snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Moot Court

Old 02 April 2013, 07:54 PM

Icon97 Mother, 22, sues abortion clinic after doctors 'failed to terminate pregnancy'

An Ohio mother-of-two is suing an abortion clinic after it failed to terminate her pregnancy.

Ariel Knights, 22, and her fiance adore their 'miracle baby' daughter who was born in September. But doctors had originally warned the couple that a medical condition Knights suffers meant her life was at serious risk if they went ahead with the pregnancy.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...pregnancy.html
Old 02 April 2013, 08:04 PM

And the anti-abortion take-away will be that since one risky pregnancy resulted in a healthy baby and mother, that means every risky pregnancy will result in a healthy baby and mother.

I'm no expert, but I seriously doubt that "crouch over this trash bag" is SOP for most abortions.
Old 02 April 2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
I'm no expert, but I seriously doubt that "crouch over this trash bag" is SOP for most abortions.
I'm smelling a turd here, indeed. Either she is lying or that "clinic" needs to be shut down.
Old 02 April 2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:

The report said 'positioned her lower body over a trash bag' after she had got onto the couch. There really isn't anything to suggest 'crouching'.
I read it as there having been a plastic bag protecting the couch rather than some weird D&C straight into the trash can routine.
I'm not defending the Clinic, if the story is true they fouled up badly, and ought not to have been confused by the double uterus thing.
Old 03 April 2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
I don't know about abortions but the last few deliveries that I was in the room for, they do put a bio-hazard trash bag under your bottom. I just assumed this was the same.;
Old 03 April 2013, 03:07 PM

I would agree. There is often a plastic barrier or bag of sorts under patients for possibly messy procedures.
Old 03 April 2013, 05:58 PM

The way she told her story made me rather suspicious of her agenda. According to this article, she's pro-choice because of her medical condition, but her attorney appears to have a stake in the issue beyond his client's interests.
Quote:
Jim Gutbrod, an Akron attorney representing Knights, said the lawsuit is a malpractice claim that alleges the clinic and its doctor deviated from acceptable standard care. At the same time, Gutbrod, who is opposed to abortions for any reason, said he hopes the lawsuit serves as the impetus for change.

“From Ariel’s description, you can see how poorly the clinic is run and how different it is from any other medical procedure that’s done in our country,” he said. “The way they do things is horrendous.”
Old 03 April 2013, 06:22 PM

Crap. So this is nothing but a way to push yet-more TRAP laws.

Fan-freakin-tastic.
Old 03 April 2013, 06:35 PM

All the anti-abortion stuff aside, it sounds like she should have a valid malpractice claim. She had an unusual medical condition, and the clinic failed to take the appropriate steps to handle that and perform the procedure correctly, and then failed to confirm that it had been performed correctly.

Because it wasn't she endured a very difficult and dangerous pregnancy with much greater danger to herself and probably a great deal of mental anguish. It doesn't mean she doesn't want or love her daughter, it means she didn't want to endure that experience of being pregnant and the risk it posed to her.

That said, if this made it to trial and she won, I think a jury would award her very little because it seems like she's saying she wishes she didn't have her daughter, so there won't be a lot of sympathy for her. People could surprise me though.

ETA: I've also seen the red bio-hazard bags attached to the beds in the delivery room of a hospital. And I could see someone who wanted to paint that setup in the worst possible light describing it the way it was in the article.
Old 03 April 2013, 06:44 PM

Just to clarify, I didn't mean to imply her claim wasn't valid. It was just her choice of words (likening the facility to a "slaughterhouse," describing the plastic cover as a "trash bag," even calling her newborn a "miracle baby") made me wonder whether there was more to the case.
Old 04 April 2013, 10:12 PM

True, it could also be her attempting to paint the clinic in the worst possible light (including exaggerating as noted in the post above yours) and as for the miracle baby part.. Could be trying to 'safe face' so to speak with the idea that she now has a baby that she didn't previously want and actively tried to prevent.

No, it doesn't mean she doesn't love it, but I could see finding out your mom tried to abort you being.. Complex.. And I could see the reactions of some (even moreso if she hangs with the pro-life crowd) being.. Complex..