snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Closed Thread

Old 05 September 2017, 07:12 PM

They do.

Also, the list of names to be used by year.

Dawn does not appear on either list. The name "Don" will be used again in 2023.
Old 06 September 2017, 06:41 PM

Neener, Neener

I'll have to tell DH that there has never been a hurricane named after me, for all that my Snopes handle is DawnStorm.

Apparently there's never been a Hurricane Mark either (DH's name) but Marco is on the list for 2020 IIRC. Close enough.
Old 09 September 2017, 08:03 AM

Donna is one of the retired names. Interesting that both Diane and Diana are retired.

I wonder if they already have the replacement names for Harvey and Irma. Both will be retired after this year.
Old 09 September 2017, 02:59 PM

This discussion has reminded me of when my Aunt and Uncle arrived for a holiday in one of the Pacific nations I can't remember which one but let's say Fiji to give it a name. Well they arrived just after a hurricane that shared a name with my uncle had gone through the place. They were basically cleaning up the cabins as the guest arrived. My uncle said he seriously considered changing his name. At least for the duration of the stay.
Old 09 September 2017, 11:21 PM

I'm planning on making some gumbo tonight. I have some raw andouille sausage that I got from a local butcher shop. Should I brown it before I add it to the gumbo or throw it in there and let it cook in the gumbo? All the previous times I've made soups with sausage in it I used sausages that were precooked, but I don't know if it actually needs to be cooked first.
Old 09 September 2017, 11:33 PM

Brown it. Otherwise your gumbo will be oilier.
Old 10 September 2017, 02:14 AM

Mouse

Here's one of those weird questions that came out of nowhere: Has there every been a novel published with the title "Novel?"
Old 10 September 2017, 08:39 AM

Michener wrote The Novel.
Old 10 September 2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Capacitrix View Post
I wonder if they already have the replacement names for Harvey and Irma. Both will be retired after this year.
It doesn't seem like it.

https://public.wmo.int/en/About-us/F...cyclone-naming
Quote:
The only time that there is a change in the list is if a storm is so deadly or costly that the future use of its name on a different storm would be inappropriate for reasons of sensitivity. If that occurs, then at an annual meeting by the WMO Tropical Cyclone Committees (called primarily to discuss many other issues) the offending name is stricken from the list and another name is selected to replace it.
Old 11 September 2017, 08:11 PM

Could anyone good with computers tell me why Windows is adding extra spaces between words? It happens in Word and in Chrome.

I think the VB software auto removes them so I'll replicate an example: Word _ adds _extra spaces between some words and not others.
Old 11 September 2017, 08:34 PM

Best guess for Word is that you have "distributed text" turned on (Ctrl-shift-J is the shortcut for it). That actually adds spaces in between words and letters if, I read it correctly. It certainly looks different than justified text does.
I think there are add ins for Chrome that do the same, so maybe that's it for both.
Old 11 September 2017, 09:55 PM

In Word if you have full line justification (ctrl-j) turned on it'll add spaces between words to fill up the line.
Old 12 September 2017, 12:00 AM

Could it be a hardware issue from your keyboard?

If you turn on show formatting marks, you should be able to tell if it is recorded as a single space, but formatted to be wider, or if there are multiple spaces there.

Justified text, or other formatting, should not record more than one space between the words if that is all that was entered. IOW, formatting will typically widen a space, not add spaces.
Old 12 September 2017, 08:55 PM

I'm thinking it's a hardware or driver error as the formatting marks shows up with two spaces .. even when the spacebar is carefully pressed to only make one space. And again, this occurs almost at random. I'm going to mess with the keyboard in the control panel and see if changing some settings fixes it.
Thanks, good ideas all around.
Old 20 September 2017, 07:45 PM

What would be the appropriate amount to tip people that deliver your groceries?

A local store started up ordering online and picking up from them a little bit ago, and have now expanded to delivery. When we picked up the food, they specifically would not take tips. Since they add a fee for delivery (something like $10-15), we assumed that we would still not tip. Last time they delivered, the driver told my wife that they do accept tips, but she had no cash on her to do so.

Should this be a set number, a percentage of what we ordered, based on bags, or does the delivery fee mean that we really shouldn't need to tip?
Old 21 September 2017, 06:18 AM

I know that there's a big can of worms here, with the discussion about the US tipping culture. I'm not going into that, but just offering my two cents:

When we are having food delivered (ready prepared food, like pizza), I usually round up to the next Euro and then add one Euro, so the tip ends up something between €1.10 and €1.90. Generally, this is regardless of the amount we ordered for. If it is especially much, or if the driver has to fight adverse weather, I might add another Euro, but that's on a case by case basis with no set rules - a gut feeling, basically.
Old 21 September 2017, 09:04 AM

Pizza / fast food drivers are one of the few times I usually tip outside restaurants, too. (It's properly optional here - most of the drivers turn to go without expecting it, and I don't know the extent to which other people tip them). I tend to give 1.50 - 2, which is usually less than 10% of the order but probably still generous.

If I paid cash-on-delivery I'd probably do what Don Enrico does, but since I normally pay by card on-line when I order, I just find convenient coins instead.
Old 21 September 2017, 09:25 AM

Darth Credence, if you decide to tip, the number of bags might be a factor - like, a higher tip if the delivery person has to walk twice between their car and your door.
Old 23 September 2017, 08:19 AM

Due to a post on another thread.

If you buy grapes with seeds, do you normally spit out the seeds? Hubby and I just eat them, and I've never seen anyone spit out grape seeds here.

I think the first few years we were here there were almost no seedless grapes. Now approximately 1/3 are seedless. The seedless ones tend to be bland.
Old 23 September 2017, 10:23 AM

I don't crunch them, because they taste nasty... Ideally I'd spit them out if there was somewhere to put them, but I guess otherwise I'd just try to swallow them without crunching. I don't eat grapes much these days, and most of the ones here are seedless now anyway. (And have been for years).
Closed Thread