snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Police Blotter

Old 09 July 2014, 03:30 AM

Default ‘I Feel Like Killing Someone’: Police Say Man Beaten to Death in Front of Crowd

Quote:
SAN ANTONIO, Texas (CBS Houston) – A man was beaten to death in front of a crowd of people at an Amtrak Station Thursday.

San Antonio Police arrested 21-year-old Michael Joseph Fobbs for approaching a man sitting on a bench alone and fatally beating him.
http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/07/...mtrak-station/
Old 09 July 2014, 03:33 AM

It always chills me when people do something like this in front of a crowd. I understand the psychology of crowds, but...how long does it take to beat someone to death with your fists, and why, in that time, does the crowd do so little? Someone apparently did alert security, but still.
Old 09 July 2014, 04:07 AM

Should a civilian off the street really have to risk engaging an obviously unstable, obviously dangerous person who is already being violent? Calling for help seems like the best course of action, lest the scene end with two victims instead of one.
Old 09 July 2014, 04:17 AM

One person might be putting themselves at risk, but a few acting together? I find it horrifying that people would stand and watch particularly when there was no weapon involved.
Old 09 July 2014, 04:21 AM

Baseball

I'm finding it hard to judge. I didn't see the incident. I'd like to think that I would interfere and try to stop it.

But I'm also sure that I can't judge people for not doing it.

Too tough to call.
Old 09 July 2014, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
I'm finding it hard to judge. I didn't see the incident. I'd like to think that I would interfere and try to stop it.

But I'm also sure that I can't judge people for not doing it.

Too tough to call.
I agree, you don't know how quick the attack was or how close people were, then there is the imponderables, such as the nagging feeling that the whole thing is a TV set-up or the fear that both parties may turn on you (Has happened in some cases of people intervening to stop a wife beating.).
Old 09 July 2014, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
One person might be putting themselves at risk, but a few acting together? I find it horrifying that people would stand and watch particularly when there was no weapon involved.
When it's a crowd of strangers with no clear authority figure or person to take charge, everyone tends to wait for someone else to make the first move. You don't know if you'll be left unsupported if you try to go first.
Old 09 July 2014, 07:11 AM

Theme Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I find it horrifying that people would stand and watch particularly when there was no weapon involved.
Don't worry, they didn't just watch, at least one person had to have filmed it.
Old 09 July 2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Pink Pill View Post
Now I'm even sadder about the whole thing .
Old 09 July 2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Why? I don't see that in the article.
Old 09 July 2014, 04:31 PM

I think it was sarcasm.
Old 09 July 2014, 04:36 PM

Filming it would provide evidence of what happened. I don't see that as a bad thing as long as authorities were also called. It would also put one at risk of being targeted by the perpetrator. So I don't get the frowny face about it had someone done it.

As for the perpetrator not having a weapon, all that the bystanders likely knew was that he wasn't using a weapon at the time. People getting involved to the point of intervening really depends on so many factors that I can't see blaming people for not doing it. Blaming people who stand by and just watch, without calling authorities, yes. Not intervening and putting oneself at risk? It requires the right set of circumstances to happen, I think.
Old 09 July 2014, 04:37 PM

I'm not sure filming it would be something to criticize people for. If you're too afraid to get physically involved (and I blame no one for that), filming it (after calling the police) may be the best recourse for justice.

ETA: spanked by erwins.
Old 09 July 2014, 05:14 PM

As long as no one films it...
Old 09 July 2014, 05:18 PM

There are quite a few scenarios I can imagine where people on the street might just assume that a fight on the street, even a "many against one" situation, is not only not their concern, but justified.

Think of the incident where a motorist stopped to aid an injured person (especially a person injured by a vehicle), only to face a lynch mob because they were assumed to have caused the accident. Many people will think this is justified. Even if nobody saw the accident, the rumor may spread so far that by the time there are 10 people standing around, and 4 of them beating a hapless victim, the next person walking up to it may very well believe that at least one of the people involved was an eyewitness, based upon what they see, and what the other people are saying.

Imagine now a group two or three men beating up another man in public - one of the group members says "this guy assaulted/raped/robbed my female friend/relative/child" - the sympathies of the average passerby will be with the crowd administering vigilante justice.

I have also met a few people who work as "event security" and bouncers - they will occasionally not get involved in what they perceive to be a "fair fight" or if they have some inside knowledge that it is justified, even though this is both against policy and bad for business.

Fear may cause people to walk away from a "lynch mob" or fight, but there are quite a few situations where people may be, unfortunately, supportive of what is happening.
Old 09 July 2014, 05:25 PM

Old 09 July 2014, 09:32 PM

It was sarcasm, though I understand that heroism can get you killed and filming can be done for altruistic purposes.

The sad face was for the guy who died.

ETA- I had just finished watching this video of a group of people laughing and filming while knowing a swimmer was coming up on a 7 foot great white shark hooked on a fishing line. They failed to warn anyone until after the swimmer was bitten. It probably wasn't fair to mix the two stories in my head, but it was a fresh example that not everyone stands back and films as an act of courage.

Last edited by Little Pink Pill; 09 July 2014 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09 July 2014, 09:39 PM

Quote:
It was sarcasm
D'oh, never mind then. Thought I'd missed something in the article.
Old 09 July 2014, 09:42 PM

I should have put a fish instead of a sad face.
Old 11 July 2014, 01:23 PM

No description or mention of race in this race obsessed media... therefore we know
exactly the race of the killer.

I should also point out, the hypocrisy that is so prevalent in the Main Stream Media, if a European killed a Blackman in such a manner you would never hear the end of it.