snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 14 January 2014, 05:57 PM

Default Attitudes in old TV shows and movies that surprise you

I'm home from work today, and I have an episode of "The Big Valley" on. Audra (Linda Evans) was the victim of an attempted rape, and her mother shot the perpetrator. (Apparently whom had been a friend of a family.)

Later on, Audra is blaming herself, saying she'd been flirting and smiling, and her mother states it was not her fault, it was a fault of the man in question.

I checked the run date of the episode--1965. This struck me as a forward-thinking attitude for that time, especially considering victim-blaming still happens now.

Any attitudes/thoughts in older TV shows/movies that strike Snopesters as very forward for the time period the show was actually *filmed*?

Magdalene
Old 14 January 2014, 06:10 PM

At the risk of sounding cynical, I suspect the reason that was the message was that Audra was a "good girl."
Old 14 January 2014, 06:25 PM

Borg

I was kind of surprised when I recently rewatched "The Mark of Gideon" episode from ST:TOS (I hadn't seen the full episode in a long time because it's one of the worst of the series) and observed that it includes references to sterilization, contraception, and a pro-life viewpoint in a conversation between Kirk and an official of Gideon. Certainly overpopulation was a big issue of the time, but to hear all that mentioned plainly on a network drama produced in 1968 caught me by surprise:

Quote:
HODIN: The birth rate continued to rise, and the population grew, until now Gideon is encased in a living mass who can find no rest, no peace, no joy.

KIRK: Then why haven't you introduced any of the new techniques to sterilise men and women?

HODIN: Every organ renews itself. It would be impossible.

KIRK: Then let your people learn about the devices to safely prevent conception. The Federation will provide anything you need.

HODIN: But you see, the people of Gideon have always believed that life is sacred. That the love of life is the greatest gift. That is the one unshakable truth of Gideon. And this overwhelming love of life has developed our regenerative capacity and our great longevity.

KIRK: And the great misery which you now face.
Old 14 January 2014, 06:40 PM

The episode of Gunsmoke with the Chinese guy. Some of the local thugs tried to run him out of town just for being Chinese. Marshal Dillon rescues him and makes a speech about how anyone is welcome in his town, regardless of ethnicity. It is also later revealed that he doesn't even have a Chinese accent, he just fakes one because racists all over find him easier to deal with if he's a caricature.

I thought these were some pretty forward thinking issues for the 50's.

Last edited by Amigone201; 14 January 2014 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 14 January 2014, 07:00 PM

You mean Gunsmoke, right? I haven't seen that show in years.
Old 14 January 2014, 07:11 PM

Haha, yeah. Damn autocorrect. This is what gets people into trouble.

I fixed it.
Old 15 January 2014, 02:34 AM

I was surprised by an episode of I Love Lucy that tackled domestic violence (not in a Very Special Episode way, but still). With as much as Lucy pretended to be afraid Ricky would hit her, when Fred and Ethel thought he actually had, they did everything they could to convince her to leave him. And Fred told Ricky he needed to learn to manage his anger, etc. All very surreal.