snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Techno-Babble

Old 21 February 2018, 06:28 AM

Heavt breathing Temperature in Denver plummets 72 degrees in 40 hours, officials say

Sitting at a mile above sea level and in the shadow of the Rocky Mountains, Denver is known for having an extreme climate. But the most recent temperature swing ranked as one of the biggest ever observed.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2018/02/2...ing-in-denver/
Old 22 February 2018, 12:52 AM

Deer

Am I right in thinking this is only 22 on the Celcius scale?

22nd October, 2015, the temp in Melbourne dropped 11C (51.8F) in 90 seconds.

14th January, 2016, the temperature had dropped from 42C (107F) the previous day to 17C (62F).
Old 22 February 2018, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
Am I right in thinking this is only 22 on the Celcius scale?
No, a temperature drop of 72F converts to a drop of 40C. Each degree of temperature change on the Celsius scale corresponds to 1.8 degrees on the Fahrenheit scale, and 72/1.8=40. Alternatively, you can convert the temperature values before doing the subtraction: the temperature dropped from 69F (21C) to -3F (-19C).

You probably forgot to account for the fact that the zero point differs between the two scales (0F=18C and 32F=0C), so that the formula to convert between temperature scales differs based on whether you're converting a specific temperature reading or a difference between two temperatures. The temperature 72F would indeed correspond to the temperature 22C ((72-32)/1.8=22), due to the different zero points of the scales.

Interestingly, the specific values in this article happen to line up perfectly with another useful comparison point between the temperature scales--the fact that -40F=-40C. This temperature drop was of the same magnitude as dropping from the freezing point of water (32F=0C) to -40 on either scale.
Old 22 February 2018, 04:01 AM

I guess I should stop complaining. We went from highs in the 80s to highs in the 50s seemingly overnight, and this delicate LA orchid is wilting.
Old 22 February 2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyx_TKD View Post
You probably forgot to account for the fact that the zero point differs between the two scales (0F=18C and 32F=0C),

0F is -18C. You forgot the minus sign.

OY
Old 22 February 2018, 06:38 PM

Icon22

Quote:

14th January, 2016, the temperature had dropped from 42C (107F) the previous day to 17C (62F).
From bathing suits to long johns all in one day! There's been crazy temperature drops in this area as well, but I don't recall anything like that!
Old 23 February 2018, 12:44 AM

Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
From bathing suits to long johns all in one day! There's been crazy temperature drops in this area as well, but I don't recall anything like that!
Melbourne is famous for it's changeable weather. We even have a saying: "If you don't like the weather, wait half an hour."
Old 23 February 2018, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Melbourne is famous for it's changeable weather. We even have a saying: "If you don't like the weather, wait half an hour."
Several thousand places around the world have that saying.

~Psihala
(*Just sayin'.)
Old 23 February 2018, 12:43 PM

Yup. I've been hearing it all my life in Ohio.
Old 23 February 2018, 02:13 PM

Ditto in New York.

I might also add that you could try moving over a few miles, or even a few hundred feet, as around here both the amount of precipitation and to a lesser degree the temperature can significantly vary over small distances.

-- it's my impression that there are places in the world where it is fairly predictably dry and hot for long stretches, or wet for long stretches, or not all that different year around. I might be wrong about that, though.
Old 23 February 2018, 02:38 PM

Don't know how you'd compare stability, but the Phoenix metropolitan area seems to have pretty stable weather. It was cool and sunny yesterday, it will be cool and sunny today, it is supposed to be cool and sunny until Tuesday and Wednesday when it may be cool and rainy. Then it will warm up a bit and be partially sunny for a week or so.

ETA: From May to October it will be very warm, hot, freaking hot, still hot, "g-damn, it's hot", a few weeks of "it is pouring rain down, why is it still hot?!?", "hot", "OMG why is it still hot!?!", "hot", finishing up with "why am I sweating on Halloween?"
Old 25 February 2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
My friend posted a picture on Facebook:
Quote:
Me: Washington, you can't possibly fit all 4 seasons in one day.
Washington: Hold my beer.
Yep, it's everywhere. And I wouldn't mind a few of the other seasons. We went below freezing on Friday, and we're going to stay there for the next week. And not just a little bit. Negative double digits is not my idea of fun.

Last edited by Die Capacitrix; 25 February 2018 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Take the opportunity to complain about the cold. :)
Old 25 February 2018, 12:34 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Don't know how you'd compare stability, but the Phoenix metropolitan area seems to have pretty stable weather. It was cool and sunny yesterday, it will be cool and sunny today, it is supposed to be cool and sunny until Tuesday and Wednesday when it may be cool and rainy. Then it will warm up a bit and be partially sunny for a week or so.

ETA: From May to October it will be very warm, hot, freaking hot, still hot, "g-damn, it's hot", a few weeks of "it is pouring rain down, why is it still hot?!?", "hot", "OMG why is it still hot!?!", "hot", finishing up with "why am I sweating on Halloween?"
Followed by "why is it still 90 at Thanksgiving?"