snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 07 January 2016, 02:24 PM

Glasses

I am 1/3 of my way to my weight goal and well settled into the routine.

Happiness comes from i) not gaining weight over the holidays, despite Vegas; 2) walking a minimum of 4.5 miles per day for over 6 months now; c) needing a belt to hold up my pants.

Seaboe
Old 07 January 2016, 03:22 PM

Happiness for me is coming from gaining weight over the holidays but getting back on track and shedding those extra pounds already. Yay me. I've realized my best weight loss strategy isn't dieting or exercising (although they help) it's not being afraid to get on the scale and face the music. In the past as soon as I knew I was gaining weight I'd avoid the scale as if not knowing my weight magically made it not be an issue. Until it became a big issue. My one resolution this year is to accept that the best way to take control of my weight is to know what I weigh!
Old 07 January 2016, 03:51 PM

I have been developing a mornign exercise routine, since my schedule currently does not allow for gym workouts. A few weeks ago I added lunges, and then I realized that I could improve them by dipping the rear knee almost to the floor. And then this morning I realized I was doing too much of the lift with the rear leg and I would get a more concentrated load on the front leg of each lunge if I stepped out a bit further, so that the rear leg is more of a guide and a balance, but not taking the exercise load. ZOMG, are my legs hurting now! (but it's just overworked muscle hurt, not damaged-tendon hurt, so it's good).
Old 13 August 2017, 05:04 AM

I hadn't weighed myself in about 2 months because I know I haven't been that strict about my diet lately and didn't want to know about it. I figured I'd probably put on some water weight but not so bad I couldn't get back on track. I always exercise, but calories are harder to be consistent about, and are the more important part of the equation.

But I was doing laundry and didn't have the right clothes, so I had to pick between jeans one size too small or one size too big. I decided to try the small ones, that I hadn't worn in forever, and found they were a little snug but wearable. Then I tried on a shirt I hadn't worn forever that hadn't quite fit as of a few months ago, and found that fit perfectly.

So I weighed myself and found I'd lost about 8 pounds in a period of time that I thought I wasn't doing so well. I'm within about 10 pounds of being the same weight as college and being able to wear the smallest of my clothes, which I almost threw out years ago.
Old 21 August 2017, 06:44 PM

Glasses

Congratulations, Errata. I fell off the wagon big time due to stress, and am finding it hard to get back on (since the stress is continuing).

Seaboe
Old 21 August 2017, 08:56 PM

Second the congratulations! I've managed to drop almost 50 lbs over the last few years and am within 20 lbs of my goal weight. I've gotten stuck though since about Christmas. I haven't lost anything but on the plus side haven't gained anything back either. Frankly that's a big win for me and I'll take it every day and twice on Sunday . Even if I can't motivate myself to get back on the diet at least I haven't fallen back into some unhealthy habits.
Old 24 August 2017, 10:55 PM

It's been a while since I properly "went for a run"- I think since May, although my fitness log is disappointingly cryptic. I was expecting to have a rough time, but I managed to complete a mile without having to stop or slow down, even when I got to the 3/4 marker where the water fountain is

I was really, really surprised by how not-horrible I felt. I've been so inconsistent about cardio I was really expecting today to go a lot worse.
Old 24 August 2017, 11:40 PM

Sue, you deserve a congratulations for that, too! Good for you!
Old 29 August 2017, 12:51 AM

Icon220

Thank you, LPP .

I've got a question for those of you who have taken off some weight - have you had any friends trying to minimize your efforts? By that I mean I've got two friends who, whenever me meet, they always seem to say something about my weight loss but it's never positive. One says things like how easy it must be for me to stick to a diet since I don't have kids around the house or because I work from home or because I don't like fried foods (uh, really?). The other keeps making snide little comments disguised as concern "I hear people usually gain it all back plus 10, I hope that doesn't happen to you".

