snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Doctor Is In

Old 27 July 2013, 07:38 PM

Icon18 Night owls more likely to have Dark Triad of personality traits

Psychologists have found that people who are often described as “night owls” display more signs of narcissism, Machiavellianism and psychopathic tendencies than those who are “morning larks”. The scientists suggest these reason for these traits, known as the Dark Triad, being more prevalent in those who do better in the night may be linked to our evolutionary past. They claim that the hours of darkness may have helped to conceal those who adopted a “cheaters strategy” while living in groups.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/s...ty-traits.html
Old 27 July 2013, 08:16 PM

I've always been secretly suspicious of "morning people". Anyone who voluntarily gets out of bed before the sun is nice and warm is likely up to no good, and possibly crazy. They're probably also the ones responsible for proclaiming breakfast as the most important meal of the day. Shut up. I'll eat when I'm ready; 10:30 or 11:00 AM is a fine time.
Old 27 July 2013, 11:33 PM

Maybe the night owls are staying up at night just to get away from those annoying morning larks.. Have they thought of that? huh?

IMO, staying up at night is always been about being alone. I'm an introvert, and a lot of extroverts seem to be dapper little squirrels after the sun comes up. I stay up at night just to be by myself, and away from those people.

Actually, nowdays I sleep around midnight and get up at 5am. I spend time alone in the morning. It's really the same thing. I just have my alone time in the mornings
Old 27 July 2013, 11:48 PM

I'm an introvert and a morning person. Extroverts like to hang out together at night and do things like go to noisy bars.
Old 28 July 2013, 12:16 AM

Definitely a night owl. It's now summer vacation and my bedtime has shifted to around midnight. During the year I go to bed between 9 and 10 but that is simple necessity because if I don't get enough sleep I simply can't keep up with a room of 7 year olds. Even on the weekends I stay up later, though not midnight or I would be struggling to adjust every week.

I don't think I am really any of those things, though I was a bit self-involved for quite a while. However, my mother called me on it and was quite surprised when I decided she was right and changed my behaviour drastically. It wasn't anywhere close to narcissism. I am an introvert though. I do need my alone time.

I wish they had posted the questionnaire.
Old 28 July 2013, 01:05 AM

...or those personality traits could be caused by that chronotype. I don't have an immediate hypothesis for how, but it's a possibility that isn't even mentioned...
Old 28 July 2013, 02:44 AM

My problem is inertia. Once I get up and get going, I can stay awake, active, and productive for a very long time. Once I sleep, it's the same thing. I'd rather sleep for about 12 hours but I'm lucky to get 6 or 7. I think that my biological clock runs slower than most people - if I was in one of those experiments where you can stay awake or sleep without any outside influence, I'd probably settle in to about a 30 or 32 hours day - awake for 20 hours and asleep for 10-12.

So I'm not a morning person, but I've been getting up at 5:30am (or thereabouts) for work for over 10 years. Weekends I like to sleep in until about 11am, or when I get hungry.

One of the things is that from a young age I was taught to get up to go to the bathroom at night - that's still with me and I can wake up to pee and always go back to bed. Many people tell me that when they get that urge and wake up, they can't get back to sleep if it's anywhere near the time of their "normal" wake up. On weekends I still wake at 5:30am but go back to bed.
Old 28 July 2013, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero_Mike View Post
One of the things is that from a young age I was taught to get up to go to the bathroom at night - that's still with me and I can wake up to pee and always go back to bed. Many people tell me that when they get that urge and wake up, they can't get back to sleep if it's anywhere near the time of their "normal" wake up. On weekends I still wake at 5:30am but go back to bed.
Oh I am jealous. I had this ability but lost it. You are very lucky.
Old 28 July 2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Jay View Post
I'm an introvert, and a lot of extroverts seem to be dapper little squirrels after the sun comes up. I stay up at night just to be by myself, and away from those people.

