snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Doctor Is In

Old 06 October 2014, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Ray View Post
People who are brain dead don't decompose; it's a myth.
A myth accepted in some academic circles, apparently.

That's a compelling link, thank you!
Old 06 October 2014, 03:36 AM

I'm not sure it's entirely a myth. The pdf in the link shows that there has to be a lot of intervention, at least initially, to keep the body "living." Having lost all brain function means that there has to be artificial regulation of things like hormones, body temperature, blood sugar, etc. If a totally brain dead person were simply maintained on a ventilator, their body would continue to break down because the brain is a necessary part of multiple systems.

Also, the linked case is noted as being remarkable. So it does disprove a statement that all completely brain dead bodies won't continue to "live," but it doesn't prove that doctors would be wrong to expect one to begin to break down.
Old 06 October 2014, 03:52 AM

It doesn't prove they're wrong to present it as a probability, but it does appear to give a reason why they shouldn't present it as a certainty, especially to families searching for hope.

Last edited by Little Pink Pill; 06 October 2014 at 04:01 AM. Reason: Rephrased
Old 06 October 2014, 04:18 AM

They aren't wrong to present it that way if a) they are right about the completeness of the brain death, and b) the hormonal and other interventions that were done for the linked patient are not being done for the OP patient.
Old 06 October 2014, 05:02 AM

The family are now admitting that her body is deteriorating.

Quote:
A day after winning the three-week battle to take their brain-dead daughter from Children's Hospital Oakland, the family of Jahi McMath conceded Monday they are losing the ghastly war against nature.

Her body, checked in at an undisclosed care facility Monday morning, has deteriorated so badly, that "Right now, we don't know if she's going to make it," said attorney Christopher Dolan.
http://www.mercurynews.com/science/c...ns-body-may-be

Last edited by erwins; 06 October 2014 at 05:07 AM.
Old 06 October 2014, 07:50 AM

That article is from January.
Old 06 October 2014, 07:54 AM

Good catch. I noticed later that I was getting stuff from then, but missed it on that article. I hadn't really noticed how far back the OP went until then, either.

Last edited by erwins; 06 October 2014 at 08:23 AM.
Old 21 March 2016, 01:36 AM

No Mother of brain dead teen Jahi McMath gives update on daughter's condition

http://www.fox29.com/health/109214134-story

Quote:
In her first public update in over three months, Jahi’s mother, Nailah Winkfield, released a photo on Facebook informing her followers of Jahi’s status, stating that she sees changes in her daughter that “Jahi as healthy and beautiful as ever, proving the naysayers wrong. A fighter, A warrior, A blessed child, Gods got your back little girl, keep fighting.”

In the letter, Winkfield also thanked everyone who had supported her as she fought to move her daughter to another medical facility.

“Your testimony will be a great one. Prayers going up from many, all the prayers, good wishes combined with your mothers love for you which is pure and soothing will definitely keep you going. Stay blessed everyone and thank you for your prayers and love.”
This is the saddest story ever
Old 21 March 2016, 01:38 AM

Icon05

Quote:
"Hopefully my daughter can change some of the ways brain death is viewed in today's society. Honestly, I think she already has.”
How? By creating a misleading impression of the reality of brain death?
Old 21 March 2016, 06:40 AM

The mother reminds me a lot of the MH370 woman who keeps insisting that since they have no evidence the plane has crashed, that they could still be alive (...where and why are of course, never answered). Both are stuck in the denial phases of grief and can't seem to kick start their way out of it, which is heartbreaking, but also worrying. I really don't how long someone can stay in that stage of grief and recover healthily.