snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Moot Court

Old 28 January 2015, 05:18 PM

I doubt he got violent, because the article noted the boy wasn't charged with anything - not shop lifting, not resisting arrest, nothing. Also, when I worked in retail, it was routine to call the police over incidents like this.

If that is true, I sympathize with the family, and I can see a store trying to make a big show of being "tough on loss prevention" by making a show of an employee they've accused of theft... even if they later realized he was for whatever reason innocent of the crime.

Of course we don't know the store's side of the issue, and obviously Target wisely isn't commenting on pending litigation. And even if it only happened at one store, the whole franchise is generally still responsible since they are responsible for their employees at all Target locations.
Old 28 January 2015, 06:16 PM

He might have been arrested and booked, but never formally charged because he died three days after the arrest. It's possible that the charges just hadn't been filed before he died. It's also possible he wasn't ging to be charged, but the fact that he wasn't is just not proof that there were no charges pending, given the timing of his death.
Old 28 January 2015, 06:26 PM

If that was the case he surely would have been aware that charges were pending. Are you suggesting that for whatever reason he didn't tell his mother this when he was telling her everything else that happened? I suppose that's possible but it seems unlikely. Also his death while it, of course, would have ended any possibility of charges it wouldn't have erased records of what might have been about to happen. I doubt somehow that his mother, or certainly her lawyers, would not have confirmed with the police whether there were actual charges pending given the nature of her lawsuit.
Old 28 January 2015, 06:33 PM

The claim she made is that he was never charged. It's probably a true claim. I have no idea what he would have known or told his mother. He could have been told that the information was being forwarded to the DA, and nothing more. I'm certainly not going to make assumptions about what he knew, told his mother, or what she knew or assumed. I'm explaining that the fact that he wasn't charged in that time frame is not proof that he wouldn't have been charged.
Old 29 January 2015, 01:32 AM

Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Are you suggesting that for whatever reason he didn't tell his mother this when he was telling her everything else that happened? I suppose that's possible but it seems unlikely.
I certainly don't know what actually happened in this specific case but it is my experience that people are often very untruthful about charges or what has occurred when telling people such as parents or spouses. At the very least it is usually spun in as flattering a light as possible.

I have been there when people tell their parents or spouses about an incident which I have investigated and wonder how they could even possibly begin to think that what they are saying is accurate.

Quote:
I doubt somehow that his mother, or certainly her lawyers, would not have confirmed with the police whether there were actual charges pending given the nature of her lawsuit.
I'm sure they are aware if charges were pending or not, but it is in the best interest of their lawsuit to state he hasn't been charge if that is factually accurate regardless of the circumstances behind why he wasn't charged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
Agreed. And that is quite likely police policy rather than the store's policy. Store management doesn't decided when the policy use handcuffs, do they?
I am assuming you meant police and no store management doesn't decide when police use handcuffs.

Typically when I respond to a store for a crime involving an employee the employee has been taken to an office somewhere. Often due to the layout it is near the back of the store. I put handcuffs on when I make a determination to make an arrest. This usually takes place in the office. The result is that when we leave we usually walk through the store. For me it's not a matter of trying to humiliate the person its a matter of safety and policy. I'm not trying to embarrass them and I understand it may be humiliating but I am not going to compromise my safety.

The only exceptions I usually make is if I have someone who has been extremely cooperative, and it can be done safely, I will try to not handcuff someone in front of their kids.