snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Closed Thread

Old 22 January 2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Don Enrico, isn't the last one **, * ***** **** *** *** *****?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
I've reproduced what I remember about those syllables. I might well be mistaken, or the original syllables are reproduced differently in English and German.
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post
It was originally **, but is now commonly ** (with ** being used for (*** ********* ********** ** * ****** ***).
I cannot speak for other languages such as german or Italian, but I know that in French it is still SI
Old 22 January 2013, 05:20 PM

Yep - I meant to add "in English," but both of you are right in that it's different in different languages. (Some English versions have also taken to rendering sol as so - I blame Julie Andrews.
Old 22 January 2013, 06:03 PM

Australia

1. Besides saudi arabia, brunei, and the united arab emirates, there is still a fourth country where women can't vote in elections--and it's not in asia. What is it? Mysognia

2. Filmmaker warren miller has made over 100 documentaries about athletes in what sport? Long distance documentary making

3. What liniment company was best known for its advertising jingles serialized on roadside signs, which it debuted in minnesota in 1925?Scoolzone 40...the aftershave for the man who obeys speed limits

4. The princess in mario video games is named for what fruit? Kiwifruit, because only Mario could understand the term, "Beached as, bro."

5. What is by far the largest and most famous object in the kuiper belt? The kuipler buckle

6. What are the seven syllables used in the "solfege" system, which dates back to the 11th century but is still common today? Eff yoo cee kay jen ings fart

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these tv series--and no others that i can find? The dukes of hazzard, law & order, the love boat, the pioneers, saturday night live, the sonny and cher show, the troubleshooters. Aussies didn't really "get" them even though they were broadcast? Nah, that's not unusual. :
Old 22 January 2013, 07:19 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psihala View Post
Princess Kiwi?

~Psihala
(*Was she from one of the lesser known titles?)
My answers are never trustworthy, even when they're right. I tend to put down the first thing that comes into my head.

Besides, Satan's Hobbit agrees with me.

Seaboe
Old 23 January 2013, 07:47 AM

SatansHobbit, that made me LOL (especially Nos. 1, 2 and 5).
Old 29 January 2013, 08:57 AM

Default Last Week's Answers

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. Besides Saudi Arabia, Brunei, and the United Arab Emirates, there is still a fourth country where women can't vote in elections--and it's not in Asia. What is it? The only elected office in the Vatican City is its head of state--the Pope--and the only residents who get to vote, the College of Cardinals, are all male.

2. Filmmaker Warren Miller has made over 100 documentaries about athletes in what sport? He makes those skiing movies. (Well, not anymore. He retired. His company still releases skiing movies under his name that he had nothing to do with.)

3. What liniment company was best known for its advertising jingles serialized on roadside signs, which it debuted in Minnesota in 1925? YOU'RE HOME FREE / IF THE ANSWER YOU GAVE / TO QUESTION THREE / WAS BURMA SHAVE.

4. The princess in Mario video games is named for what fruit? She's a real Peach.

5. What is by far the largest and most famous object in the Kuiper belt? The Kuiper Belt is a region of bodies that circle our Sun out beyond the orbit of Neptune. Its most famous resident is the no-longer-a-planet Pluto, one of at least three dwarf planets in the region.

6. What are the seven syllables used in the "solfege" system, which dates back to the 11th century but is still common today? Do, re, mi, fa, sol (or so), la, and ti (or si), which will bring us back to do-oh-oh-oh.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these TV series--and no others that I can find? The Dukes of Hazzard, Law & Order, The Love Boat, The Pioneers, Saturday Night Live, The Sonny and Cher Show, The Troubleshooters. Each show had a cast member who also served in the U.S. Congress. Did I miss any? I think the "cast member" requirement limits this to shows starring a performer playing a role or roles, so no news shows (or similar) allowed!
Old 29 January 2013, 08:59 AM

Default This Week's Questions

Per Ken Jennings' request, the trivia challenge discussed on this message board has the number seven question delayed by one week. This is to avoid easy googling of the question which is designed to foil those who would "cheat". If you know the current number seven question, please do not discuss it here.

The Rules of the Thread
1. If you use the thread to help you get answers, do not submit those answers to the official game.
2. No googling until Sunday. No looking anything up anywhere (and posting it) before Sunday. No checking an article in a magazine you read last week. No checking some old notebook from college. No wikipedia. Not even snopes.com. No checking anything, anywhere - until Sunday. Only information that is stored in your brain, or in the brains of your non-snopester friends and family. But you can't use your family members as a work-around to looking up the information yourself.
3. If you google, don't post that information to the thread until Sunday. Not even as confirmation of the guesses of other posters. Someone else might still know the information on their own.
4. No guess is stupid, throw it out there.
5. No Hinting. If you have a guess or a reasonable belief that you have the right answer, post it. If you are attempting to use hinting as a work-around to the no posting googled answers rule, don't.

And remember, this is an exhibition, not a competition, so please... no wagering.

Hey everybody! I'm taking a break from a busy day of writing Dawson's Creek fan fiction to toss off the weekly trivia quiz. I hope that--much like my Dawson's Creek fan fiction--it brings a little Internet joy into a dull weekday.

