snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Fun House

Old 23 March 2017, 01:11 PM

Default The GOP is terrible at playing 'Dungeons & Dragons,' if you believe the internet

Quote:
#GOPDnD has become a topic on Twitter, a hashtag that explores how members of the Republican party would play Dungeons & Dragons. People have expertly captured the attitude of the GOP and channeled it into how they would navigate this beloved tabletop game.
http://mashable.com/2017/03/22/gop-dnd-twitter/

Oh, man these are great!

https://twitter.com/hashtag/GOPdnd

Old 23 March 2017, 04:03 PM

Spit Take

Obviously fake news!

I doubt many in the GOP would be caught dead even playing DnD.

~Psihala
Old 23 March 2017, 07:24 PM

Theme Icon

I would like to see a roleplaying game that takes place in modern times where your character is actually a GOP government official. It would be a lot of fun.
Old 23 March 2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
I would like to see a roleplaying game that takes place in modern times where your character is actually a GOP government official. It would be a lot of fun.
Functionaries & Financiers!
Old 23 March 2017, 09:49 PM

That'd be like a Shadowrun game were you were one of the megacorps.
Old 23 March 2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
There are a lot of roleplaying systems out there, not all of which are intrinsically locked to fantasy settings. Some of them are sufficiently flexible to capture this and actually make a game out of it. The downside is that the highly flexible ones aren't going to hold your hand and guide you through the exact scenario that you want, so your DM would have to do a lot of the work, and everyone involved would have to be sufficiently knowledgeable about political process to meaningfully contribute.

If you aren't sure you can actually take a whole campaign of the GOP, you could experiment with a quick one-off game session, which could work well within the Fiasco crime caper storytelling based roleplaying system. You could play bumbling, corrupt politicians headed for inevitable comeuppance and it would fit right in.

If you wanted a campaign, something like the Cortex Plus system (probably the "Drama" subtype) could be adapted to nearly any situation you like. The skills and abilities that it supports are flexible and can be designed around your scenario. Combat is not an intrinsic part of the game, but rather is represented as opposing another player's skill check, but that applies equally to many things that are not combat, and the types of games that use this system often end up having little to no actual combat.
Old 24 March 2017, 12:03 AM

Quote:
How about Papers & Paychecks - not exact, but it could be reworked.

Note - I do have an interest in this in that I am one of the designers.
Old 24 March 2017, 01:21 PM

Ponder

You know, I was just making a less-than-half-serious joke, but we may be on to something here. I envision the game as something like the short-lived TV show BrainDead, minus the alien insects - or maybe with them.
Old 24 March 2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
You know, I was just making a less-than-half-serious joke, but we may be on to something here. I envision the game as something like the short-lived TV show BrainDead, minus the alien insects - or maybe with them.
Illegal alien insects!

Old 24 March 2017, 03:04 PM

Aw, man! These are amazing!