snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Police Blotter

Old 30 November 2014, 04:58 AM

Default Officer hugs boy at Ore. Ferguson protest

PORTLAND, Ore. A touching photo of a white police officer hugging an African-American boy at a Portland protest this week has drawn heavy attention on social media.
http://www.policeone.com/police-hero...guson-protest/
Old 30 November 2014, 05:00 AM

More information here, quoting the mother's facebook post:
Quote:
"He trembled holding a Free Hugs sign as he bravely stood alone in front of the police barricade. ... After a while, one of the officers approached him and extended his hand. Their interaction was uncomfortable at first. ... [Then] he asked Devonte why he was crying. His response about his concerns regarding the level of police brutality towards young black kids was met with an unexpected and seemingly authentic (to Devonte), 'Yes. *sigh* I know. I'm sorry. I'm sorry.' The officer then asked if he could have one of his hugs."
The vulnerability on that child's face is heart wrenching.
Old 30 November 2014, 12:36 PM

The site you posted is for law enforcement professionals. In the comments they're getting together to send patches to an officer in Portland to deliver to Devonte (and they suggest he become an officer when he's 21). I thought that was quite nice. Sounds like he's going to get at least four or five.
Old 30 November 2014, 02:56 PM

It's not a panacea, and he'll still get stopped more than if he were a white boy, and have to deal with that. But it took a lot of courage on both sides for that moment to happen. I'm proud of Devonte for standing there, holding his sign, and letting his emotions show. I'm proud of Sgt. Barnum for (almost literally) breaking ranks to go talk to Devonte, for acknowledging the problem and saying he was sorry, and for asking if the free hugs included him. It won't change things by magic, but it is how things can change.
Old 30 November 2014, 04:23 PM

It's especially touching given the issues that Portland has had with police brutality in recent years.