Actually, nowdays I sleep around midnight and get up at 5am. I spend time alone in the morning. It's really the same thing. I just have my alone time in the mornings
Interesting theory. Hubby and I are both introverts, and we prefer to sleep from about 12-8. My son is an extrovert, and he would be up and at 'em at 5 am if we let him.
Old 28 July 2013, 03:09 PM

For kids and teens it is developmental. At least that is what I've been taught in childhood development and psych. My oldest son used to get up at 5 am when he was in 5th - 8th grade. Later not so much. I'll see if I can find a
cite

Last edited by Sylvanz; 28 July 2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old 28 July 2013, 03:24 PM

I must be schizoid or something. I'm both a night owl and a morning lark. Which is why I sleep twice a day. About 5 or 6 hours at night until I wake with the sun, and a 2-4 hour nap in the afternoon. I don't know what it says about my personality, but I'm a much happier person since I can now accommodate this sleep schedule on a daily basis. I get pretty grumpy any days when I have to stay up after lunch.
Old 28 July 2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanz View Post
For kids and teens it is developmental. At least that is what I've been taught in childhood development and psych. My oldest son used to get up at 5 am when he was in 5th - 8th grade. Later not so much. I'll see if I can find a cite.
So early bird adults are just immature?
Old 28 July 2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
So early bird adults are just immature?
Ha! Works for me since I'm one of those "Dark Triad" night owls. I'm with Cervus; I just don't trust those early birds.
Seriously though, I don't think I, personally display any of those dark traits, but I'm probably just a bit biased.
Old 28 July 2013, 05:47 PM

Mags me too. I would ideally be both a morning and evening and afternoon nap person but the world doesn't seem to work that way. I tend to skip the nap thing.
Old 28 July 2013, 06:55 PM

From the article cited in the OP:

Quote:
They were rated on scales for narcissism, the tendency to seek admiration and special treatment; Machiavellianism, a desire to manipulate others; and psychopathy, an inclination towards callousness and insensitivity.

To test each, they were asked to rate their agreement with statements like: “I have a natural talent for influencing people”, “I could beat a lie detector” and “people suffering from incurable diseases should have the choice of being put painlessly to death”.
Now wait a minute. What answer to that last one was presumably supposed to show "an inclination towards callousness and insensitivity"? A person who answered "no" might do so because they felt euthanasia is always morally wrong and for those people answering yes would be callous; but a person who answered "yes" might do so because they felt a strong empathy towards persons who were in such distress from the symptoms of incurable diseases that they wanted to die.

I'm not sure how useful the other two are either. The person who felt they could beat a lie detector might just know a good deal about lie detectors.
Old 28 July 2013, 07:08 PM

Why would it be callous to allow someone else the choice to do something you personally feel is morally wrong?

At any rate, typically, such tests have numerous questions to test for the same trait, so one question where someone's moral code or religion might dictate a particular answer isn't going to get them labelled a psychopath.
Old 28 July 2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
I'm an introvert and a morning person. Extroverts like to hang out together at night and do things like go to noisy bars.
I'm an introvert and a night person, and so is my daughter. We find plenty of quiet, solitary activities to engage in late at night. Reading is a favorite.
Old 28 July 2013, 09:14 PM

It was just a tongue-in-cheek response to the idea that morning people are extroverts because they are "dapper little squirrels."

I think introverts and extroverts can both be morning or night people, but I have found you're less likely to know if an introvert is a night person, because they're off doing their own thing.

My own evening solitary activities could, of course, easily carry on into the wee hours of the morning, if I were so inclined!
Old 28 July 2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Why would it be callous to allow someone else the choice to do something you personally feel is morally wrong?
I don't know, but I've seen and heard a batch of stuff from people who apparently feel that way.

Voluntary euthanasia for humans is illegal most places, and controversial in at least some where it's allowed; and my first reaction on seeing the question was that the ones who wrote the test probably thought that favoring it is the callous choice. I might be wrong about that.
Old 28 July 2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't consider that callous. It might indicate a greater moral rigidity, for lack of a better term.