snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Police Blotter

Old 06 December 2014, 09:33 PM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Oh, that's not power tripping at all.
I was feeling friendly that day, and after he ask me what I did for a living I asked him what he did as I would have in a polite conversation. That was his response.

I know I was speaking out of turn and would not do it again. Not because of the threat, but because I recognize it as a difficult high-stress job. Trying to lighten the mood just put him on edge which was not my intent.
Old 07 December 2014, 04:42 AM

Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
This is the first place I've encountered the "keys on the dashboard" suggestion. ETA: And the one about interior lights. Hands on the steering wheel is a common caution.
Yeah I don't shut my car off if im pulled over and don't expect anyone to if I pull them over, but it may be preferred in other areas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryda Wong, EBfCo. View Post
Honestly, I wouldn't have ever thought to do those things, except for turning the car off.
And there isn't anything wrong with that, I just happen to have the experience of being on the other side so know what will make the officer's job easier. It isn't a requirement just a courtesy.

Here are my tips and guides to a traffic stop.

Put the car in park. Turn off the radio. Roll down the driver's window. Place your hands on the steering wheel with your hands open. If it is at night turn on the interior dome light. If you have passengers have them rest their hands on their laps or legs just where their hands can be easily seen. Don't begin to gather paperwork until the officer asks for the items (Driver's license, insurance and registration.) Once asked for those items then move to gather them. If you have a weapon in the car notify the officer once they complete their initial verbal contact. Tell the officer where it is verbally without reaching for it, unless they ask you to.
you can offer explanations for why you got pulled over but arguing won't help. It is your right to not say anything about the suspected violation at all if you choose.
When the officer is back at their own vehicle do not begin moving things or reaching into areas of the car. Don't get out of your vehicle unless asked to. If you have paperwork for the officer after they have gone back to their car or you need to let them know something hold the paper or you hand out the window.

these are just my tips to make a traffic stop smoother and easier for both you and the officer. If anyone has any particular questions about a traffic stop or just contact with police in general I would be happy to offer you my advise or opinion.
Old 08 December 2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Blue View Post
Put the car in park. Turn off the radio. Roll down the driver's window...

these are just my tips to make a traffic stop smoother and easier for both you and the officer. If anyone has any particular questions about a traffic stop or just contact with police in general I would be happy to offer you my advise or opinion.

Dark Blue, what would you recommend in a situation where rolling down the driver's window isn't possible (ie, the window mechanism is broken)?

My thought was to stop, put the car in park and hands on the wheel, wait for the officer to approach and explain, "The window is broken. Should I open the door?" - but not open the door until told to do so.

Is that correct? Any other recommendations?
Old 08 December 2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singing in the Drizzle View Post
Reminds me of a 80s hair band that use to come through the drive thru I worked almost every weekend in the early morning. They were quite often had new stories of being pulled over for drug check because they had long hair, piercings, tattoos, wore spandex and drove around in a white van. While they did dress the part for their show, I never saw any evidence of drugs or even having a drink. Actually other than the way they dressed they probably would have been interesting people to have as good friends.
Someone's style of dress makes them not an 'interesting person to have as a good friend'?
Good job the people I know are more open-minded.
Old 08 December 2014, 07:20 PM

Given the SintD only "met" these people through the window of a drive-thru fast food place, I don't think that a judgement was being passed.
Old 09 December 2014, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
Someone's style of dress makes them not an 'interesting person to have as a good friend'?
Good job the people I know are more open-minded.
I'm not the long hair and spandex type person. So I tend to be seen as the lawyer or manager when I'm around people dressed like this. It is me that has a problem because I stand out as the odd one and sometimes it is not much fun.

I do have a lot of friends that do dress outside the norm, but dressing like that is not for me. If you like it then by all means have fun with it and I will not think any different of you.
Old 13 December 2014, 04:28 AM

Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Cellaneous View Post
Dark Blue, what would you recommend in a situation where rolling down the driver's window isn't possible (ie, the window mechanism is broken)?

My thought was to stop, put the car in park and hands on the wheel, wait for the officer to approach and explain, "The window is broken. Should I open the door?" - but not open the door until told to do so.

Is that correct? Any other recommendations?
Sorry it took so long to get back to you, I've been out of town.
What you described doing sounds good.
My main piece of advice here is that you don't open the door until you can communicate that the window doesn't work. Wait until you can relay that. Doors opening without the officer knowing why will make any cop on edge.
Old 14 December 2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Blue View Post
What you described doing sounds good.
My main piece of advice here is that you don't open the door until you can communicate that the window doesn't work. Wait until you can relay that. Doors opening without the officer knowing why will make any cop on edge.
Thanks - it sounded logical, but it's good to hear from a knowledgeable source. (After I posted, I realized it was probably irrelevant, since I don't drive any more, but the driver's window in my husband's car doesn't work, and I kept wondering.)

Given the number of roadside shootings, I can easily imagine that opening the door as an officer approaches the car would give him or her a very bad moment indeed! I can only imagine the amount of courage it takes to go out every day and do even the most routine parts of a law enforcement job. Thank you and your fellow officers for everything you do.