snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 03 May 2015, 12:34 PM

Default Texas Governor Deploys National Guard To Stave Off Obama Takeover

You see, there are these Wal-Marts in West Texas that supposedly closed for six months for "renovation." That's what they want you to believe. The truth is these Wal-Marts are going to be military guerrilla-warfare staging areas and FEMA processing camps for political prisoners. The prisoners are going to be transported by train cars that have already been equipped with shackles.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolit...ntent=20150502

Unfortunately not an Onion article. All of you rational folks in Texas, my spare room is open if you need it. I'm only sorry I don't have room for all of you!
Old 03 May 2015, 02:28 PM

The funny thing is when Obama leaves office and nothing that they've predicted has happened, they'll claim it was their vigilance that prevented it and not that they're paranoid nutjobs.
Old 03 May 2015, 04:21 PM

Y'know, I love Texas. It's my dream when I retire to spend time in Port Aransas, and go hiking in Big Bend again. I even like a lot of the people I met there in the past. But honest to God, that state is starting to scare the crap out of me.
Old 03 May 2015, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter_raven View Post
The funny thing is when Obama leaves office and nothing that they've predicted has happened, they'll claim it was their vigilance that prevented it and not that they're paranoid nutjobs.
Thats the frustrating thing about conspiracy theories - since they are pretty much based on paranoia and arenít real, there is always an out when they donít happen. If the government doesnít take away your guns, you can always claim that they were going to but you did x and that prevented it.

Itís really easy to provide an out explanation when something wasnít ever going to happen in the first place. The problem is that it just plays into a personís paranoia and reinforces bad beliefs.
Old 04 May 2015, 03:52 AM

Mouse

I'm starting to wonder if we should give Texas back to Mexico, but I have a feeling, Mexico would be like, "Hell no do I want my fingerprints on that train wreck!" Plus since I live in a state that unfortunately borders Texas, I don't wanna know what will happen if the Red River isn't enough to slow the stream of crazy.

Though given that experience has taught me that most crazy rightwing ideas are incubated in Texas, before spreading outwards...not sure if the Red River will do much to stop it.
Old 04 May 2015, 03:56 AM

Maybe we could build a wall?
Old 04 May 2015, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Maybe we could build a wall?
Only if you let me get on the correct side of it first.
Old 04 May 2015, 04:53 AM

One of top comments is a another one who wants to move to Canada because Obama doesn't represent him. Are they really so ignorant that they think Canada is going to offer them the conservative government they're looking for? Canada is your escape plan because Obamacare infuriates you?

If they want any hope of anywhere even remotely as conservative as the US, and presumably don't want to have to learn any commie languages, then Australia may be their only hope, but I doubt they'd find what they're looking for there if they can't handle Texas.
Old 04 May 2015, 05:21 AM

Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errata View Post
If they want any hope of anywhere even remotely as conservative as the US, and presumably don't want to have to learn any commie languages, then Australia may be their only hope, but I doubt they'd find what they're looking for there if they can't handle Texas.
Ah no. Australia is no where near the US in its brand of conservatism. Closest place to the current US extremes would probably be Russia. An no, that isn't a joke.
Old 04 May 2015, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cole View Post
Closest place to the current US extremes would probably be Russia. An no, that isn't a joke.
You seem to have overlooked the important comment regarding language. I'm assuming these morons are unwilling to learn a new one, otherwise why would Canada even be in the running? And I didn't suggest that Australia was as conservative as the US, I said it's the closest they would get speaking English, while still falling well short of how conservative the US already is.
Old 04 May 2015, 07:02 AM

Or they could just go to Somalia, where they wouldn't have to deal with the ever-present nuisance of functional government.
Old 04 May 2015, 07:30 AM

Seriously Errata, we don't want them. And all though our present government is trying to drag us back to the '50's we actually have universal health care (although it is watered down a bit). If we told them that would that scare them off do you think?

Oh we do have a town called Texas in Queensland, not really much to do with the thread but I thought I would let you know.
Old 04 May 2015, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
If we told them that would that scare them off do you think?
It doesn't seem to have dissuaded them from Canada.
Old 04 May 2015, 09:59 AM

MC have you ever been to the US and Russia? In 37 US states people of the same sex can get married. Free speech, free press, free market... Not seeing the comparison at all there. In what way I wonder, other than a few loud mouthed people in both.
Old 04 May 2015, 12:43 PM

MC was referring to the ideals of US wingnuts, not the actual reality in the USA.
Old 04 May 2015, 02:20 PM

Note that it is not the National Guard who Abbott has watching the Seals and Green Berets. but the State Guard. This is a another group.
Old 04 May 2015, 02:27 PM

Ah, thanks. NPR has corrected that headline since I posted it.
Old 04 May 2015, 02:29 PM

Well, at least we aren't discriminating against the mentally ill holding office in the US.
Old 04 May 2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errata View Post
One of top comments is a another one who wants to move to Canada because Obama doesn't represent him. Are they really so ignorant that they think Canada is going to offer them the conservative government they're looking for? Canada is your escape plan because Obamacare infuriates you?
Not the Obamacare, but the news stories that my Canadian friend make Harper look further right than the GOP.
Old 04 May 2015, 02:37 PM

A couple years ago a conservative co-worker kept saying that she and her husband were going to have an "exit plan" to get out of the us before it became "another Europe." I considered asking her where they'd go (not Europe, I assume), but decided against further engaging her on the topic.