snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 25 September 2013, 02:42 PM

Default We've come a short way, baby

As these man on the street interviews suggest, feminism has become a dirty word, conjuring up images of angry, bitter, entitled lesbians (?) who persist in unnecessarily demanding privileges that they either don't need or already have.

To me, feminism isn't about putting anyone down or advancing at someone else's expense; it's about leveling the playing field. And it's just one component of a larger principle: if someone wants to do something and has the necessary skills/training/qualifications to do it to an acceptable degree, that person should be allowed to do it and not be penalized socially, professionally, or financially in the process. And this principle, in my mind, applies equally to men and women.

Is that feminism, specifically? IDK.
Old 25 September 2013, 03:01 PM

It's the same well-funded right-wing smear machine* that has turned "liberal" into a slur in many circles and has so many people against Obamacare yet for all the major aspects of the Affordable Health Care act.

The reason creating a strawwomyn** is so often used is because it is such an effective tactic. Especially when you can get a large segment to listen to nothing but the side that created the strawwomyn so they never hear the actual arguments from the other side.

ETA: And of course, there is the rule that controversy sells. Why put a reasonable feminist on when you can create a controversy by finding the 0.1% extremists like Andrea Dworkin?

* IMO, Limbaugh was the major pusher in recent years with his creation of "femi-nazis", but he's by far and away not the only one.
** TIC

Last edited by GenYus234; 25 September 2013 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03 October 2013, 06:22 PM

While I'm surprised by some of the remarks in that video, I wonder if those people represent the majority. Okay, I guess men would be less interested in feminism than women. But it should be obvious to anybody that not all feminists are lesbians, who all hate men and children. And what can I say about that couple, where the wife was afraid to call herself a feminist, and the husband said the man should be head of the household? Something didn't feel right there...

Last edited by Furienna; 03 October 2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03 October 2013, 07:14 PM

Way to be, Anthony!
Old 04 October 2013, 03:31 PM

Can't watch the video right now but I'm usually pretty skeptical of 'person on the street' interviews as even if they are real/true it would still be easy to just pick the crazy ones and ignore all the normal responses.
Old 04 October 2013, 03:40 PM

I don't need a person-on-the-street interview to convince me that many people consider "feminist" a dirty word. I can't count how many times I've heard women say "I'm not a feminist but [insert feminist position on X issue]" or acknowledge, apologetically, that something they just said "sounds like feminism." Or heard/read men or women wield the word like a slur. Or heard/read people arguing, in all seriousness, that feminists hate men and want to destroy them. Etc. etc. etc.
Old 04 October 2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Blue View Post
Can't watch the video right now but I'm usually pretty skeptical of 'person on the street' interviews as even if they are real/true it would still be easy to just pick the crazy ones and ignore all the normal responses.
How about a Huffington Post poll (pdf) where only 20% of people identified themselves as feminists, 37% thought the word was a negative term (compared to 26% who thought it was a positive term) but where 82% thought that men and women should be political, social, and economic equals?
Old 04 October 2013, 03:52 PM

Oh I don't disagree that many people misunderstand the concept of feminism (I do sometimes think that a rebranding may be necessary*), just that crazy comments by people on the street are not necessarily indicative of the average commenter (even if the average one mistakenly doesn't feel they are a feminist).

*Something that suggests a more general concept of equality, rather than something that has an obvious female focus. Sort of like we have the term "Civil rights" rather than "Black rights, hispanic rights, catholic rights, atheist rights, gay rights**, transvestite rights, etc, etc"

**To be fair this one is used a lot in mainstream media
Old 10 October 2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
..heard/read people arguing, in all seriousness, that feminists hate men and want to destroy them. Etc. etc. etc.
"I don't hate all men. How could I have met all men..." (Thanks to Bridget Christie)...

20 years ago a fellow student told me that although she was impressed that I called myself a feminist, she couldn't be one "because I want to have children one day." Of course I shouldn't have told her about how they come in the middle of the night and take away your ovaries if you use the F-word. I'm more circumspect now.
Old 10 October 2013, 12:19 PM

Damn. This is gonna be tricky to explain to my daughter. . . maybe Hillary Clinton can tell me how she explained it to Chelsea.
Old 10 October 2013, 02:08 PM

Don't feminists procreate via mitosis, like Staphylococcus bacteria or other harmful organisms?
Old 10 October 2013, 03:58 PM

Hello Kitty

No, we force men to bear our children, seahorse style.
Old 10 October 2013, 07:25 PM

"Seahorse style" now an earworm to the tune of Gangnam Style. Weird