snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Closed Thread

Old 21 May 2013, 12:10 AM

Default Stupid questions

Looks like I get to start a new SQ thread! Sooooo, how many of your lottery numbers have to come up before you win anything at all?
Old 21 May 2013, 02:01 AM

Enough that you'll lose money. The house always wins
Old 21 May 2013, 02:32 AM

Lainie, thanks for answer in old (closed) thread.

I'm avoiding getting tangled up in Facebook as I spend too much time online as it is; but will quit worrying that she's just disappeared.
Old 21 May 2013, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
Sooooo, how many of your lottery numbers have to come up before you win anything at all?
Three for Lotto, Lotto Plus 5 and Thunderball and just one for Lotto Hotpicks.
Old 21 May 2013, 03:21 AM

Just getting the Powerball will get you a small amount of money ($5?).
Old 23 May 2013, 07:58 PM

Can one add fresh gasoline to a lawnmower half-full of stale gasoline to get it to start? What if it's three-quarters full?

If you drain out the stale gasoline, what should you drain it into, and what should you do with it? Could you use it for your car's gas tank without hurting your car?
Old 23 May 2013, 08:03 PM

I have, more than once, added fresh gasoline to stale to get my lawnmower to start. I'd say the most stale I have done this with is about 50%.
Old 23 May 2013, 08:22 PM

If you drain out the stale gas, you can put it in your car because it will be diluted enough to not harm the car.

ETA: This is assuming you don't have a really large fuel tank on the lawn mower, like several gallons, and a really small tank on the car.
Old 23 May 2013, 10:35 PM

Australia

What's the logic behind a BMW owner putting vanity licence plates on their car that say BMW?

It just seems really redundant when they sit directly under the BMW logo.

Dropbear
Old 23 May 2013, 11:10 PM

Default Musicology Question

My wife has a Pandora channel that, well, to put it delicately, I can't stand. If I had to describe what it was, I'd have to say it's something like VERY soft adult contemporary/semi-modern easy listening or something along those lines. Like, the stuff that you associate with middle-aged suburban soccer moms in the 80's and early 90's. There's a lot of stuff like Mike + the Mechanics, Jim Brickman, Michael Bolton, Barry Manilow, John Tesh, Norah Jones, Barbara Streisand, that kind of stuff.

So the question is, what do all of these artists have in common, and what is it that makes them so hard for me to listen to? It can't be just as simple as "I don't like soft music," because I do. I like Simon & Garfunkel, the Byrds, Savage Garden, Five for Fighting, U2, Journey, the Eagles, Jewel, Bryan Adams, Sting, and plenty of other pop artists. I actually really detest hardcore music. I can deal with some punk, but more on the pop/mainstream market side and not so much the indie stuff.

So it's not as simple as "Amigone likes harder music." I suspect it has something to do with chord progressions, beat, and/or tempo, but I'm not really sure what. I do know that Pachelbel's Canon appears in lots of pop music, but I don't really get what that's all about either. Maybe someone more versed in music could help me understand?
Old 23 May 2013, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropbear View Post
What's the logic behind a BMW owner putting vanity licence plates on their car that say BMW?

Did it say anything else? Like, it's not uncommon to see a vanity plate here that says something like "JIMSBMW". But, I don't know how vanity plates work in Australia, either.

I do know that here, there can only be one plate in the state that would say "BMW", so someone might get it just to have the only one. I'd love to have MGB for our example but it's been taken since the 80's, when you started to be able to get vanity plates in this state.
Old 24 May 2013, 12:05 AM

Australia

It actually said 130BMW so it lacked even uniqueness. It was a definitely a vanity plate.

Dropbear
Old 24 May 2013, 01:47 AM

Quote:
It actually said 130BMW so it lacked even uniqueness. It was a definitely a vanity plate.

