snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 11 September 2017, 05:50 PM

We live just outside of Atlanta and are under a tropical storm warning. We have 40 mph wind, gusting into the 50s, and intermittent heavy rain. Tree branches have blown off and smacked the house. Some Atlanta streets downtown are closed for flooding and debris falling from high rises. We've heard booms of transformers going and have had three short power outages, but we are okay.
Old 11 September 2017, 06:04 PM

Something that has been unclear in some articles and posts is who is being told to evacuate. Even when the storm was much stronger, my family was never in an evacuation zone, and so never under even a voluntary evacuation order.

Lots of people choose to get out if they can, but evacuation zones are preset areas, usually based on potential to flood from a certain level of storm surge. So, they are typically coastal areas and areas close to rivers that are affected by storm surge. People in mobile homes and RVs are required to evacuate if any zone is told to evacuate. My family doesn't live in areas fitting those descriptions, so they are not in evacuation zones at all.

As far as I could tell from a quick look, Jacksonville has mandatory and voluntary evacuations for certain zones (and MH and RV residents) but residents in general are not being urged to flee. If people have seen official statements to the contrary, I'd be interested in seeing them. It seems like there have been mixed or incomplete messages from media and officials about evacuation.
Old 11 September 2017, 06:13 PM

Apparently, my dad's cousin's family's house is in the storm's path, but they're currently up in their summer home in Maine.
Old 11 September 2017, 06:24 PM

By the way, last night when the eye was over north Tampa, with the intensity recorded as a 1, I took a screen shot of a news graphic that showed wave heights in the Gulf and Atlantic. In the Atlantic in the area of Daytona Beach, waves were 26 feet. 22 feet near Jacksonville. On the Gulf side, waves were 16 feet from around Sarasota to around Ft. Myers. The entire coastline had lesser, but still unusually high waves as you move away from those peak areas.

I wish I had seen that graphic with info from when the storm was still a 4 or 5.
Old 12 September 2017, 12:41 AM

The worst has passed now. Our yard is a mess, and we've had one tree down on the privacy fence (meaning that until I repair it we have to walk the dogs instead of letting them out into the big back yard). We were without power for a major part of today. I can't tell from a ground inspection if we've lost any shingles, but there's all sorts of junk in our front yard--the contents of a garbage bin, a metal toolbox, flower pots that don't belong to us, and lots of tree branches and twigs. We had a good deal of rain and truly scary wind blasts, up to 65 mph according to a neighbor who has an anemometer. His rain gauge was blown away, though.
Old 12 September 2017, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post

As far as I could tell from a quick look, Jacksonville has mandatory and voluntary evacuations for certain zones (and MH and RV residents) but residents in general are not being urged to flee. If people have seen official statements to the contrary, I'd be interested in seeing them. It seems like there have been mixed or incomplete messages from media and officials about evacuation.
Clay County, the next county south of Duval on the west side of the St. Johns River, did have some mandatory evacuations for some flood prone areas, although I am not sure if there were any house checks to make sure people moved out. We are about one block from one of the declared zones, with our location being a few feet higher and further back from Doctors Lake, and as far as I can tell none of us in the neighborhood left.
Old 12 September 2017, 07:55 PM

We have power now after losing it on Sunday afternoon. Not much damage here. Trees down, that sort of thing. No flooding.

Had some issues with relatives prior to the storm that might actually have changed relationships. Fear mongering, misinformation and just plain asshatery.

We were never expected to have 140 MPH winds. We were never expected to have a fifteen foot storm surge. Yet this was the info they screamed at my mother in law and wife over the phone who went from calmly discussing options to shaking and crying in a matter of minutes which ended in them making a regretful decision. they are both safe, but had a horrible experience that they never want to go through again.

My advice to anyone in the path of a storm, or with relatives in the path of a storm: DO NOT WATCH THE WEATHER CHANNEL OR NETWORK NEWS! Local stations will give you information that is relevant and reliable. When we lost power my only connection to what was going on was my son in Atlanta. He was streaming Tampa stations and kept me updated hourly. The phone went off and was only turned on at the hour for texts and calls. The info he relayed was useful, pertinent and calm. He did not even tell me how worried he was until after there was absolutely no need for worry. He was my strength through this ordeal.
Old 12 September 2017, 09:10 PM

Glad to see people checking in that they're OK; or at least mostly OK.
Old 13 September 2017, 02:36 PM

Same here TL. We're predicted to get Irma's leftovers by tomorrow.
Old 13 September 2017, 02:53 PM

So are we; but said leftovers are supposed to amount to maybe half an inch of rain (or maybe not even that), and light winds; with possible exceptions if there's a thunderstorm, but we get thunderstorms around here anyway even when there are no hurricanes involved.

Sometimes there's more than that left of a hurricane by the time it gets here; but the worst of it is always worn off. An out-of-season storm once landed two feet of snow on us; but even that one was considerably worse elsewhere.
Old 13 September 2017, 11:08 PM

I now have reliable internet and phone service for the first time since Saturday. The power is still out at my work though.

Most of the damage in my area was to trees and fences. We may have had a mini-tornado come down the street, based on the localized severity of damages. No flooding issues. Half the town is still without power and phones. Schools and government offices are still closed, as are many businesses. I just got internet back at my house today.
Old 14 September 2017, 02:07 AM

Our daughter and son in law are still without power. Daughter and granddaughter are staying with us tonight for air conditioning, a hot meal, and showers. Son in law stayed home to take care of their imperfectly socialized dog, but if they still have no electricity tomorrow night, his mom says she can harbor the dog and the humans can shelter with us.