Thanks to our ace grader (and--congrats!--new second-time mom) Lilly, the final standings are now up-to-date at http://ken-jennings.com/messageboard...php?f=3&t=9373 . I salute Barry Ford and Jenny Miller, winners of our last ten-week challenge and therefore puzzled new owners of a signed book by me: BECAUSE I SAID SO!: THE TRUTH BEHIND THE MYTHS, TALES, AND WARNINGS THAT EVERY GENERATION PASSES DOWN TO ITS KIDS. Hope that subtitle is long enough for you guys!

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What ancient book would you consult to interpret hexagrams numbered from 1 ("Force") to 64 ("Not Yet Fording")?

2. The CW's new show The Carrie Diaries is a prequel set about 15 years before what other TV series?

3. What will be the next year to be divisible by four that will *not*, nevertheless, be a leap year?

4. The only commissioned U.S. Navy vessel not in American hands is the USS Pueblo. The Pueblo is currently a captive of what country?

5. What's the more common name for Lophophora williamsii, a cactus listed as a "controlled substance" unless it's being used in "bona fide religious ceremonies"?

6. How many children appear with their "Migrant Mother" in Dorothea Lange's famed photo of that name?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these literary works? A Doll's House, Madame Bovary, Rebecca, Romeo and Juliet, Sons and Lovers, Steppenwolf, Tom Jones, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.
Old 29 January 2013, 09:04 AM

Default My guesses

Quote:
1. What ancient book would you consult to interpret hexagrams numbered from 1 ("Force") to 64 ("Not Yet Fording")?
I Ching

Quote:
2. The CW's new show The Carrie Diaries is a prequel set about 15 years before what other TV series?
Sex and the City

Quote:
3. What will be the next year to be divisible by four that will *not*, nevertheless, be a leap year?
If memory serves, that would be 2100 (divisible by 4 but not 400)

Quote:
4. The only commissioned U.S. Navy vessel not in American hands is the USS Pueblo. The Pueblo is currently a captive of what country?
North Korea

Quote:
5. What's the more common name for Lophophora williamsii, a cactus listed as a "controlled substance" unless it's being used in "bona fide religious ceremonies"?
Mescaline (sp?)

Quote:
6. How many children appear with their "Migrant Mother" in Dorothea Lange's famed photo of that name?
WAG - 3

Quote:
7. What unusual distinction is shared by these literary works? A Doll's House, Madame Bovary, Rebecca, Romeo and Juliet, Sons and Lovers, Steppenwolf, Tom Jones, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.
I have read only Rebecca and Romeo and Juliet, so ... no idea.

MacLloyd
Old 29 January 2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLloyd View Post
5. What is by far the largest and most famous object in the Kuiper belt? [...] Its most famous resident is the no-longer-a-planet Pluto, one of at least three dwarf planets in the region.
So as Nick pointed out I was wrong about Eris. It is not currently in the Kuiper Belt. But ask the same question in a couple of centuries and it will be! (Next to, of course, as Satanshobbit said, the Kuiper Buckle.)
Old 29 January 2013, 10:18 AM

The I Ching

Sex and the City

Peyote

2?

No idea.
Old 29 January 2013, 10:25 AM

The I-Ging.

I should know number 3. and 5., but I'm drawing a blank at the moment.
Old 29 January 2013, 10:54 AM

peyote
Old 29 January 2013, 12:38 PM

The heroine of the story commits suicide or is killed by poison.
Old 29 January 2013, 01:21 PM

Nora in a Doll's House does not.
Old 29 January 2013, 01:32 PM

1. What ancient book would you consult to interpret hexagrams numbered from 1 ("Force") to 64 ("Not Yet Fording")? I Ching

2. The CW's new show The Carrie Diaries is a prequel set about 15 years before what other TV series? Sex and the City

3. What will be the next year to be divisible by four that will *not*, nevertheless, be a leap year? 2100

5. What's the more common name for Lophophora williamsii, a cactus listed as a "controlled substance" unless it's being used in "bona fide religious ceremonies"? Peyote?

6. How many children appear with their "Migrant Mother" in Dorothea Lange's famed photo of that name? Four? (I can sort of picture it, but can't remember if it's 3 or 4)
Old 29 January 2013, 03:48 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLloyd View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

I Ching
Quote:
Sex and the City (man, and I don't even watch TV)
Quote:
Quote:
Cuba
Quote:
Mescal
Quote:
Quote:
They're all about unhappy housewives.

BTW, can anyone tell me why I can't get all the questions to be red and all the answers black? There always seems to be one that won't cooperate.

Seaboe
Old 29 January 2013, 03:58 PM

I am guessing, based on A Doll's House and Romeo and Juliet and what I remember of A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, that the last word in the work is a name.
Old 29 January 2013, 04:04 PM

Canada

I Ching
"Sex and the City"
2100?
The Democratic People's Republic of the Eternal Unicorn Blessings Blossoming under a Double Rainbow Best Korea
Peyote
I have the picture hanging in my office, so I'm going to abstain.
I need to read more, apparently.
Old 29 January 2013, 04:06 PM

Now I'm thinking that that's not actually true of A Doll's House. Darn it. I'm changing my answer to they have all been parodied by Monty Python, because I know that's true of A Doll's House.
Old 29 January 2013, 04:21 PM

#7 - an apothecary, perhaps?
Closed Thread