snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Fun House

Old 30 July 2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
Why would you no longer know how to use one? Have they changed?

(I have never ordered drive-thru food as an adult, so my only reference is sitting in the car as a kid in the 90's, when my parents would order.)
I don't know how things have changed for TL but one change around here is that there are often two lanes streaming towards the pick up window but each lane has a separate order window (or more usually order speaker). You are supposed to get into the shortest lane but I've lost count of the times I see a lineup of cars in one lane and we go to the front of the other lane and are in and out while people are still waiting in the other lane. My only conclusion here is that people don't get the concept of two lanes at a drive thru - or they're just not paying attention I guess!
Old 30 July 2017, 06:37 PM

I'm also confused by the drive-through thing; I haven't noticed any major changes around here in 20 years.

I wonder if girls who start their periods younger are more likely to stop growing when they start menstruating? It seems I've heard this a lot from short women. I got mine at 13 and didn't stop growing until college, I think. I know I put on about an inch after I got my license at 16; I was 5'8 and change at the time and rounded down when listing my height, but when it came time to renew I was over 5'9. My mom stopped growing at age 12, when she was 5’4, and I was about the same height at that age but hadn't gotten my period yet.

Anyhoo, back on topic:
via Imgflip Meme Generator

ETA:

Last edited by Esprise Me; 30 July 2017 at 07:07 PM.
Old 30 July 2017, 07:39 PM

I don't have a cite but yes, it is my understanding that early puberty limits growth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I'm sorry you didn't get the help you needed from your mother and grandmother(?) but I honestly don't see what on earth them not currently menstruating has to do with anything. They weren't helpful because they weren't helpful.
Yeah, my mom was 42 when I was born and had a hysterectomy 4 years later, but aside from the weird tampon-shame thing, she was quite helpful re: my period.
Old 30 July 2017, 07:51 PM

Maybe it was just an odd drive through and I took it for the new standard?

What I remember doing, originally, was driving up to the window and speaking with a human through an open order window. What happened the time I'm thinking of is blurry in my memory, it was several years ago; but it involved, I think, punching buttons according to some set of instructions that was entirely unclear to me, and I think involved a speaker which was replicating sound so poorly that I couldn't understand what was being said. The person who was driving / ordering seemed to have no problem with it whatsoever and to take for granted that that was how it worked.

I stopped growing at just shy of 5'2"; but my mother, my sisters, and I all came out about the same adult height, and my father wasn't tall (though it's true he nearly starved as a child). So it may not have had much to do with age at menarche. -- it occurs to me that I have no idea when my mother or my sisters started. My sisters are 9 and 10 years older than me, so I was too small to be paying any attention at the time.

on topic, maybe: 'I've known how to hunt since I was tall enough to run, what do you mean I'm hafted tool illiterate?!'
Old 30 July 2017, 07:55 PM

Re: age of menarche and adult height --

Quote:
It is true that a girl s growth slows down once she starts her periods, but it doesn t stop completely. For the next two years after the period starts, there is usually a little bit more growth, about one to three inches. There are usually not large growth spurts once the period starts.
https://www.familyeducation.com/life...t-menstruation

ETA: Thorny Locust, I've never been at a drive-thru where I had to push buttons, but speaking into a speaker to order is common. I don't remember every giving an order to a person at a window. I remember some drive-thrus where, after ordering through the speaker, you pay at one window and are given your food at a second window. And yeah, the speakers are often really bad.
Old 30 July 2017, 09:00 PM

Icon102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
My only conclusion here is that people don't get the concept of two lanes at a drive thru - or they're just not paying attention I guess!
Or they assume the other speaker is broken. After all, you see a line of cars waiting at just one of two speakers, there must be a reason no one else has gotten the idea to use the other lane, right? In such cases, I've gone to the other lane thinking "a ha! I'm smarter than all these people waiting in line." Sometimes, as you say, the lane is available and I've jumped to the head of the line and feel only the slightest twinge of regret at cutting in front of all those other people: after all any of them could have done the same. As other cars pull in behind me, I tell myself I've really done a public service, making it clear to them there are two working lanes. But other times... I pull up to the speaker only to see a piece of paper taped onto it saying something to the effect of "out of order, use other lane." Now who looks stupid? Sometimes, I'm too ashamed to even pull in behind the other cars, driving off with my tail between my legs.

It only takes one person to miss the lane or to get stuck behind someone with a really long order or whatever that results in the other lane being clear with two or more cars still waiting in the first lane. Then it's kind of like that joke, with the man looking up at the sky. It goes something like this:

Someone is craning their neck, looking up, as if looking at something in the sky.

A few more people start looking up, they don't see anything, so they figure it must only be visible from where the first person is standing. They all gather round, looking up, scanning the sky trying to see what he sees.

Eventually someone walks up and asks "hey, what are you all looking at?"

The first guy says "oh, I'm not looking at anything, it's just my neck is really stiff and I'm trying to get a kink out of it" as he brings his hand up to his neck and start rubbing at it. Hilarious.

Last edited by ASL; 30 July 2017 at 09:16 PM. Reason: word choice or something
Old 31 July 2017, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Re: age of menarche and adult height --

https://www.familyeducation.com/life...t-menstruation

ETA: Thorny Locust, I've never been at a drive-thru where I had to push buttons, but speaking into a speaker to order is common. I don't remember every giving an order to a person at a window. I remember some drive-thrus where, after ordering through the speaker, you pay at one window and are given your food at a second window. And yeah, the speakers are often really bad.
My mom is 5'7" and my dad was 6'2". I had a "bone age" scan done by an endocrinologist before I started my period but I was showing signs of hitting puberty already, it was enough to worry my parents. He estimated based on a x-ray I'd be 5'7" like my mother if I didn't hit puberty until about 13, but I was about 5'1" when my period came (I was kind of tall for my age). I topped out at 5'2" and then "grew" another inch when I started doing yoga in college because my posture got a whole lot better. So I'm 5'3" if I'm standing up straight.
Old 03 August 2017, 02:21 AM

Mouse

'Like and Share if you walked on your knuckles and survived!'

Felt I ought to get this thread going again.
Old 03 August 2017, 11:49 PM

Whalephant

Like and share if you remember hunting these into extinction!
Old 04 August 2017, 12:05 AM

Psychic

Liberal revisionism at its finest. Mammoths, if they existed at all, would have died out because they couldn't fit on the Ark, not because of lax regulation of the global commons. The invisible hand of the free market would have ensured that human cave-dwellers, recognizing their profitability, would have taken action to ensure the species' survival through prayer and fasting long before they were hunted to extinction.
Old 04 August 2017, 01:32 AM

Like and share if you grew up before monotheism!

ETA: Remember never hearing about this "money" stuff when you were a kid?
Old 04 August 2017, 04:49 AM

Like and Share If You Remember Using This!
Old 04 August 2017, 01:21 PM

Baseball

If you remember 20 Aurochs breeding seasons, you are really old!!!
Old 04 August 2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Like and share if you grew up before monotheism!

ETA: Remember never hearing about this "money" stuff when you were a kid?
Remember how hard it was to push things around because the wheel had not been invented?
Old 04 August 2017, 03:47 PM

Remember when there was no nostalgia because we hadn't invented society yet?
Old 04 August 2017, 05:08 PM

Old 04 August 2017, 07:31 PM

Old 07 August 2017, 06:08 PM

Bear

Clothing! Bah! When I was a kid, we just let it all hang out! These days, the temperature gets below 80 and you kids are looking for spare bearskins!
Old 10 August 2017, 06:46 AM

Nope, not bored with this yet.