snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 02 August 2017, 05:08 PM

Baseball

Funny you use innocuous. I was convinced it was the word innocent that had me thinking of the double 'n'.
Old 02 August 2017, 09:46 PM

Glasses

Today I learned why it's an incredibly bad idea to only have two people in a department who are admins for a particular database.

Seaboe
Old 03 August 2017, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
Funny you use innocuous. I was convinced it was the word innocent that had me thinking of the double 'n'.
It wasn't until I posted that I realized those words are related.... and I guess I thought of "innocuous" because of the hard C
Old 03 August 2017, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Today I learned why it's an incredibly bad idea to only have two people in a department who are admins for a particular database.

Seaboe
At my company there is only one person who can use all the functions of the invoice/payroll system, as in only one person who can print out invoices. It was really a bad time when she was out sick for two weeks, and we couldn't bill people. I'd warned management, but no action was taken to have her teach another person. Of course, when she got back management took no action to have her teach another person, so when she is out, we can't bill people.
Old 03 August 2017, 03:16 AM

Mouse

I learned that Gråtrunka is Swedish for masturbating while crying. And I'm left going, "Dammit! That's a word the English language needs!" And I thought only the German language had so many perfect idioms the English language needs.
Old 03 August 2017, 06:49 PM

Glasses

To go along with what I learned yesterday, today I learned that sometimes even very fast computer processes are too slow for what you need to do.

Seaboe
Old 18 August 2017, 01:37 PM

Thanks to YouTube, I learned that the classic Tootsie Pop "How Many Licks?" commercial has been dubbed into Spanish, French, Polish, and Chinese(Hong Kong).
Old 20 August 2017, 01:33 AM

Technically I learned it last week, but I learned that Iceland does not allow importation of horses. Not only that, but ones a horse leaves Iceland (like say to compete in an international riding competition) it can never return.
Old 20 August 2017, 01:34 AM

Heavt breathing

Breathing exercises are not completely useless. Still don't like them, though...
Old 02 September 2017, 06:48 PM

I learned that the BBC website publishes news in Pidgin as one of its languages when my friend posted this story on Facebook:

Why dem dey call Hurricane human being name

Quote:
Di biggest storm wey United States of America never see for 13 years don land for Texas.

Dis Hurricane Harvey don scatter plenty houses and tori say e even don kill five people.

Hurricane Matthew wey bin happen for 2016 kill plenty people and scatter house join wen e happen.

Harvey and Mattew na human being name, so how hurricane dey take get dia name sef? In short, why dem dey give hurricane name at all?
Another current story:

Indian woman divorce husband because dem no get toilet

Quote:
The lawyer for di woman tell AFP news agency say the judge say to dey make di woman poopoo for outside na one form of torture.

To piss and poopoo for open field dey common for villages for India. The government don set target to give every house toilet by 2019, but dat work never really get head.

It's apparently specifically a West African Pidgin, and the service started a couple of weeks ago:

BBC starts Pidgin digital service for West Africa audiences

Quote:
A new language service for digital platforms in English-based Pidgin for West and Central Africa has been launched by the BBC World Service.

Pidgin is one of the most widely-spoken languages across the region, even though it is not officially recognised.
Old 03 September 2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Pidgin is one of the most widely-spoken languages across the region, even though it is not officially recognised.
Recognition by the BBC must come pretty close, though.

Thanks for posting that, Richard W.

-- Related thing that I learned today, due to my reading your post and wondering about something in it: that many pidgin languages use gender-neutral pronouns.
Old 03 September 2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
-- Related thing that I learned today, due to my reading your post and wondering about something in it: that many pidgin languages use gender-neutral pronouns.
Pidgin and other dialects seem to have pretty good solutions for many of the confusing, wonky, or broken parts of English!
Old 05 September 2017, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
I learned that the BBC website publishes news in Pidgin as one of its languages when my friend posted this story on Facebook:
Why dem dey call Hurricane human being name
Another current story:
Indian woman divorce husband because dem no get toilet
It's apparently specifically a West African Pidgin, and the service started a couple of weeks ago:
BBC starts Pidgin digital service for West Africa audiences
Radio Australia has had a Papua New Guinea Pidgin (Tok Pisin) service for decades.
Radio Australia Tok Pisin
ABC Radio Perth: "Eoin Cameron introduced us to New Guinea Pidgin with a recording of Three Little Pigs (Tripela Liklik Pik)"

Some useful phrases:
That boat looks like it will sink, is it safe? – Dis pla sip em klost em sink, em orait?
The gentleman will pay for dinner – Gudpla man hia bai baim kai kai
I have diarrhea – Mi pek pek wara
I have B.O. and need a shower – Body bilong mi no smel gud mi mas was was
I need a stiff whiskey – Mi laikem strongpla wiski
Old 22 September 2017, 12:31 AM

I just learned that there are Samsung branded cars, although according to Wikipedia Samsung Motors is now a subsidiary of Renault and it looks like most Samsung cars today are badge-engineered Renaults.
Old 13 November 2017, 12:05 AM

Judge

Yesterday I learned that New York's governor recently signed legislation raising the minimum marriage age to 17 with judicial consent(previously, it was 14 with parental/judicial consent, 16 with just parental consent).
Old 13 November 2017, 03:39 PM

Glasses

Smitty, I seem to recall there is another state that's done that recently, too.

Seaboe
Old 16 November 2017, 05:50 PM

Throw Tomato

Thanks to the latest episode in Leah Remini's expose on Scientology, I now know why L. Ron Hubbard hates psychiatrists and psychiatry. Turns out he got a letter from the American Psychiatric Assn denouncing Dianetics (Scientology's forerunner) as not scientifically valid and borderline cultish. This was in the early 1950s, about 3 years before Scientology was born.

From what I can see of LRH, he didn't think too much of dentists either.
Old 16 November 2017, 07:46 PM

Glasses

I actually learned this last night. You can give cut your lip with dental floss (the floss equivalent of a paper cut). It didn't hurt and I didn't notice I'd done it until I realized there was blood on the handle of my toothbrush (hidden for the sensitive).

Today it does hurt if I open my mouth wide.

Seaboe