snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 22 August 2017, 06:05 PM

One thing that really got to me is my stepfather commented, during our wedding, (which was held at our house) that our house was a dump and he was ashamed of my housekeeping skills. The house was CRAZY because we were hosting 50 people for dinner, which our nephew was cooking in our kitchen, while he's allergic to our pets, so all the animals are corralled upstairs. Plus 15 overnight guests.

I think I need to embrace the idea that he's just a freaking jerk.
Old 22 August 2017, 07:26 PM

He would have been a freaking jerk for saying that even if there had been nobody extra in the house but him.

There are very rare situations in which it's suitable to criticize another adult's housekeeping skills -- I would say it's limited to two: one, the person specifically asked for advice on the subject; two, there's an actual health hazard involved. Even in those situations, that's not the way to do it.
Old 22 August 2017, 07:31 PM

What TL said. He's a jerk. Practice not caring what he says. :-)
Old 28 August 2017, 09:36 PM

We visited some young friends of ours yesterday and it was so hard not to say something. They bought their first house in April, were gifted beautiful stainless steel applicances in the kitchen and spent a fair bit of time and money painting the inside of the house, buying curtains and some lovely pieces of furniture etc. When we saw the house shortly after they moved in it wouldn't have looked out of place on the pages of House Beautiful.

Fast forward 4 months. Only 4 months. And it's filthy . The stainless steel stove is so covered over with stains and old burnt on food I don't know if it's salvageable and the rest of the house pretty much matched it. They were talking about getting a Molly Maid, and that would certainly help but when I pointed out that Molly Maids don't clean up clutter (I think I was more diplomatic than that, I said something along the lines of "I don't think they will put away really personal items or paper work") they seemed dismayed. I don't know what they expect someone to do for 3 hours a week at $20 an hour (or whatever they charge) but they sure can't expect miracles!
Old 29 August 2017, 02:11 PM

Surely a good scrubbing would save the stove?
Old 29 August 2017, 02:18 PM

I really hope so! But my husband says what I thought was staining is actually discolouration and there are scratches as well as the cooked on food. If they go ahead with their plan for a Molly Maid maybe she will have some way of tackling it! I really hope so but if they continue to abuse their stuff eventually no amount of cleaning will make any real difference.
Old 29 August 2017, 02:48 PM

Wow.

If they can get it uncluttered, they'll need to pay for a deep cleaning before the regular Molly Maid routine starts.
Old 29 August 2017, 04:07 PM

Tsk, Tsk

My front yard has looked like a jungle for most of the year; I simply cannot do the yard work that I used to be able to and it looks it. If all that foliage was just in my yard, it wouldn't be a big deal, but a lot of it was hanging over the sidewalk and that's why I got a letter from the county telling me to clean it up asap. This past weekend, I had it cleaned up, and am in the process of having all that brush hauled away. Whew! Now it's up to me to make sure that that overgrowth never happens again.
The county doesn't expect my yard to look like a magazine cover, but I can certainly understand their concern and hence the letter. Who wants to dodge wild grape vines on their way to the bus stop/church/school/wherever?
Say, does anyone know if I have to contact the county and tell them that I've resolved the problem, or does that vary by county?
Old 29 August 2017, 04:10 PM

I imagine it varies by county, but if you called the health department or the building department I'd hope they could point you to the right place. I assume you don't have the letter anymore.
Old 29 August 2017, 04:12 PM

Oh I do; I should call the woman who sent it to me to tell her problem solved. Keeping the growth under control should be a lot easier than having to clean it up. Lot cheaper too.
Old 29 August 2017, 04:26 PM

For the notices I've received, no follow-up was required on my part. They will send someone out to check for compliance regardless.
Old 29 August 2017, 04:33 PM

Probably, and send additional notice(s) to those who don't act (eventually, at least in the town where I worked, they'll do the work and bill you for it).
Old 29 August 2017, 04:53 PM

That's what they do here too. They've recently added mowing the lawn and shoveling snow to the list. And it's about 10 times what it would cost to have a neighborhood kid to the work.
Old 29 August 2017, 05:04 PM

Long grass was the thing we most commonly sent letters about.
Old 14 September 2017, 08:43 PM

Reviving an old-ish topic, but someone who helped me with personal clutter vs. just cleaning was a friend who was a personal organizer.

Not the same as a maid; she didn't clean, she just helped me go through paperwork, clothes, etc, determine what I should keep and what I should donate/trash, and find logical places in the home for it.

She only charged me $20/hr but she turned my life around; the best thing was that I was with her while we talked through things so I could learn how to do it myself after about 5 hrs of sorting/etc.

I for some reason (probably an old idea in my head based on old sitcoms and my parents talking) thought I had to keep 7 years worth of pay stubs, and they literally took up two filing cabinet drawers. She was like "your tax returns show the EXACT SAME THING! THROW THEM OUT!"

I did have a pile of paper to shred almost as tall as I am, but hey...

Best $100 I ever spent!
Old 15 September 2017, 03:06 PM

Glasses

My problem with organizing like that is that shredding takes time. Home shredders can only take a few pages at a time, the bin has to be emptied frequently, and garbage cans/ yard waste can only hold so much each week (I have a cross cut shredder; I can't put the resulting confetti in the recycle bin).

Seaboe
Old 15 September 2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plurabelle View Post
I for some reason (probably an old idea in my head based on old sitcoms and my parents talking) thought I had to keep 7 years worth of pay stubs, and they literally took up two filing cabinet drawers. She was like "your tax returns show the EXACT SAME THING! THROW THEM OUT!"

!
Did she tell you how long you should keep pay stubs? I should really consider consulting someone like that. I just get so overwhelmed and then don't do anything.
Old 15 September 2017, 04:15 PM

Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
Did she tell you how long you should keep pay stubs? I should really consider consulting someone like that. I just get so overwhelmed and then don't do anything.
The only timeframe I could see where pay stubs are useful would be the current calendar year. The only reason to keep the stubs would be to reconcile with the W-2. Once you have your W-2, you have all of the pay information for that year and should not need the individual stubs.
Old 16 September 2017, 12:30 AM

Yeah, only keep stubs for the current calendar year, once you get your W2, out they go. I don't get pay stubs anymore - it's all online - but hubby does so it varies by company.

Staples has a shredding service - like Seaboe said, it would have taken me years to get through my pile with a home shredder. I dropped it off in a garbage bag and the biggest hassle was walking 3 blocks with that huge bag
Old 16 September 2017, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plurabelle View Post

Your pay stubs must be far larger than mine. My leave and earnings statements were generally only one page per pay period, 26 pay periods for a typical year and my nearly 40 years with the same employer would have given me about a thousand sheets.

But my other point is in regards to pay stub and W-2 information.

My LES data has far more information than is documented on a W-2, granted, most of it isn't really important in the grand scheme of things, except for one category, my contributions to the retirement system. Changing from one pay system to another and then our agency going from its own internal pay processing, to another agency and finally to a third agency, I've wanted to keep every pay slip to make sure my retirement contributions are correctly accounted for.

Not everyone may have the same situation in regards to what their financial package might be.