their food (at least, I do if you stick enough patties on to make a decent hamburger.) I was very surprised to see that the next month they were constructing a new Steak and Shake on the same site.
That's why I said it was rare. Sometimes the prior infrastructure is just too old or otherwise incapable of meeting the current needs of the company.
Old 14 August 2008, 07:50 PM
mindiloohoo

In Illinois, I can think of at least 4 McDonalds that they did completely destroy in order to remodel, then rebuilt them.

In Aurora, at Rt. 59 and a mall entrance (near New York Street)
In Wheaton, at Roosevelt Rd and County Farm Rd.
In Naperville at 75th St. and Naper Blvd.
In Hinsdale (not sure which town exactly to be honest, but I passed it during my commute) at 75th St. and Plainfield Rd.

So it does happen. These buildings were torn down so they could essentially re-format the drive through and add some extra areas for a coffee bar and stuff. We're near McD's corporate headquarters (Oak Brook, IL), so maybe they were trying out a new format?
Old 14 August 2008, 10:04 PM

They also knocked down two McDonald's I saw, one near Philly and one in central Jersey. The one in central Jersey had a huge three story indoor playplace they destroyed.
Old 15 August 2008, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindiloohoo View Post
In Illinois, I can think of at least 4 McDonalds that they did completely destroy in order to remodel, then rebuilt them.

In Aurora, at Rt. 59 and a mall entrance (near New York Street)
In Wheaton, at Roosevelt Rd and County Farm Rd.
In Naperville at 75th St. and Naper Blvd.
In Hinsdale (not sure which town exactly to be honest, but I passed it during my commute) at 75th St. and Plainfield Rd.

So it does happen. These buildings were torn down so they could essentially re-format the drive through and add some extra areas for a coffee bar and stuff. We're near McD's corporate headquarters (Oak Brook, IL), so maybe they were trying out a new format?
You forgot about the rock and roll McDonalds in Chicago, which was demo'd and re-opened in '05. Personally, I liked the old building, which was one of the old style McDonald's style, which suited the rock and roll memorabilia better than the new building.

-RB