snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Doctor Is In

Old 25 February 2014, 07:17 PM

Was he the one in charge of the envelope folding machine?
Old 25 February 2014, 07:21 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Was he the one in charge of the envelope folding machine?
Hahaha. No, that was the Stationery Engineer.

He was the one who designed, maintained and built the steam power boiler systems for driving machinery for GE from the 1920s to the 1960s, with a short break for WWII.
Old 25 February 2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadie View Post
And although looking up information on the internet is easy enough for a monkey to do it, getting the correct information and interpreting it is not as easy as it may seem. If it were, I wouldn't diagnose myself with colon cancer when my wrist hurts, which is the inevitable outcome of going down the rabbit hole that is the internet with little expertise. Twitching eyelid? Cancer. Ringing in the ears? Cancer! Rash on the knee? CANCER!!!!!
Really? You never come up with Lyme Disease? You obviously aren't trying very hard.
Old 25 February 2014, 07:32 PM

Or lupus (hint: it's never lupus).
Old 25 February 2014, 07:42 PM

Lupus is easy to cure, you just need to strengthen your body's immune system with acai berries.
Old 25 February 2014, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Or lupus (hint: it's never lupus).
I agree with this. I had a doctor tell me I had ankylosing spondylitis or lupus and to have a genetic blood test and come back in 6 months to find out.

It was neither.
Old 25 February 2014, 10:08 PM

Yes, UEL, you are correct about the finer points here - and I think you are perhaps unique in dealing with every possible non-professional version of engineer.

One of the keys to this is that when a person calls themself an engineer, and offers some kind of service to the public (not necessarily engineering, but similar - I'll get to an example in a moment), the term implies training, expertise, and/or licensing. Each one of the examples UEL gives, is indeed valid, but falls under a specific "exemption" if you will. A "combat engineer" does not provide services to the public, for example, and the "locomotive engineer" term dates back to even before the beginning of the "modern" practice of engineering. The thing is that Microsoft could not call their employees - even those with their own specific training - "engineers" without running afoul of this law.

And yes, having an engineering degree is not the same as being licensed and certified, any more than a law degree is equivalent to "passing the bar". There are a few notable differences in licensing procedure between the US and Canada - in Canada there are fewer engineering schools, so each school and program is accredited and audited by a review board. Graduating from that certified program means taking fewer exams - usually just a test of law and ethics - than if not taking them. There are ways of getting licensed without an accredited engineering degree - and this is the route often required for foreign-educated engineers. In the US, more technical exams are required of prospective PE candidates, as the engineering programs are too numerous to individually audit.

The protected terminology is different in the US, as even before I was certified as an engineer in Ontario, I was able to call myself an engineer (but not a "Professional Engineer") when working in a satellite office in New York State. The business cards I had then used the US office only, and I believe that the "protected term" in the US only extends to "Professional Engineer". My close friend is a physics graduate and has no licensing in the US, but is permitted to use the job title "Research Engineer".

I have encountered several people and firms who have used the term illegally - a stereo shop in my hometown referred to their sales staff as "sound engineers" in print ads - and was rebuked by PEO. A home inspector hired by my friend claimed to provide "engineering quality" - he was not an engineer, but claimed it was good enough that his assistant was an *engineering student*. Again, in providing services to the public, it implies something that does not exist, and is a deceptive business practice.

I am not aware of how this works with, say, PhD's and "medical doctors" - both are entitled to the title of "Doctor" but they have different meanings. I imagine that a person working in health care or a related field - say, massage therapy - could be a PhD and call themselves "Dr. Masseur", but that might be slightly deceptive.

I have been told that in the UK, the term is not protected and one might see a sign reading "engineer on duty" at an auto repair shop, referring to the mechanic as an engineer. This would never fly in the US or Canada.
Old 25 February 2014, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Some days that PE stands for Pure Evil. Others Purgatorial Entity. There's Parsimonious Earwig... We're petitioning to have National Strangle an Engineer Day added to the calendar.

(Did you know that you'll have to be fingerprinted for your next PE renewal? There's some unhappy people that just found that one out.)
Gee thanks Gayle.

And yes, I know about the fingerprinting. I hope they might accept my RACES or CERT investigations instead. If not, I hope our police chief will do it for me. I found an automotive rescue tool for breaking out glass and cutting seat belts the is small enough to fit on the key ring of a patrol car.

By the way, why do engineers have to have a background check and state legislators don't?
Old 05 April 2014, 06:08 PM

My pharmacist came in handy again.

I accidentally took an extra dose of one of my medications yesterday morning. Normally I take it once a day at night.

Now, the handy dandy information leaflet that comes with the meds tells you what to do if you miss a dose. But aside from the "seek medical attention immediately in the event of overdose" warning that pretty much all medications have, it didn't say what you should do if you accidentally take an extra dose. Particularly, I wasn't sure if I should take my next dose last night, or wait until tonight.

So I called up my pharmacist. After making sure I wasn't experiencing any major side effects from the extra dose, she advised me to skip last night's dose and wait until tonight. She also let me know that I might experience some withdrawal effects today, but that they'll go away after I take it again tonight. Because my pharmacist was able to help me with this, I didn't have to bug my doctor about it.

My pharmacist is great.
Old 08 April 2014, 07:17 PM

Working in medicine it is interesting the take on 'human error' and 'mistakes'. One one hand, yes, unlike most other professions a mistake in medicine may well mean killing somebody, and that needs to be given more weight than, say, forgetting to put the onions on somebodies burger. However, at the same time, everybody in every medical position is a human, and try as we might mistakes can and will happen.

I think that is important is to identify why the mistake happened, and take appropriate action. There is a lot of, for lack of a better word, corporate 'feel good' culture in medicine where policy is dictated by people who know very little about the actual job. In this case it's common for the notion of "zero mistakes" be stated, and sure that's a great goal but is it realistic?

To me, if a mistake is made you look at why to determine fault; did the person fail to follow appropriate safety protocols? Did somebody else fail to do so? Did the organization the person works for fail to follow safety protocols or provide appropriate training? Does the country as a whole have some missing piece in it's safety regulations?

Once you have determined why the mistake happened, you can decide what is the best action to take. If it was just a terrible mistake but no organizational problems are in place you can decide to fire or not fire, charge or not charge, but it's an isolated event. If there are missing logistics that could have prevented it (and said logistics are reasonable) then you should consider adding them in, or revising existing ones.

Two important things to keep in mind however:

1) Unless the problems are so endemic to the profession that virtually all elements are flawed it's unrealistic to blame the profession.

2) There is no point where you get to zero percent risk, and the closer to zero you approach the less return you get for your investment; people don't like hearing it, but even in medicine there are resources to be spent. Do you want to spend those resources to have ten pharmacists checking every patient's medications, or do you want to spend them to put in a CT scanner? You only have so much money, space and personnel and you need to choose how best to use that (this is true in all of medicine of course) and the fewer resources you allocate to a specific position the more likely there will be errors.