snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 21 February 2018, 02:28 PM

United Kingdom

For our British snopesters, if a British news outlet has to discuss the American organization Fannie Mae, how do they do so, given that the first word is a vulgar term there but not here?
Old 21 February 2018, 02:40 PM

Icon05

Maybe this is another stupid question but (if Fannie really were too vulgar to be printed) couldn't they simply use the organisation's real name and/or acronym?
Old 21 February 2018, 02:54 PM

"Fannie" can be a vulgar term if it's used that way, but isn't it also just a girl's name? Refusing to print it would be like refusing to print the name "Dick," I think.
Old 21 February 2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
For our British snopesters, if a British news outlet has to discuss the American organization Fannie Mae, how do they do so, given that the first word is a vulgar term there but not here?
Same way the US media discusses Dick Cheney. By accusing it of being the one really in charge during the Bush administration. And, also, by using it's nickname without worrying about the vulgarity.
http://www.bbc.com/news/10333496
Old 21 February 2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
While I was driving in my very cold truck, waiting for the engine to warm up and provide warm air for the heater, I wondered my Stupid Question--does the engine warm up faster if you run it at higher revs? I'm not talking in the red zone, more like delaying your shift so the engine runs at 2500-3000 rpm instead of 1800-2000.
Assuming your thermostat is working correctly, running an engine at higher RPM would warm it up faster since the engine is burning more fuel at a faster rate. It would potentially cause more wear though since the engine oil is cold and may not be circulating as well as when the engine is fully warmed up.

Regarding saying Fannie Mae: http://www.cbs.com/shows/the-late-sh...every-country/
Old 22 February 2018, 12:07 AM

I got an email that was obviously a spam/virus email: The name in the from field was the name of someone I know, but the email address it came from was a random string of letters and the body was grammatically incorrect and told me to click on a link. I'm obviously not going to click on the link, but I'm curious about the fact that on first glance it appeared to come from someone I know.

Does that mean that:
a) That person has a virus that's sending emails to people in their contacts list.
b) A hacker has obtained my contacts list and is sending emails spoofing the from field with names from my contacts.
Old 22 February 2018, 12:26 AM

Unless you've had problems before, it's my guess it's the former.

I've gotten stuff like this myself. I always send the people a screen grab copy of the email involved to let them know they may have issues.

In one friend's case, it confirmed to him his email account had been hacked, and was being used to send massive amounts of spam.
Old 22 February 2018, 12:34 AM

That was my first assumption, except for the reply-to email address being random letters, in other words obviously not their actual email address. But they probably spoofed that so that if I hit "reply" without paying attention (like to ask if they really sent it) the email won't go to the right person.
Old 22 February 2018, 12:34 AM

Agreed. My work account got spoofed recently and it sent 100s of mails from my account before I stopped it.
Old 22 February 2018, 09:54 AM

Icon05

Edited: Never mind. I had a question but I'm guessing you don't mean your account was spoofed because that wouldn't allow them to send mail directly from your account (nor would it be easy to stop).
Old 22 February 2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
The "vulgar term" is spelled "fanny" rather than "fannie". And it's not all that vulgar really - it's almost a children's term. I don't get the impression that it's much more vulgar than "fanny" in American English - it just means a different part of the anatomy. It's also still a name, as others have pointed out. Not a common name these days but it still crops up in older works. There was a famous TV chef called Fanny Craddock not all that long ago. "Dick" seems a fair analogy.
Old 22 February 2018, 12:39 PM

Default Pep?

Seen on another thread..

What is a “Pep style rally”?

What is “Pep”? Is it a bad thing? I think of it as a derogitory description of over earnest ultra conservative people?

Is that in anyway right?
Old 22 February 2018, 12:49 PM

Baseball

Well a pep rally is usually a let's-cheer-on-the-local-football-team get together, so there's no reason why political groups could not use the term to mean let's get together and cheer on a cause/person we support. I imagine it can turn ugly if someone decided to stink up the place.
Old 22 February 2018, 01:01 PM

Pep is enthusiasm, basically. Pep rallies are traditionally held in high schools, to raise enthusiasm for the school's athletic teams.

ETA: Enthusiasm and energy.
Old 22 February 2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Does that mean that:
a) That person has a virus that's sending emails to people in their contacts list.
b) A hacker has obtained my contacts list and is sending emails spoofing the from field with names from my contacts.
While either is a possibility and worth a quick scan of your system by your malware detection software of choice, neither is actually required to be true.

E-mail is very public and there are plenty of data mining operations that can associate names with addresses, so it is quite likely that the email targeting you came from any number of possible sources that would not require either of your systems to be directly compromised.

Last edited by iskinner; 22 February 2018 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Proper version of there, their, they're
Old 22 February 2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Pep is enthusiasm, basically. Pep rallies are traditionally held in high schools, to raise enthusiasm for the school's athletic teams.

ETA: Enthusiasm and energy.
Wow. that’s not what I thought it was at all!

I can’t think of any UK equivalent. We just have School Sports days which are more egg and spoony than anything else and don’t really require extra pep.
Old 22 February 2018, 06:00 PM

Ponder

Is there any one place in the good ol' USA where the phrase If you don't like the weather, wait a day! DOES NOT apply? Hawaii--from what I hear--comes to mind, as does Southern California.
Certainly does not apply here!
Old 22 February 2018, 06:09 PM

Apparently Denver experienced a case of "If you don't like the season, wait a day."
Old 22 February 2018, 06:34 PM

Icon27

So I've heard. The same is true in this area as well!
Old 23 February 2018, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
The "vulgar term" is spelled "fanny" rather than "fannie". And it's not all that vulgar really - it's almost a children's term. I don't get the impression that it's much more vulgar than "fanny" in American English - it just means a different part of the anatomy.
I'm guessing that British TV cannot show Dick and Fanny before the watershed.