snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Glurge Gallery

Old 22 January 2008, 02:06 PM

Default Hot Chocolate

This one was new to me. If it's been posted before, just ignore me.

Enjoy Your Hot Chocolate

A group of graduates, well established in their careers, were talking at a reunion and decided to go visit their old university professor, now retired. During their visit, the conversation turned to complaints about stress in their work and lives. Offering his guests hot chocolate, the professor went into the kitchen and returned with a large pot of ho t chocolate and an assortment of cups - porcelain, glass, crystal, some plain looking, some expensive, some exquisite - telling them to help themselves to the hot chocolate.

When they all had a cup of hot chocolate in hand, the professor said: 'Notice that all the nice looking,expensive cups were taken, leaving behind the plain and cheap ones.While it is normal for you to want only the best for yourselves, that is the source of your problems and stress. The cup that you're drinking from adds nothing to the quality of the hot chocolate. In most cases it is just more expensive and in some cases even hides what we drink.What all of you really wanted was hot chocolate, not the cup; but you consciously went for the best cups ... And then you began eyeing each other's cups.

Now consider this: Life is the hot chocolate; your job, money and position in society are the cups.They are just tools to hold and contain life. The cup you have does not define, nor change the quality of life you have.Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the hot chocolate provided for us.God makes the hot chocolate, man chooses the cups.

The happiest people don't have the best of everything.They just make the best of everything that they have.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
And enjoy your hot chocolate!
Old 22 January 2008, 02:18 PM

Spit Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfwchick View Post
This one was new to me. If it's been posted before, just ignore me.

Coffee instaed of hot chocolate -a-chow
Old 22 January 2008, 02:20 PM

Pfeh, I would have picked the cup that was the greenest, regardless of whether it was cheap or expensive looking.
Old 22 January 2008, 03:04 PM

I would have taken the largest- which would probably have been the plain white mug from Crate and Barrel, or one of those oversized mugs that is really a bowl with a handle. Those fancy tea cups are tiny.

So what does that say about me?
Old 22 January 2008, 03:13 PM

Icon23

Quote:
Originally Posted by queen of the caramels View Post
I'm waiting for the beer and whiskey versions myself.
Old 22 January 2008, 03:38 PM

I would've politely declined the hot chocolate as its sugar content would wreak havoc on my system, and requested a glass of water -- in a leaded crystal goblet by Tiffany.
Old 22 January 2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namowal View Post
I'm waiting for the beer and whiskey versions myself.
A group of graduates, well established in their careers, were talking at a reunion and decided to go visit their old university professor, now retired. During their visit, the conversation turned to complaints about stress in their work and lives. Offering his guests whiskey and beer, the professor went into the kitchen and returned with a large bottle of whiskey and a case of Budweiser. Being old friends, no shot glasses were necessary, as each member of the group simply took swigs out of the bottle, and chased it with their own individual can of beer.

When they all had a can of beer in hand, the professor said: 'Notice that all the booze was taken, leaving behind this pile of empty cans, and this empty bottle. While it is normal for you to want other people's booze for yourselves, that is the source of your problems and stress. The can that you're drinking from adds nothing to the quality of the beer. In most cases it is just a convenient way to keep our beer cold and in some cases even hides what we drink. What all of you really wanted was whiskey, not the beer; but you consciously went for the beer, because you sucked down all the whiskey first... And then you began eyeing each other's cans.

Now consider this: Life is the whiskey; your job, money and position in society are the cans.They are just tools to hold and contain life. The can you have does not define, nor change the quality of life you have.Sometimes, by concentrating only on the can, we fail to enjoy the beer provided for us.God makes the beer, man chooses the cans.

And with that, they all proceeded to sing their alma mater, but didn't make it through the first verse as they all happily passed out on their professor's floor.

The happiest people don't have the best of everything.They just make the best of everything that they have.