snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 25 November 2015, 07:52 PM

Default 'Lost in Space' getting a reboot on Netflix

Quote:
(CNN) If Netflix has its way, we will once again hear the words "Danger, Will Robinson!"
http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/23/entert...ix-reboot-feat
Old 26 November 2015, 12:24 AM

Borg

.... well given the quality of both the source material and the LAST attempt at a reboot, it does have a rather low bar to clear.
Old 26 November 2015, 12:35 AM

They key, to me, will be the casting and characterization of Dr. Smith.

And he MUST insult the Robot with Shakespearean barbs at every opportunity.
Old 26 November 2015, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebochan View Post
.... well given the quality of both the source material and the LAST attempt at a reboot, it does have a rather low bar to clear.
You forgot the movie.
Old 26 November 2015, 02:41 PM

I assumed the movie was the reboot.
Old 26 November 2015, 04:12 PM

:small voice: I liked the original TV show and the movie too. I guess as far as the movie goes I was in a minority though.
Old 27 November 2015, 05:35 AM

TV

From the OP:
Quote:
It was rebooted once before in a 1998 feature film that got a bad reception.
The OP article seems to be unaware of the second attempt to reboot Lost in Space. From Wikipedia:
Quote:
In late 2003, a new television series, with a somewhat changed format, was in development in the U.S. It originally was intended to be closer to the original pilot with no Smith, but including a robot, had an additional older Robinson child called David, and Penny was a mere baby. The pilot (titled, The Robinsons: Lost in Space) was commissioned by The WB Television Network. It was directed by John Woo and produced by Synthesis Entertainment, Irwin Allen Productions, Twentieth Century Fox Television and Regency Television.

{ snip }

It was not among the network's series pick-ups confirmed later that year.

The producers of the new Battlestar Galactica show bought the show's sets. They were redesigned the next year and used for scenes on the Battlestar Pegasus.
If you go to YouTube and search for "Lost in Space remake" you can watch the pilot. Click here to watch part one. (The uploader has disabled embedding.)

Also unmentioned by the OP was that this third reboot was announced last year. However, it was in limbo until this week when Netflix announced that they had picked it up. One thing that is still unclear to me is what sort of commitment Netflix has made. For example, will this just be a pilot or have they committed to a full season?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
They key, to me, will be the casting and characterization of Dr. Smith.
I've watched the following video over a dozen times but it still makes me laugh.

Brian
Old 27 November 2015, 02:59 PM

No Doctor Smith? No thank you! No wonder that pilot didn't make it!
Old 27 November 2015, 05:46 PM

Was Smith really that popular of a character?

I remember the few times I saw LiS reruns as a kid, I always wound up hoping that he'd get eaten by the episode's monster.
Old 27 November 2015, 05:52 PM

Icon204

As a child, no, I don't think anyone was "supposed" to like Dr. Smith. He was a sniveling, greedy coward. Originally he was supposed to be a much darker, sinister character, but that didn't wash apparently and Jonathan Harris took him in a completely different direction.

But I can't imagine a Lost in Space version without him. Oh! The pain! THE PAIN! [Swoons]
Old 27 November 2015, 06:29 PM

Now, to me it's like imagining Scooby Doo without Scrappy.
Old 27 November 2015, 06:44 PM

[JonathanHarris] What? Why, you perfidious pile of pretentious parts! How daaaare you speak so negatively about the Great Doctor Zachary Smith? I'll have you know that back on Earth he was hailed as a genius! I genius I sayyy! *Walks off in a huff... in the wrong direction... and quickly marches back into the Jupiter 2* [/JonathanHarris]

Old 27 November 2015, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
:small voice: I liked the original TV show and the movie too. I guess as far as the movie goes I was in a minority though.
I liked the movie too. I saw it in theaters and own the DVD.

I was never big into the show; thought it was too silly. By the time I discovered the re-runs on cable I was more into the more serious sci-fi like the various Star Trek series and the original Battlestar Galactica.
Old 28 November 2015, 02:24 AM

At an SF convention I saw Jonathan Harris in a Q&A session with a large audience. A young woman said his voice was charming and asked if he were British. He responded, "Oh, no, my dear....just terribly affected."
Old 29 November 2015, 03:24 AM

I have been told this second-hand story (from a long-time SF geek who heard it, supposedly, from Harris himself): Dr. Smith's character was originally supposed to have been a temporary one - evil Commie spy who disrupts the J-2 mission and lasts long enough to jeopardize everyone, before being killed off. Harris realized that a long-term paycheck was much preferable to a short-term one, made the character his own, and ensured his continued appearance and a place in SF TV history.

So, if a reboot were to hearken back to the original concept... then either no Dr. ZS or else a briefly-appearing one would make sense.

I liked LIS when I was a kid... when there was little SF on TV and most of it wasn't really very good. Nostalgia held true to form and recent viewings of episodes don't, for me, hold up very well at all. I liked some aspects of the movie, but overall was disappointed. I don't think a LIS reboot, no matter how well done, is going to bring much to the table that hasn't already been done in bits and pieces by a dozen other SF TV shows over the last 25-30 years.

I'll likely watch at least a few episodes, though, and I wouldn't doubt the real possibility that I'll enjoy it. I just don't see much of a point, is all. Aside from cha-ching!$$$$$, of course.
Old 29 November 2015, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crius of CoH View Post
I have been told this second-hand story (from a long-time SF geek who heard it, supposedly, from Harris himself): Dr. Smith's character was originally supposed to have been a temporary one - evil Commie spy who disrupts the J-2 mission and lasts long enough to jeopardize everyone, before being killed off. Harris realized that a long-term paycheck was much preferable to a short-term one, made the character his own, and ensured his continued appearance and a place in SF TV history.
You might want to keep in mind that neither Dr Smith nor the Robot were part of the original pilot. In the original episode, there wasn't any sabotage, just poor planning on everyone's part (and a complete lack of a useful computer). They crash, and then have several adventures on the planet.
Old 07 March 2018, 03:15 AM

The trailer is here:

A somewhat different take on what...appears to be the robot?

And, while I admit I was never a particular fan of the original show, the little piano riff at the very end is a very nice moment.
Old 07 March 2018, 03:43 AM

"A radiation wave hit me. I got shot through a wormhole. Now I'm lost in some distant part of the universe..."
Old 07 March 2018, 03:52 AM

Icon220

Oh, and according to IMDB, Dr. Smith is being played by Parker Posey.

[queue outraged screaming from the anti-PC crowd...]
Old 07 March 2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
And, while I admit I was never a particular fan of the original show, the little piano riff at the very end is a very nice moment.
Of course it's awesome! It's John Williams!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrVt8Ix7Eoo