snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Entertainment

Old 21 February 2007, 09:52 PM
matches

Royalty World Changing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
I grant you I was sick last week and spent a lot of time with my 4 Golden Collections, but I didn't memorize every blasted word on 'em.

Chuck says who it was. I don't remember. I didn't think (and don't think) it's of world changing importance. I just thought the little tidbit about where the J. came from was interesting.

Seaboe
No not world changing, but if it was Jay Ward, working as a young animator at the Warner Stuido, it would in a strange circular way support the legend I had heard with regard to the proliferation of middle Js in cartoons.
Old 21 February 2007, 10:07 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by matches View Post
No not world changing, but if it was Jay Ward, working as a young animator at the Warner Stuido, it would in a strange circular way support the legend I had heard with regard to the proliferation of middle Js in cartoons.
Ah. I see where you're coming from. No, Chuck said it was years later and that it was an interview, not a coworker.

Other than that, I suppose it could've been Jay Ward, but I think that name would've stuck in my consciousness.

Seaboe.
Old 21 February 2007, 10:28 PM
matches

Icon202 Ahhh...

Quote:
Ah. I see where you're coming from. No, Chuck said it was years later and that it was an interview, not a coworker.

Other than that, I suppose it could've been Jay Ward, but I think that name would've stuck in my consciousness.

Seaboe.
So the name wasn't coined at the time of the Frog's creation, but later...well I am going to have to pick up these dvd's myself now.

Thanks,
Old 21 February 2007, 10:47 PM

Quote:
It's not in the scripts. It's a sound effect. One of the background painters, I think it was, used to make the sound in the halls when he needed to pass someone and was carrying something large. Treg Brown hauled him off to the recording area and recorded the sound.

So no, it's not the spelling that counts.

Seaboe
I would bet that he was saying beep beep and it was speed up slighly. It is irrelivant because what Warner Brothers says is whats official.

Again From Wikipedia:

Quote:
The source of the Road Runner's "Beep-Beep" was a mystery for many years. Warner Bros. animation screenwriter Michael Maltese and background painter Paul Julian, who worked for Friz Freleng's unit, told animation historian Michael Barrier on the DVD commentary of the "Looney Tunes Golden Collection" series that Julian did the voice.
Julian first made the noise around the Warner Bros. lot (imitating a car horn) as a lighthearted means of getting people out of his way when he was in a hurry. At the producers' request, Julian performed several variations of the sound at a single recording session. Editor Treg Brown then sped up and looped some of them to make even more versions.
The Beep Beep was sped up/altered.

also: Source
Quote:
Although commonly quoted as "meep meep", Warner Brothers, the current owner of all trademarks relating to the duo, lists "Beep! Beep!" as the Road Runner's sound.
But again, we are dealing with semantics, and its a non issue.
Old 21 February 2007, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post
But again, we are dealing with semantics, and its a non issue.
Heresy!

I guess the official story would explain why the Time-Warner ads say beep-beep. But I think DD and I will still yell at the TV.
Old 22 February 2007, 12:35 AM

I though I was the only one who got mad at those commercials. I don't care how it's spelled, I only care that it doesn't sound like the "rea"l road runner.
Old 22 February 2007, 03:08 PM

I can't believe I've never heard Wile E. Coyote speak! In a way I'm kinda glad. What does his voice sound like?
Old 22 February 2007, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
I can't believe I've never heard Wile E. Coyote speak! In a way I'm kinda glad. What does his voice sound like?
Somewhat like a distinguished gentleman would talk. I dont have a link to a wav file handy, but I am sure somebody does.
Old 22 February 2007, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judecat View Post
I though I was the only one who got mad at those commercials. I don't care how it's spelled, I only care that it doesn't sound like the "rea"l road runner.
I'm relieved to hear that DD and I aren't the only ones.
Old 22 February 2007, 04:34 PM

Glasses

Quote:
I would bet that he was saying beep beep and it was speed up slighly. It is irrelivant because what Warner Brothers says is whats official.
What's official and what's true are two different things. If Paul Julian says he wasn't saying "beep beep" (and there is an interview clip of him on one of the disks where he talks about it), then no matter what WB claims, I'm going to take the word of the man who made the sound over the corporate bigwigs.

I guess we'll just continue to disagree.

Seaboe
Old 22 February 2007, 05:46 PM
Fujicakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
He speaks in one of the cartoons that involve him with Bugs Bunny instead of the Road Runner. Or was it just that only one where they were matched up?
Old 22 February 2007, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujicakes View Post
He speaks in one of the cartoons that involve him with Bugs Bunny instead of the Road Runner. Or was it just that only one where they were matched up?

He speaks in one of my favorites as well. There was one with two little boys watching the roadrunner and coyote on television, and one of the boys wonders out loud why the coyote would want to eat the roadrunner. Wile E. shows the boys a diagram and details the various flavors in different parts of the roadrunner (banana, papaya, pistachio, licorice, etc.). Then he shows them several roadrunner recipes.
Old 14 March 2007, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujicakes View Post
This is probably the one I'm thinking of, too. Wile E. shows up at Bugs' rabbit hole, erects a door so that he has something to knock on, and says, "Allow me to introduce myself. Wile E. Coyote, Genius." Later, in the same short, he changes that to, "Wile E. Coyote, Suuuper Genius!"

By the way, in an early episode of Andromeda, Harper (the engineer), after doing something or other that was amazingly clever, says to Beka (I think), "Allow to introduce myself. Seamus Harper, Suuuper Genius!" I always wondered if that was in the script, or if Gordon Michael Woolvett ad libbed that bit.
Old 24 July 2014, 06:52 AM

Quote:
No there were actually FIVE times where he was paired with Bugs Bunny:

"Operation: Rabbit," "To Hare Is Human," "Rabbit's Feat," "Compressed Hare," and "Hare-Breadth Hurry."

That first one that most of you are talking about (where he makes the door to talk to Bugs) is "Operation: Rabbit," the first time the Coyote speaks and reveals his whole name. This was just his second appearance.
Old 29 July 2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Its a joke on the pronciation of "Wiley" I say there is no deep meaning to the middle name.
This is what I'd always thought because of his business card. Even as a kid I got the "wiley" reference.

Old 29 July 2014, 07:37 PM

It's a play on "wily," not "wiley." :-)
Old 30 July 2014, 11:48 PM

Old 05 August 2014, 02:00 AM

Tsk, Tsk

Wile E. Coyote's middle initial probably doesn't stand for any name at all. It's may be sort of like Harry S. Truman's middle initial. It doesn't stand for anything.

Barb Rainey