snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Doctor Is In

Old 08 August 2013, 04:47 PM

Default Sudafed vs. sudafed PE

These are two different drugs.

I hear the PE "does not work as well." But could not find any tests.

If I have allergy, I use an antihistamine. But for colds and during air travel I use Sudafed.

If PE does not work as well, can I take 2? The dose is 1.
Old 08 August 2013, 06:11 PM

Glasses

I am not a doctor, but I would never mess with dosage.

Here's the link to the Sudafed page... maybe you can find the information you need.

http://www.sudafed.com/
Old 08 August 2013, 06:33 PM

Taking more won't make it work better. More = better is a very misguided approach to medication.
Old 08 August 2013, 06:39 PM

Some people, including me, find Sudafed PE less effective. There is some science to back this up:

Experts question effectiveness of Sudafed replacement

Some people prefer Sudafed PE because it is less likely to make them jittery.

ETA: That links suggests that higher doses might be more effective, but they have not been tested for safety. I agree messing with dosage is risky, and I'd suggest taking the extra trouble to get the regular Sudafed, assuming it doesn't make you jittery.
Old 08 August 2013, 06:39 PM

"Does not work as well" is subjective. Some people do just fine with the PE (phenylephrine), but others find that pseudoephedrine works better for them. I'm in the latter group. I always buy pseudoephedrine, even though Florida requires me to stand in line at the pharmacy and produce ID to get it.
Old 08 August 2013, 06:43 PM

I think you have to do that in just about every state now. You do in Ohio. At least stores are starting to automate the process, instead of using a handwritten log book.

ETA: I'm not sure "subjective" is the right word, though. The difference may have to do with individual biology, like why some people can take muscle relaxants or Benadryl or naproxen and remain conscious, and I can't, but I can take prednisone or psuedoephedrine without getting hyper or jittery, and they can't.
Old 08 August 2013, 06:51 PM

Thanks Lainie, good link.

I worked for a company that made an antihistamine. The patients that sued us had a medical condition that allowed even them to take 1 safely. But they were all of the mind that if 1 did not work take 10. Some had serious results.

Don't ask for details. It had no Sudafed in it.
Old 08 August 2013, 06:59 PM

You can't even get it in Oregon without a prescription. Phenylephrine is the only version that's available over the counter here, which sucks because it doesn't work nearly as well for treating my symptoms but causes unpleasant side affects for me (mostly nausea, which is better than the uncontrolled vomiting my sister gets if she tries to take it).
Old 08 August 2013, 08:26 PM

I'm one of those people who apparently can't tell the difference, either in the 'doesn't work as well' way, or the 'side effects are different' way. Having said that, I also use it not as a decongestant, but because in combination with my allergy medicine*, it is the best thing I've found to relieve allergy symptoms. If I don't take both pills, I sneeze like crazy and get bloody noses; just taking one or the other is not nearly so effective.

When I first figured this out, I was really bothered by it because that's not what the medicine is supposed to do, but now I don't care so long as I'm not sneezing.

(*for the record, they do not interact negatively with each other, according several medical professionals.)
Old 08 August 2013, 08:38 PM

Antihistamines and decongestants are complementary medicines. Some allergy products contain a decongestant as well as an antihistamine -- that's what the "D" stands for in Claritin-D, for example.

I find Sudafed helps me when my nose is runny, because of its drying properties.
Old 08 August 2013, 08:47 PM

I know that now, but I'm always a little disturbed when medicine does something positive but totally different from what it says it should do.
Old 08 August 2013, 10:08 PM

I always get confused by the -PE, since I have a very pronounced reaction to psuedoephedrine, and have taken a holy vow on the lives of all those I love to never ever allow it to pass my lips unchallenged...

You almost can't buy it here, but the poor chemist always gets a grilling when I see the -PE on the bottle:

"That's the NOT p-ephedrine version, right? Are you sure, it's really NOT?..."
Old 08 August 2013, 10:21 PM

It's been my experience that despite pseudoephedrine not being illegal, its getting much harder to find stores that carry a full line of cold products with it. I've been fighting off a cold the last week and have had to rely just on Mucinex D, but I couldn't get ahold of Nyquil D to actually sleep through the night. So I have the choice every night of deciding whether it's better to try and sleep undrugged but also largely unbreathing, or drugged and wired (but breathing).
Old 08 August 2013, 10:45 PM

You could always stay up and post messages all over the internet. Then call in sick to work the next day.
Old 08 August 2013, 10:47 PM

You can't get it plain? You can buy a Nyquil that doesn't have a decongestant of any kind with it, and then take plain Sudafed. I tend to buy single-ingredient medications so I always get just what I need wen I need it. (Nyquil is actually the same medication as liquid Benadryl, but it tastes better.)

Look for Nyquil Zzz.
Old 08 August 2013, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Antihistamines and decongestants are complementary medicines. Some allergy products contain a decongestant as well as an antihistamine -- that's what the "D" stands for in Claritin-D, for example.

I find Sudafed helps me when my nose is runny, because of its drying properties.
Sudafed is also a stimulant, which helps balance out the soporific effects of most antihistamines.
Old 09 August 2013, 01:10 AM

I find pseudoephedrine products work better. They aren't ID products here quite yet but it's a matter of time, I suppose. After all for a long time there was no problem with my presciptions, now I either have to pick up my benzos myself of someone has to show ID. But they just ask if it's me, so it seems to defeat the purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tero View Post
Thanks Lainie, good link.

I worked for a company that made an antihistamine. The patients that sued us had a medical condition that allowed even them to take 1 safely. But they were all of the mind that if 1 did not work take 10. Some had serious results.

Don't ask for details. It had no Sudafed in it.
I can't take Gravol, and neither can my sister. We can't function. My sister was actually sent home once from work in a cab after taking one, and I had a very, very rough day - I wasn't sent home because a) I was driving b) it's hard to get a supply teacher at the drop of a hat. (The only time they did was the time I had gastroenteritis and had locked myself in the bathroom with a trash can. I literally did not leave the bathroom for 135 minutes. I know that from how long our learning blocks are. And he wasn't a very good supply. He made my co-op student do everything. I never even learned his name. Luckily I had an extremely capable EA that year to tell him what to do until I emerged.)

Anyway, we can't take it and be in a work environment. Benadryl is a little bit better, but not much. I had a very sleepy weekend on Benadryl after I rubbed latex dust into my eyes. It looked like I had smoked pot. I actually lost weight because I slept so much.
Old 09 August 2013, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
You can't get it plain? You can buy a Nyquil that doesn't have a decongestant of any kind with it, and then take plain Sudafed. I tend to buy single-ingredient medications so I always get just what I need wen I need it. (Nyquil is actually the same medication as liquid Benadryl, but it tastes better.)

Look for Nyquil Zzz.
Oh wow, I didn't even know about this option. Thanks for the advice
Old 09 August 2013, 04:15 AM

I looked it up and it's actually called Zzzquil. Sleep well!