snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 30 May 2018, 03:28 AM

The ‘Roseanne’ saga mirrors the Trump story. Let’s hope they end the same.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.ab906f8ad0b5
Old 30 May 2018, 04:56 AM

Trevor Noah on Roseanne's racist tweet: "You know who I blame for this? Donald Trump. Because he makes all of his supporters think they're as impervious as he is. He's like Superman telling people to follow his lead. 'We can all stand in front of a speeding train!' Splat Splat splat splat. 'Wasn't so bad, was it?'"
Old 30 May 2018, 07:33 AM

Since I live in Missouri my feed today alternation between Rosanne's cancelation and our governor's resignation. They are forever linked in my poor brain.
Old 30 May 2018, 09:07 AM

Nice to hear some voices of reason:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1A8xdLEzpY
Old 30 May 2018, 12:04 PM

Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
"But I said I was sorry I tweeted that, that's supposed to absolve me of any responsibility or consequences."

How about being on Ambien?

"I should have known better" well duh! I don't know if she was trying to be cute or funny, but she was neither. This is a worse debacle since the whole Star Spangled Banner rendition back in the 90s.

Things You Shouldn't Have To Tell People: calling someone an ape/monkey/some non-human primate is neither funny, cute or an oops! my bad! moment.
Old 30 May 2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
It was Gilbert, Goodman and Metcalfe that I seriously wondered about. The other cast members don't seem to have worked much in the entertainment industry since the original Roseanne - can't really blame them for jumping at the reboot. The others though, I just don't know what they were seeing beside $$ signs.
And Johnny Galeck (? spelling).

That was the main reason I tried to watch the first episode. Yes I said tired. To see who had come back. Cause those we have mentioned have pretty successful current careers.

And also to see how they explained that weird final season of the original run of the show, not to mention that frankly bazaar final show.

This has been big news in Oz. Mostly the shows I have watched have been in agreement with the cancelling.

I admit I did watch the original show back day, it wasn't until the watched it in repeats that I noticed how aggressive Roseanne was and how she could make nasty comments about characters but they couldn't return the aggression.

I did notice that Becky husband hadn't returned, he had died. Did the actor say "Thank-you but no" I wonder? (Goggling today would get very little on the original run of the show or on anything to do with it but stories on the cancelling of it I am guessing.)
Old 30 May 2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post

I did notice that Becky husband hadn't returned, he had died. Did the actor say "Thank-you but no" I wonder? (Goggling today would get very little on the original run of the show or on anything to do with it but stories on the cancelling of it I am guessing.)
Sadly the actor who played Mark (Becky's husband) died, IIRC it was a drug overdose. One of the criticisms of the reboot was that while they state that Mark, the character, died, they never address what happened to him. A lot of people who tuned in to the reboot did so because they loved the original and were invested in the family and wanted to know what happened to them so not letting the audience know what happened to Mark annoyed many of the viewers. Of course not as annoying as realizing once and for all that Roseanne is a really terrible person, but there you go.
Old 30 May 2018, 04:39 PM

I saw another piece describing Roseanne as the perfect model of a Trump voter: we have Roseanne the character who claims to have voted for him for economic reasons, and then we have Roseanne the actress who voted for him because she's a vile conspiracy wingnut.
Old 30 May 2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Sheesh! But I'm still curious - did the show get cancelled because he said that or is this something he and his fans are claiming as the reason for the cancellation?
There were other reason for his showing being cancelled. Probably most important was that the ABC didn't own the show, Fox does. In general after the initial contract runs out networks are leery of keeping a show they don't own because they don't make much money off of it.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ti...litical-views/
Old 30 May 2018, 06:00 PM

Default Barr Blames Ambien For Tweet; Drug Maker Replies

Roseanne Barr is partly blaming Ambien for the tweet that led to her show’s cancellation, but the maker of the insomnia drug quickly retorted that “racism is not a known side effect.”

