snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Crash and Burn

Old 05 April 2013, 05:57 PM

Default Driver of Vehicle that Killed Rabbi Had Mental Health Issues

Quote:
Eric Maltz was driving with a propane tank in his vehicle when he struck and killed one rabbi and seriously injured another on Riverside Drive last week, sources confirm.

The 20-year-old resident of Braeburn Drive in Princeton was seriously injured after his BMW careened down Riverside Drive on Thursday morning without braking, crossed to the other side of the road and struck two parked cars.
http://princeton.patch.com/articles/...ank-in-his-car

I'm bringing this up not because of the specific incident, but because the way it is discussed here doesn't help with the stigma of mental illness at all. And I'm not sure that it's appropriate or productive to discuss a person's medical issues publicly like this, especially when he's still alive.

But to be honest, I can't pinpoint precisely what troubles me about the way this story is being reported. Does it trouble any of you? If so, why?
Old 05 April 2013, 06:09 PM

In general, it's poorly edited and disorganized.

I don't think listing the specific medications Maltz reported taking is appropriate or relevant. I also don't see any point in mentioning his juvenile incidents with the police since the details can't be released.

ETA: It also seems to imply a connection between the recent domestic disturbance and the crash that killed the rabbi, but there seems to be no evidence supporting such a connection.
Old 05 April 2013, 10:22 PM

Listing his medications didn't bother just me--people complained on the paper's Facebook page--but they responded by saying that they pretty well printed everything in the police report that hadn't been redacted for privacy.

This makes me wonder about the judgment of our local police as well as our local journalists.