snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Inboxer Rebellion

Old 26 September 2013, 07:53 PM

Soapbox Obamacare

Comment: There is a new thing on FB today about a guy named Shane Jansen and how his company is changing his health care stuff because of
"Obamacare"...

It's basically a link to the guy's FB page with the following (there are
pictures of the letter on his page too).

http://macbournes.com/?p=1126
Old 26 September 2013, 08:32 PM

$139.50 a month for traditional coverage with a $1500/3000 deductible and out of pocket? My employer hasn't seen anything like that for many years. That's a living dinosaur!
Old 26 September 2013, 09:00 PM

I was thinking something similar, wanderwoman. Ours is pretty low but that is because my husband works for a HUGE company. Before that we paid over $700 a month for a policy with a (IIRC) $5000/person deductible. Even doctor visits had to be included in the deductible.
Old 27 September 2013, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Iím now covered for a bunch of things I donít want or need, like mental illness inpatient and substance abuse inpatient treatment coverage.
Thankfully this person can see into the future and know exactly what illnesses, mental or physical, they'll be facing throughout their life. Does the author also parse out screenings for cancers they're feeling pretty good about, or perhaps cut out a slice of hospice care, since they're planning on living forever?
Old 27 September 2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallah View Post
Thankfully this person can see into the future and know exactly what illnesses, mental or physical, they'll be facing throughout their life. Does the author also parse out screenings for cancers they're feeling pretty good about, or perhaps cut out a slice of hospice care, since they're planning on living forever?
And obviously emergency care isn't going to need to be covered, since if you live in a cave, you don't need to fear getting in an accident with those new-fangled locomotives!
Old 27 September 2013, 04:42 PM

Only bad people need treatment for mental illnesses or substance abuse. No good person has ever become mentally ill or developed an addiction to alcohol or pain killers. [/just world fallacy]

Last edited by erwins; 27 September 2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old 27 September 2013, 04:45 PM

Roll eyes

Wow, our coverage costs never went up dramatically before Obama. Not once. [/sarcasm]
Old 27 September 2013, 05:04 PM

This is a bit of a hi-jack buuutttt...I was trying to figure out where I'd fall in the subsidy and how much it was going to cost etc. I don't even know how to get to the actual exchange yet. However, the math I saw put me at 180.00 a month and I don't have a clue what the deductibles and co-pays will be. I'm a big supporter of the ACA, but frankly I'm a bit worried. What they say I can afford and what I can afford are a bit far apart. I mean I get a subsidy which is great because if I didn't I'd have no health insurance or even the hope of it. On the other hand I don't know if I can come up with the amount I have to pay a month and still eat.
Old 27 September 2013, 05:10 PM

I don't recall the specifics off hand but one of my jobs deals with insurance pretty heavily and we have quite a lot of information about Obamacare and the subsidies seemed pretty generous.. That said I obviously don't know your specifics nor do I know how it will play out in reality.

I also don't have any of my paperwork here at home.
Old 27 September 2013, 05:24 PM

The big paradigm shift is that people need to completely reprioritize their budgets. Healthcare coverage is a priority that needs to be equivalent to having shelter, heat, and water. It isn't too hard to see what needs to give way if there's a budget that includes a smartphone plan and cable TV and internet, but it will be harder for those who don't have any nonessential budget items. But the fact is, it might need to come out of the housing budget, e.g., if there is room to get cheaper housing. It will be easier once the law has been in effect for a bit, and it's already budgeted in. It's the transition that's hardest.

No one wants to have to give up things they already have to get something as unexciting (to most) as health insurance, but most wouldn't drive a car without legally required coverage and spend that money instead on entertainment. This is even more essential than that.
Old 27 September 2013, 05:26 PM

It looks like Michigan is going the federal route. According to the website, pricing will be available October 1st. Until then, you can use this calculator to get a rough estimate of costs.
Old 27 September 2013, 05:41 PM

Hmmm, that looks a bit better. I wonder though, my 26 year old son lives with us. He works, but makes very little money. He's trying to move out. We don't claim him on our taxes, however, we provide everything except clothing and entertainment for him. Can I count him in my number in household?
Old 28 September 2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanz View Post
Hmmm, that looks a bit better. I wonder though, my 26 year old son lives with us. He works, but makes very little money. He's trying to move out. We don't claim him on our taxes, however, we provide everything except clothing and entertainment for him. Can I count him in my number in household?
I beleive that household size is based on who's on your income tax return as dependents, and no simply who is living in your home. I live with my cousin and her daughter in her condo, I'm 60 and work part time, and for purposes of taxes, food stamps and insurance I'm considered a separate household of 1. I'm not sure at what age your children are considered a separate household, I know that for health insurance in Maryland they can't be on your insurace once they are no longer in school full time.
Old 28 September 2013, 09:35 PM

Adult children can remain on their parents' insurance until they turn 26, regardless of student status, in any state. That's a part of the ACA that's already taken effect.
Old 28 September 2013, 09:36 PM

One of the changes in Obamacare is that if a plan covers dependents at all, they have to cover children of the policy holder up to age 26 regardless of whether the child is in school, married, or eligible for their own healthcare. Cite. IMU that provision is already in effect.

ETA: Spanked, more concisely.
Old 28 September 2013, 11:15 PM

I don't know a lot about the ACA, but I do know (because I looked it up) that Nebraska has decided to go to a 'marketplace plan management variant'. That could explain the increase in cost of various options. The marketplace idea doesn't seem to worked very well in the past and it seems they are trying to continue as they have been.
Old 28 September 2013, 11:37 PM

My dad has a retiree health plan through his former employer. The last time I talked to him, he mentioned they're no longer going to offer that benefit, supposedly because they won't be able to offer a better deal that what one could get purchasing insurance through the exchanges. If that's true, then I'd say that means the ACA is working -- now anyone can buy insurance through the exchanges for as cheap as what one used to only be able to get as a retiree benefit from a large company.

To be clear, my dad wasn't complaining about the ACA; he is a supporter of it. If he was complaining about anything it was the fact that the company he used to work for is using it as an excuse to drop the plan he currently has.
Old 28 September 2013, 11:51 PM

I am really disturbed by the number of companies I hear about that are responding to the law by circumventing its spirit--dropping health care coverage, raising the cost of coverage to encourage people not to get it and to get their own, cutting hours so people won't be eligible, etc. It's all really messy. I personally don't want a policy that is some kind of horrific HMO thing--which seems to be what most of these plans are, paying by patient and not by what the patient needs done. We're in for a rough transitional period, I think.
Old 30 September 2013, 01:53 PM

Major hijack here.

At a seminar I attended on the ACA the speaker said the name "marketplace" is now being used because there is no word in the Spanish language that translates to "exchange".

Anyone else hear this? Seems like more anti-immigration gibberish, but held my tongue at the time since it was the first I'd heard of it.
Old 30 September 2013, 01:55 PM

They may simply mean that the direct Spanish translation of the English word "exchange" does not convey the same meaning.