snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 07 June 2018, 07:31 AM

Default Behind The News is 50 years old

For those who missed it due to either time or not living in the country, this is the retrospective.

Iíll admit that I only really watched the show during Grades 6 and 7 (1994-5). That said, I do subscribe to the YouTube channel.

Also, while Iím aware that the UK has Newsround, does America have anything like this show?
Old 08 June 2018, 08:12 AM

I also you only really watch in grade 6 and 7, but for me this was in 1981 and 1982. It would give a more rounded story on the issues then the current affairs shows for adults on the commercial networks. I used to watch it a little bit when I was the Audio-visual technician for a girls school, although even though it was a p to 12 school, I mainly did stuff for the high school (8-12) and it was mainly for the latter years of primary school (primary school is 1 to 7 so it was mostly for grades 6 and 7) But I think the lower high school grades would get some use from it.
Old 09 June 2018, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
(primary school is 1 to 7 so it was mostly for grades 6 and 7)
These days, itís Prep-6, with 7 being high school.
Old 10 June 2018, 01:05 AM

I remember it from what must have been grade 4 (age 9-ish) given the location, although I think I may also have seen it at my previous school.
Old 10 June 2018, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusenkyo no Pikachu View Post
These days, it’s Prep-6, with 7 being high school.
Yeah I was aware that was going to change but I have been out of the education system for a few year now. The school I was working at was changing what once was the science and home economics block (in fact the science class rooms I looked after) into the "grade 7 precinct" when I left. So even though they were now part of the high school, they were separate in some way. At least in the school I was working at.

But it still stands for my involvement in education both as a student and as a teacher aid, high school was 8 to 12.
I will also add that both of the high schools that I did my schooling at, in addition to the above school are now all p to 12. And it seems to be the way private schools are going.

When I was editing it for my previous job I did often think though it was mainly used in grades 6 and 7, there were stories that would have been of use for older grades due to their curriculum.
Old 10 June 2018, 07:55 AM

And I realise that is 2 years older then I am. If asked I would have guessed it having started only a few years before I would watch it. That is late 70's or early 80's