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2018/05/3...rr-abc-ambien/

Edit: The above oddly seems to be a 'story about a story'... here's the origin story which has much more content:

Ambien Maker Responds To Roseanne Barr: ‘Racism Is Not A Known Side Effect’
Old 30 May 2018, 06:00 PM

In case anyone wonders where Tim Allen is on the continuum, in 2013 he gave an interview where he explained that he used the n-word in his act, insisted that the phrase "the n-word" is worse than the word itself, he used the word itself multiple times, and he insisted that there was nothing wrong with his use of the word, because he wasn't using it against anyone and he's not a racist.

This article has more extensive quotes than the one I saw before. It's even worse than I described it. https://thegrio.com/2013/07/29/tim-a...ong-its-funny/

He refers to it being "confusing to the European mind"....

Last edited by erwins; 30 May 2018 at 06:13 PM.
Old 30 May 2018, 06:11 PM

Trump has now weighed in and, unsurprisingly, it's all about him .

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/30/trum...ist-tweet.html
Old 30 May 2018, 06:12 PM

Roll eyes

Quote:
— Will President Trump comment at all?
Funny you should ask:

Trump on Roseanne controversy: Why hasn't ABC apologized to me?

President Donald Trump made his first comments about the Roseanne Barr controversy on Wednesday, criticizing ABC for apologizing to the former Obama adviser targeted by Barr in a racist tweet and claiming the network has ignored "horrible" remarks made about him.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/whi...zed-me-n878566
Old 30 May 2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psihala View Post
Roseanne Barr is partly blaming Ambien for the tweet that led to her show’s cancellation, but the maker of the insomnia drug quickly retorted that “racism is not a known side effect.”
If there's any truth to her claim, I'm going with the same explanation I used with Mel Gibson and his alcohol-blamed anti Semitic remarks, in vino veritas.
Old 30 May 2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
If there's any truth to her claim, I'm going with the same explanation I used with Mel Gibson and his alcohol-blamed anti Semitic remarks, in vino veritas.
I was thinking the same thing when I heard the Ambien excuse.
Old 30 May 2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errata View Post
It's considered a drama, though. The question was about sitcoms.

There are a few shows that skew conservative, but most of them aren't comedies.
Gotcha. I had missed that specific word being used.

I don't really watch regular TV in general and mainly stick to Netflix/Amazon Prime and even with that a lot of them aren't American made series, so I'm sure there are a ton of sitcoms I haven't heard of or watched.

I haven't watched Duck Dynasty...but I'm sure a reality show doesn't count as a sitcom either. Nope. I've got nothing for a sitcom then.
Old 30 May 2018, 10:46 PM

Count on the Onion to make me laugh and hurt at the same time:

ABC Criticized For Unrealistic Portrayal Of Racists Actually Facing Consequences
Old 30 May 2018, 11:16 PM

On another message board someone just posted a rant about how "wussified" the US has become because the whole country is in "turmoil" about one woman's tweets. There was a lot more than that - along with the obligatory "I'm not a racist but..." and I expect the comment will be deleted any minute. Anyway the reason I bring this up is - seriously? People are not in turmoil here. A woman posted a racist rant and lost her job and cost a lot of other people their jobs. It's being talked about because the show itself was a huge success and it was hard to believe that ABC would actually take this step. But no one is having a case of the vapours and rolling their eyes over their scented handkerchief because a nasty person said some nasty things.
Old 30 May 2018, 11:39 PM

I'm sure that person was even more alarmed about the reaction to Michelle Wolf's correspondents dinner remarks last month, because there's no way that they would be a hypocrite about it.
Old 31 May 2018, 12:13 AM

Another odd factor is the sheer speed at which the show was cancelled. Mark Evanier has speculated that they may have been prepared beforehand:

Quote:
Deciding to ax one of your most popular shows is not an action taken on impulse. It's the kind of thing you run past a lot of people including lawyers to determine any unforeseen legal complications. It would usually take a day or three…unless some execs there had already asked the musical question "What do we do if Roseanne returns to her old antics?"