Dropbear
Not necessarily - it could be a reference to the car being a 130i model. Though again, one could tell that already from the badge on the trunk.
Old 24 May 2013, 02:00 AM

Quote:

Dunno, but I've also seen people put the Apple stickers included with the purchase on their Macbooks and iPhones. I guess at least that doesn't cost anything, unlike a vanity plate.
Old 24 May 2013, 02:55 AM

Australia

I mean - if it makes them happy then why not I'm not condemning them - it just seems odd to spend extra money proclaiming you have 130 BMW by putting a sign on a 130 BMW that says 130 BMW. I mean they know what sort of car they have, anybody who would care about special cars would be able to see what sort of car it is - so what does it achieve?

Maybe it's sort of tidy in their heads - "the BMW is labelled BMW, I like BMWs, this makes me happy".

Dropbear
Old 24 May 2013, 03:16 AM

Quote:
...anybody who would care about special cars would be able to see what sort of car it is - so what does it achieve?
No, it's probably "Hey, I have a special BMW! Look at my BMW!! Did you know I have a BMW? I'm so great, I have a BMW! Wonder if everyone has noticed my special BMW?"
Old 24 May 2013, 03:55 AM

Quote:
I mean - if it makes them happy then why not I'm not condemning them - it just seems odd to spend extra money proclaiming you have 130 BMW by putting a sign on a 130 BMW that says 130 BMW. I mean they know what sort of car they have, anybody who would care about special cars would be able to see what sort of car it is - so what does it achieve?
Exclusivity. If it says "130 BMW" and isn't some convoluted thing with a Q for an O and number substitutions, it'll be the only one that says the exact model number (well, one of two, surely someone has "BMW 130" as well). Some people just like to have the only plate with their car on it. I think it's kind of a stupid thing to do with something newer like a BMW 130-surely you're not going to own it that long, so if you trade it for, say, an Audi A4, you have to get a new number. (I don't know how license plates work in Australia, and whether they stay with the car or with the owner).

For fun, I checked the state of Illinois' database for vanity plates (you can search online before applying for a vanity plate), and looked for "ASTON", "VETTE", "AC ACE", "BUGATTI", "CAMARO", "Z 28", "MGB", "MUSTANG", and "FIAT 500", and all of them were taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender blue View Post
No, it's probably "Hey, I have a special BMW! Look at my BMW!! Did you know I have a BMW? I'm so great, I have a BMW! Wonder if everyone has noticed my special BMW?"
Personally, I feel this way about a lot of vanity plates-that it's an LAM. Personally, I don't give a rodent's tuchus if the person in the car in front of me "LVSCATS"*, is "MOMOF5"*, or is into "DRSSAGE"***.

*amazingly, this is still available in Illinois
**the suggested "next closest" choice is "MOMOF 18".
***nothing to say about this, just wanted to keep the pattern going.
Old 24 May 2013, 04:28 AM

What time zone is the North Pole in, if any?
Old 24 May 2013, 05:41 AM

Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadsterboy View Post
Exclusivity.
Okay - I can sort of see that. doesn't make personal sense but I can see why they might want it.

Dropbear
Old 24 May 2013, 05:52 AM

I don't know much about musical theory, but I'll take a stab at this anyway: the artists you listed as liking are what I would categorize as singer/songwriter, folk, or stadium rock acts. Some specific songs in their catalogue may get airplay on Adult Contemporary radio but those songs aren't typical enough of their work to really label them as AC artists.

Some of the artists you listed as not liking are often made fun of for being "square", best known for singing old-fashioned songs about romance (or sometimes family), over simple piano or acoustic guitar arrangements. Typically inoffensive and unchallenging, Branson, Missouri, Hallmark Channel, office workplace radio station type-stuff. The bands you listed as liking are either more grounded in rock music, with electric guitar typically more common than acoustic guitar or piano, or in the singer/songwriter tradition with more diverse subject matter and more frequent attempts to convey different moods and write deeper lyrics. I just mean, I've been in places where I had to listen to AC stations against my will, sometimes Sting's "If I Ever Lose My Faith In You" would come on, and I've noticed the lyrics to that song were a cut above everything else on the station and much more... ambivalent and contemplative and just "modern", know what I mean? I hope this rambling late night post made some sense
Closed Thread