I'm assuming at least some of this is the green eyed monster and I can understand how it must feel to want to lose weight and see a friend who used to be heavier now a few pounds lighter when you're still struggling. But honestly! If you can't be nice just don't say anything!
Old 29 August 2017, 02:08 PM

Glasses

"Just don't say anything" is always good advice when talking about someone else's weight. It's usually none of your business what they weigh. Even if (or especially if) it's an anorexic or bulimic person, and you're really worried, you talk about health and concern, not weight.

Seaboe
Old 29 August 2017, 02:27 PM

I don't think you should need to walk on eggshells where weight loss is concerned if you know someone well and know the weight loss is something they're happy about! In my case these are old friends who have all been on weight loss journeys either on their own or with me over the years . They know my weight loss was intentional so I'm not surprised that they would comment on it. What has surprised me is that they actually don't seem happy for me and seem resentful. It's not like we haven't all waxed and waned over the years! This is a new attitude and I'm not sure why.
Old 29 August 2017, 02:30 PM

I'd guess because you've made extremely significant progress* this time, rather than a smaller amount of progress.

* Yay you!
Old 29 August 2017, 03:48 PM

Default Running questions

I've started running more seriously this year, and I'm hoping that some Snopesters can answer my questions (even though it's not strictly weight-loss related).

I've heard of a running "season", base training, etc. How long should a season be? Is it calendar-based or a certain number of months, etc? In between seasons, should I be running to keep up a base, or stop?

I'm asking because I suspect I did more races closely together than I should, and I'm injured. I'm not sure how much I should be taking on, and how much I should be resting in between.

Should I stop running entirely when my races are over, and begin again in March? Or should I do some form of baseline running through the winter?
Old 29 August 2017, 05:44 PM

I am more into fitness than racing, but I recommend running year-round. It depends on what a training season schedule looks like for you- how much speed work and long distance.

You will get a lot of benefit if you do base-building in the "off season." Make the runs mostly aerobic pace. I would take a few weeks of all easy running in fact. During the off season otherwise, you can do some speed work, but I would limit it to a tempo run or speed work once a week, or even less frequently. For distance, have variety, with one or two longer runs each week, but limit the very long runs in the off season. YMMV on what you consider very long, but I mean double digit. If you were training for marathons, hold off on the 15-20 milers in the off season.

Short answer: Run year round but reduce the intensity, while still getting some variety into your schedule. A good base before you go into a more intense schedule will help prevent injuries.

All that said, hold off on any running until you are over this injury.
Old 29 August 2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
I'd guess because you've made extremely significant progress* this time, rather than a smaller amount of progress.

* Yay you!
Thanks . You know I think you could be right. I've lost weight pretty slowly and it really wasn't showing until recently. I finally reached a point though where my clothes weren't just a little loose they were getting baggy. I am by no means svelte but I am dressing a bit differently and I think that may have made it seem like I'm slimmer than I actually am. I guess as long as it was just me losing a few pounds it was no big deal but me looking like I've actually gone down a few sizes was more noticeable than they liked. I'd really like to believe, and actually do believe!, that I'd be happy for them. Oh well. Not going to pull a Trump and make enemies over this!!
Old 06 September 2017, 06:27 PM

Phantom since you mentioned being injured from racing too much (been there, done that) the rule of thumb I've been told for recovery after races is one day for every mile of race distance. Just what form that recovery takes is a bit subjective; if it's what you'd consider a shorter distance and you have a fairly strong base, it may simply mean sticking to easy runs for the next few days afterwards and using the race in place of your normal speed workout. Conversely, if it's something you'd consider a major race - something you wouldn't sign up for on a whim, something you would need to train specifically for - you may want to hold off on anything more strenuous than walking for at least some of that period. Also keep in mind that there's a difference between running in a race and actually racing. It is possible to run races close together, but you'll have to pick and choose which ones you push hard for and which you run easy.

In terms of more general advice, to what Dr. Dave has already said, I'll add that it's worth it to routinely give your legs a break at least once or twice a week. The training plans I follow have both built in rest and/or cross training days, short, easy runs following longer distances, and have a taper portion (decreased mileage, easier or no speed workouts) as race day approaches. These are just as important as any other part of the plan.

Last edited by Meka; 06 September 2017 at 06:41 PM.