snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 29 July 2017, 03:50 PM

Plurabelle, my og-gyn explicitly told me before my ablation that I would need to continue using BC, because the ablation would not prevent conception,but it would almost certainly make it impossible to sustain a pregnancy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Birth control may not be enough. Speaking as someone who also had a difficult time getting pregnant and then had two very difficult pregnancies I would highly recommend you consider a tubal ligation. Even the best birth control can fail.
When I said "BC," I meant tubal ligation as well as chemical and barrier methods. I agree it sounds like the best method in Plurabelle's situation, not just for reliability, but because it's permanent and entirely within her control.
Old 29 July 2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post

When I said "BC," I meant tubal ligation as well as chemical and barrier methods. I agree it sounds like the best method in Plurabelle's situation, not just for reliability, but because it's permanent and entirely within her control.
My understanding is that even a tubal can fail but the chances of this happening are very small. Luckily I didn't know that until after nature made sure a pregnancy couldn't happen . Anyway even with it not necessarily being 100% it's still the best option for most women who do not want to risk pregnancy.
Old 29 July 2017, 04:01 PM

From the old Discovery Health channel series "I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant," I recall at least two instances where tubals failed, including one where the tube grew back after 10 years.
Old 29 July 2017, 04:20 PM

Oh my god, stop, you guys! I'm never going to have sex again for God's sake. We use a barrier method and hormonal methods for b/c and will continue to do so until I'm old and grey, based on these threads.

Unfortunately we have the type of chemistry where if my husband sneezes I get pregnant. So sex is off the table until I see my OBGYN, and then we will continue to use barrier methods because it can't hurt. I'm not willing to risk my life for an orgasm.

And I really don't want a hysterectomy but if that's what my OBGYN reccomends, I will do it. I suspect based on your feedback she'll recommend a tubal, and I'm not going to protest that. Whatever she thinks will keep me alive and kicking. But condoms are staying on the table until I'm about sixty. Jeez, you guys.

Also, thank you for caring. I'm not actually upset- it feels really nice to have a bunch of women give you well-meaning advice.
Old 29 July 2017, 05:06 PM

I'm also not sure ablation is done under local anesthetic. They put me out for mine. That was probably 15 years ago, maybe things have changed.
Old 29 July 2017, 07:24 PM

An IUD might be a good option for semi-permanent BC. (I believe it's good for about 5 years.) I've never had one, but I've heard good things.
Old 29 July 2017, 07:42 PM

I have an IUD and I love mine. How long they're effective depends on what type you get. There are hormonal IUDs that are effective as long as it's still releasing the hormones, anywhere from 2 to 5 years. There are also copper IUDs that are good for 10 years.

Each type of IUD has its strengths and weaknesses. Some people don't do well on hormones and prefer the copper. However, copper IUDs can make menstruation more painful and heavier. They're 99% effective and basically, once it's in, you almost never have to think of it again until it's time for a new one.
Old 29 July 2017, 08:30 PM

I did Essure for birth control after surprise baby at 41. It wasn't even available the last time I worried about birth control.

I read through this thread and it was fascinating to read about my youngest when he was a baby. I had forgotten about the applesauce up the nose thing. He starts kindergarten in a few weeks. Everybody pretty much sleeps through the night now but Little_Aud is 11 and a half and is very much a tween.

I hope everyone is doing well.
Old 29 July 2017, 08:36 PM

Wasn't he the one born on the living room floor after coming way too fast to make it to the hospital?

They grow up really fast

I appreciate suggestions of an IUD, that's one thing I didn't think of and that combined with condoms should be pretty effective. But I'll see what my doctor has to say, if she prefers me doing a tubal that's fine.
Old 08 August 2017, 05:58 AM

I'm happily the new customer of an IUD (Mirena).
Old 31 August 2017, 01:14 AM

Going in at 6am to get my uterus removed, but they are leaving the ovaries.

I'm nervous, because I've never had abdominal surgery before (I had eye surgery and that was easy!) but I really like and respect my doctors.

We have to be at the hospital by 5am to check in but I don't think I'm going to sleep tonight.

The IUD was a temporary measure and they will obviously take that out with the rest of the package.

I hope my husband still loves me when this is done. I know he will, but I'm still scared. He wants children SO badly.
Old 31 August 2017, 01:43 AM

Plurabelle, thoughts with you for smooth surgery!

And, presuming you also want children: they can still be your kids if you didn't give birth to them. As you know.
Old 31 August 2017, 11:02 AM

Still waiting but I think that's par for the course. Thank you for your well wishes. And yes, I definitely want to accept children into my home as their own and my own. I've come to accept adoption is a lovely thing, even though we don't have anything lined up yet. They did give me a xanax or something similar. And told me to enjoy my phone before they took it away.
Old 31 August 2017, 02:34 PM

Best wishes for a quick recovery. Remember to stay ahead of the pain.

When you're ready to talk about adoption I'd be happy to share my experience.
Old 31 August 2017, 04:03 PM

Plurabelle, I've been following your story and I hope everything goes well for you.
Old 31 August 2017, 05:01 PM

I'm out, but on a lot of drugs. My husband brought my phone

Everything went well he says. I'm going to fall asleep, I think. I can't type very well right now.

Thanks for pulling for me, message board.
Old 01 September 2017, 11:35 AM

Whoa, did I fall asleep! Being discharged now, feeling okay, have pain medication and a tiny scar in my abdomen. Still woozy, but my husband is in charge.
Old 01 September 2017, 12:00 PM

Glad it went well!
Old 01 September 2017, 07:04 PM

I'm glad it went so well for you!
Old 01 September 2017, 07:08 PM

I'm kind of in disbelief! They took out an organ that is relatively large but my scar is tiny. I'm still on painkillers, mind. And I'm home the next day! It doesn't seem real.